Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holsters

goose2125

So i finally got off my butt and took the leap!!! I orderd a Hard chrome SM from dawson today. Now im tryin to do sum research on a descent holster. Im not neccesarily lookin for a full blown race holster i am looking for something i can draw quick with but i really need one that will hold the pistol very securly as i want to be able to run without wondering if it is gonna fallout or not. Also as im sure their are less option i am a left hander.all info would be much appreciated.

My Blade Tech Stingray w/o DOH I can get a consistent .9 draw to first shot with my Single Stack gun. I use a CR speed for limited and get a consistent .7...with that being said I am starting to use the stingray for everything since it is much more reliable for 3gun than any speed holster. And I don't want to change my draw stroke for every match.

Its an open gun so a Kydex rig really isnt practical. The Racer or Racemaster is hard to beat, the lock is very easy to disengage on the draw if need be ie weird start positions chair," bed" etc. When it is locked its not coming out and has more retention than Kydex

My vote goes for the DAA Racemaster, very secure even with the lock off. Its fast, and with the lock on there's no way that gun is coming out. You'll rip your pants off and give yourself a massive wedgie before that gun comes out (don't ask how I know haha). And with that lock on its very easy and intuitive to disengage for unsual starts like sitting on a stool, lying down, etc. Another option is the lower cost DAA Racer holster which came out after I got my RM.

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Double-Alpha-Racer-Holster-Left-Hand-P2357.aspx

love my RM and I think its worth every penny

I prefer the Ghost to the Race Master. I am now using one of Manny Bragg's new holsters with both my open and limited guns. Check it out at the Universal Shooting Academy Pro Shop site. Any other holsters you might be interested in are available from Shooters Connection. They are great people to deal with.

So i finally got off my butt and took the leap!!! I orderd a Hard chrome SM from dawson today. Now im tryin to do sum research on a descent holster. Im not neccesarily lookin for a full blown race holster i am looking for something i can draw quick with but i really need one that will hold the pistol very securly as i want to be able to run without wondering if it is gonna fallout or not. Also as im sure their are less option i am a left hander.all info would be much appreciated.

Might be a dumb question, but why would you be running with the pistol in the holster?

While uncommon I can remember several stages that required running with a holstered gun. There was a rope swing a few years back at one of the Universal matches in Frostproof as one example. You needed to use the rope to swing accross a gap before drawing the gun. Several people DQ'd with holsters with poor retention. My DAA Racemaster worked great but my old Ghost would have made me very nervous.

My girlfriend uses a DAA race master. You can unlock the holster and turn the entire belt upside down and the gun will not fall out. Its extremely secure for a race holster. With the lock on, i pulled till it felt like i was going to tear the belt off.

I have been super impressed by that holster, and would not hesitate to buy another one.

For 3 gun, i would not use any holster without extremely secure, carry style retention. No competition holster i have ever seen would fit that bill. Thats me personally, because i don't mind dropping sprinting/sliding/flopping into position and hate removing my gun for certian stages. For someone else, it might work fine.