Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Critique my Open Glock Idea

Craig N

I wanna build a Glock Open gun to run 9mm Major. My part list is as follows for a G34

1) SJC 11 port comp/KKM barrel

2) Dawson hardchormed brass magwell

3) C-More STS and dovetail mount (slide ride)

4) Glockworx Stainless Steel recoil rod and 14 lb spring

5) Mag release with a button on it

6) Slide racker that replaces the backplate (from Brownells)

7) 4 Taylor Freelance +8 (+10 in 9mm) on new glock mags

8) DAA Racemaster and pouches/belt

Anyone see any holes in my plans or have any advise as to what to change or add. I'm basically just trying to get one outta the gate with "bolt on" DIY stuff.

One question.

Have you fired a Glock Open gun @ MAJOR PF?

No but I have shot a few 38 supers. I know it's not the same thing but I figured it was close

You should shoot one before you invest much money or time into one. They are NOTHING like the STI based 9's and 38's. NOTHING.

I would go with a g17 not a 34. I have a 35 open gun and a 17, the 17 seems to handle a lot better. I would go with the sjc magwell before the dawson, the mouth is bigger making for easier reloads. I would also get a frame mounted red dot. I have never shot a red dot mounted on the slide but I would think with the slide moving it would make follow up shots a little more difficult. I would also get a full sized c more, I have the sts on my 35 with a sjc mount, I like the dot and mount but on my 17 I have the sjc sideways mount with the full sized c more. If I could sell my sts and mount I would probably do so to swap over to the side ways mount on my 35. Look at the sjc parts, I really like their products. The mag release imo is a must have. The taylor mag extensions are also a must have, I can get 28 in mine!

Agree with the advice to try an Open Glock before you build one. With patience you can find a used, competitive STI or SV or Caspian open gun that costs the same or less. Designed my own open G17 a few years back, LOVED shooting drills and doing dry-fire practice at home with it; liked it not so much at matches. At that time John (now at SJC) advised to not use a G34 slide as his had some cracks form where Glock lightens the slide internally to match the weight of the G17 slide.

Something to think about is that in Production (minor scoring, lots of mag changes, basic guns) you have a lot of time to make a good trigger press, over & over, every shot of the match. In Limited you have less time to make good trigger presses, versus your fellow Ltd competitors. In Open you have next-to-no time to make good trigger presses, compared to your Open competitors. So ask yourself (and be aware when shooting practice & matches) - How fast/accurate can you crank out shots with your Glock?

I understand that. That's how I got started too was by asking questions. Just trying to point out a few things I've learned along the way that no one brought up when I posted something similar. No matter what you go with, test, practice, and have fun.

I have 1 question. Why are you going to buy 4 TF +8's? IMHO all you really need is 1 maybe 2 of those and just get a couple of the +5's. You really don't need 4 170mm mags on your belt. 1 170mm and 2 or 3 140mm mags is all you really need. Just my 2 cents.

I have 1 question. Why are you going to buy 4 TF +8's? IMHO all you really need is 1 maybe 2 of those and just get a couple of the +5's. You really don't need 4 170mm mags on your belt. 1 170mm and 2 or 3 140mm mags is all you really need. Just my 2 cents.

X2 I only have one 170mm mag and only use it when there is advantage to doing so. I have 4 140mm mags, three on the belt and usually start the stage with the fourth one, but three would be just fine.

• 2 months later...

You should shoot one before you invest much money or time into one. They are NOTHING like the STI based 9's and 38's. NOTHING.

This is true, however I as well as others can shoot a 9 major custom Glock just as fast as a custom 2011. The game has changed with the advancement of the Glock trigger it is what it is :-)

I played IPSC Open w/ a Glock 17 open gun for 1 yr. While I trained myself to run it as best as I could, the big downside to my experience were the reddots. I formed an ipinion that w/ contineous pounding of maj. 9, the platform itself can handle the load, but the dot wouldnt last. And some after market parts too. I tried a lot of different reddots but my longest roundcount is about 3k for a dot. I dunno if this were also true w/ 2011s. My biggest + is its light weight, rugged, reliable, cheap to maintain (if not for the dot) and not very dependent on pro gunsmiths' work.

I would go with an sjc mount for the optic because mounting the optic on the slide can bang up the scope and i would use the cmore slide ride as i find the sts has a window that is really small and finding the dot is quite difficult.

I have a Glock 17 open.

KKM Precision G17B1

SJC 9mm Compensator 5 port Aluminum

SJC C-More mount (gunsmith installed by SJC)

Ejection port lowered by gunsmith SJC

SJC Slide Racker

SJC Extended Mag Button

Tungsten Recoil Rod GMTGR20C-2

Wolf recoil Spring

Zev tech competition spring kit

Zev tech Race Connector

Cmore slideride

The previous post about the Glock being a different feel than a STI in 9 Major is correct. I have an Open Glock 17, at major P/F it is a definite POP to the hand. STI's seem to transfer the recoil significantly better. I have a Carver comp on mine and it works OK, still not as flat as a STI 2011 type pistol.

I have loaded Major P/F, but stopped due to my groups spreading wide. As long as I shoot under Major, my Glock will hold tight groups.

Mine has a Lone Wolf barrel, Carver comp, and the stock trigger bar but I have the titanium striker, spring kit with 3-1/2 connector. All components have been polished. Trigger pull is just under three pounds and 100% reliable with Winchester primers.

I haven't built my Open gun yet, so I can't commnet on a lot of the stuff you have listed, but I have an extended Mag release on my current Limited Glock and have tried the ones with the buttons. I originally put a Zev extended mag release on mine, and I loved it for normal shooting.

Then I did a couple of stages were you were forced to shoot off hand. It dug into the webing of my left hand, bad enough that I was bleeding a little at one point. I tried rounding off the edges with a file, tried reshaping it, but nothing solved the issue.

Now I use a Glock factory extended mag release and no longer have the issue. With a little practice, it's just as fast and easy to find with my finger as the Zev one was.

Not everyone will have this issue, but I am not the only one I have heard with this issue. You may want to try one left handed before you buy.

Edited by Tuflehundon

I own a Carver built G17 9mm Major Glock, runs like a champ,KKM Barrel,5 Port Sjc Comp,C-More Slide Ride-on an SJC Frame Mount- DO NOT MOUNT an STS into the Dovetail & Definately have the ejection port lowered!!!!