Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dedicated 3 Gun pistol 5 inch or 6 inch

sb3

I know this has probably been discussed to death but I haven't heard all I need to hear yet. I really only want to do this once and I am on a reasonable budget. I can only afford one pistol, I mainly shoot 3 gun (assuming it is still legal after this winter) I shoot USPSA (limited) as well but I am OK with shooting minor the rest of my life (I have some wrist injuries that have made decisions for me). If I can only build one pistol for both (Yes it needs to be 9mm) what is my best bet 5 inch Edge type or full on 6 Inch. Recoil, speed and accuracy are key. Sadly I want to say recoil is not an issue but it needs to shoot soft. I really want to build one while I still can. Should I get a 5 inch limited gun and have the ability to build a 6 inch top end someday? Is it reasonable to think of building a 6 inch top end for a 5 inch frame later on? Should I just Go six from the start? What are the pros and the cons? Either way I would like to get a frame picked up before its too late, so I am trying to decide between 5 and 6

Thanks

I have a 5 inch Para 16/40 LTD I bought a 6inch 9mm Para upper for it. This will be my 1st year with it. It shoots way better than I can and it was a simple matter of swapping uppers not fitting was needed. I have a 18/9 LDA so I already had mags. I put the Dawson base pads on and get 23 reloadable.

Just my $.02

IF I was looking for a dedicated 9mm 2011 for 3Gun, I would seriously consider the 5.5" style that Freedom Gunworks offers. I see the fascination of the 6" guns, but I really don't see the need for the 6" in 9mm whereas with .40, there is some benefit. There are more top 3 gunners runing slides under 5" than 6" BTW. In the end, the 5" would probably get the nod. I researched this for close to 4 months and tried everything I could get my hands on...had a lot of malfunctions on 6" guns from different builders while all of the 6" guns ran like a top. In the end, I went a different direction altogether, but I did come to the conclusion that the 9mm in 6" had more drawbacks than benefits.

Which way did you go, Mark?

I think the extra sight radius of the 6" gun is the reason to use it. I think that the 5.5" gun offers some degree of comprimise; little more sight radius, but not SO long. The function issues of any custom build should be dealt with by your builder.

I had a 5in .40 and now shoot a 6in 9mm for 3gun. I like the sight radius of the 6in gun it makes hitting those little knockdown squares easier at distance. My 6in gun is also lighter than my 5in gun was so it feels "faster" to me.

20113_zpsfec36afc.jpg

A little off topic but what is the full dust cover gun in the background of this picture? Looks interesting.

The ones I was trying mostly had FTFs. They would eject, but would not chamber the next round reliably. One was built by a local smith and 2 that were built by "famous" name smiths. There are obviously a few guys out there that can make them run out of the gate. Personally, the "sight radius" thing is overblown. There are all kind of variables in sights and you still have to match the width to your style and eyes.

I was not recomending you get an M&P BTW.

Im not a 3 gunner but something to consider is that if sight radius was the most important thing when considering a new pistol everyone would run a G34 or XDm 5.25 in production and yet everyone seems to want a CZ SP-01. I would try to shoot both and choose the one that feels most natural when using it.

I had a 5in .40 and now shoot a 6in 9mm for 3gun. I like the sight radius of the 6in gun it makes hitting those little knockdown squares easier at distance. My 6in gun is also lighter than my 5in gun was so it feels "faster" to me.

20113_zpsfec36afc.jpg

A little off topic but what is the full dust cover gun in the background of this picture? Looks interesting.

1998 Vintage SVI Limited gun.

Thanks Benny, I may be giving you a call soon. So for 9mm will the sti tubes work at all or should I shell out for the sv bodies from the start? Also will the SV mags work in the sti frame without modification or do they need any work?

Although I don't shoot 3-gun with 9mm (except when I shoot open), if you have a 5" gun, and a 6" gun, that are equal in accuracy, from a soid rest, or a Ransom rest, you will find that you will(should) be able to shoot the 6" more accuratly offhand, due to the longer sight radius.

With most of the big, 3-gun matches using little plates, I would/do use a 6".

• 10 months later...

I realize this thread has been dead for a while, but no one has said a word about the CZ TS. I just got a Tactical Sport 9mm for 3gun (and because I have always wanted one). It shoots great, has a great trigger to start with, and has plenty of parts available from CZ Custom. The mags hold 23 reloadable with extended base pads and I'm told 24 with grams guts. It comes with the 5.4" barrel and sight radius. It comes full dust cover but that can be trimmed back to what ever balance you want. And you get all this at half the price of a 2011 (and uniqueness points!).

Just another option!