Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Engaging safety on reloads

G34 CORDY

Hello all, here is the scoop. I have been shooting production with a Glock 34 for awhile sold it then bought a Shadow Custom from CZ'S Custom Shop a few years ago. I shot my first production match today in almost 2 years because of working alot. I was getting very frustrated today having good runs but during some reloads I was engaging the safety and adding time to my run after figuring out the safety was on. Does this happen to anyone else? The safety is small so I cant put my thumb over it like a 1911 or so. Any advice would be great. Thanks

I've never accidentally engaged it, and my thumb rests on it when I'm shooting so even if I accidentally did, I'd flip it down naturally when I aim because that's where my thumb goes.

Is there enough resistance in your safety? Might need to stretch out your safety detent spring maybe.

• 2 months later...

Hmmm..... Does the phrase "Pick one and practice" strike a bell? Anytime you start switching back and forth there are gonna be issues.

I have been shooting my CZ since 2009 so what gun have I been switching to?

It does engage easy I will look into that. Also I believe I need more practice with the gun after shooting my G34 ALOT more. The da to sa and safety I need to work more at.

Perhaps this?

A friend's wife that we shoot with seems to engage her safety on the reload. (1911 platform) I think she tends to hit it when she shifts her grip to engage the mag release. She loses seconds on pretty much every reload, but the grip shift is so natural she can't seem to break the habit, despite him putting on an extended mag release, etc. Maybe something to look into? Hope it helps...

A friend's wife that we shoot with seems to engage her safety on the reload. (1911 platform) I think she tends to hit it when she shifts her grip to engage the mag release. She loses seconds on pretty much every reload, but the grip shift is so natural she can't seem to break the habit, despite him putting on an extended mag release, etc. Maybe something to look into? Hope it helps...

It does have a extended mag release. I don't have a problem with my Tactical Sport but I guess I brush up against the safety just enough to engage it but its easy to engage compared to my other guns with safeties.

Sounds like maybe a combination of the easy safety and what's probably the web of your hand sweeping it on? Stronger spring might help... Also might have somebody with a different tecnique try it just for kicks? Seems there is always a volunteer to shoot somebody else's gun!!! ROFL

I replace those safeties with either the sp01s or the thins if I'm never gonna use them. I also replace the mag release with a sp01. My grip is to high to ride the safety sitting that low anyway.

I replace those safeties with either the sp01s or the thins if I'm never gonna use them. I also replace the mag release with a sp01. My grip is to high to ride the safety sitting that low anyway.

+1