Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Craig N

Any port in a storm right? For the most part Tula makes a decent product whether it be primers or ammo. I see the occasional steel case stuff laying around after a match. Also S&B is fairly cheap and it gets used as well.

To me what makes the cheap stuff less than ideal is the bullet weight/powder combinations that are available, not it's perceived cheapness.

If you have swapped out any springs you may run into ignition issues. I painfully watched an G34 with competition spring pack not reliably light primers for a match.

I've shot both Tula and Monarch steel cased stuff through my CM9 with no issues to report. Smells funny but runs fine.

Edited by OUshooter

Be careful that you magnet check the ammo because a lot of the Tula is steel jacketed with a copper plate. We had to DQ a guy locally due to this when we saw sparks popping when he shot steel.

Just curious.....what rule was cited for the DQ?

Be careful that you magnet check the ammo because a lot of the Tula is steel jacketed with a copper plate. We had to DQ a guy locally due to this when we saw sparks popping when he shot steel.

Most likely:

10.5.15 Using metal piercing, incendiary and/or tracer ammunition (see Rule

5.5.3), and/or using any ammunition which has been deemed unsafe by

a Range Official (see Rule 5.5.5).

I wondered about this as well. It's most likely not technically metal piercing ammo but if it is sparking on steel then it is certainly unsafe ammo.

Most likely:

I wondered about this as well. It's most likely not technically metal piercing ammo but if it is sparking on steel then it is certainly unsafe ammo.

In principle I don't disagree, but by rule I do. If I can't DQ a shooter for ammo that has had 1 squib per stage for the last 4 stages then I don't see how ammo that "sparks" on a popper is "unsafe".

Edited by OUshooter

Most likely:

In principle I don't disagree, but by rule I do. If I can't DQ a shooter for ammo that has had 1 squib per stage for the last 4 stages then I don't see how ammo that "sparks" on a popper is "unsafe".

My guess would be that steel jacketed ammo will react differently on steel by not deforming as well as copper or pure lead. Ricochets come to mind as being a serious concern.

Why would you think that ammo causing squibs is the only type of ammo that could be "deemed unsafe" by a range official?

Mike

Why would you think that ammo causing squibs is the only type of ammo that could be "deemed unsafe" by a range official?

Mike

Squibs was just the example I was thinking of that is given a specific exception in the rules.

10.5.15.1 Ammunition declared unsafe by a Range Official due to multiple squibs, shall not subject the competitor to disqalification.

I've seen overpressure ammo lock up open guns and was deemed unsafe. None others come to mind as I type, but I'm sure there are other examples.

I do think steel coreish pistol ammo would count as "unsafe" in my book, but I also think its a somewhat tricky line in the sand to draw. I guess I was mainly trying to draw attention to the fact that our rule book make a clear exception for ammo that could cause a very dangerous situation.

I would hope that a fellow competitor who experienced multiple squibs in a match would voluntarily withdraw, so protect themselves and the rest of the squad.

Edited by OUshooter

If you deem the ammo unsafe, and the competitor continues to use it, then they are subject to DQ. I think 10.5.15(.1) is saying you can't be DQ'd for squibs, but you scanbe DQ'd for continuing to use unsafe ammo.

I agree unless they considered it metal piercing ammo since it had a steel jacket?

5.5.5 Any ammunition deemed unsafe by a Range Officer must be immediately withdrawn from the match.

10.5.15.1 Ammunition declared unsafe by a Range Official due to multiple squibs, shall not subject the competitor to disqualification.

For me to DQ somebody for this I would have to know that they know it is metal piercing ammo. If I saw sparks I would stop the shooter for sure. Then we could go about the business of determining what is up with the ammo. The ammo would be done but not necessarily the shooter.

I used Tula and Monarch for practice a lot. My G34 with competition trigger work would not reliably ignite any steel cased 9mm. My M&P Pro 9 with APEX competition kits eats the steel case 9 with no issues. Not picking a Glock versus M&P discussion - just pointing out that some pistols (especially with trigger work) will not reliably ignite the steel case 9 primers.

Does anyone use the el cheapo tula 9mm ammo for matches? I know a lot of people use it for practice. Just wondered if anyone did since its cheaper than most 9mm bulk.

I have been shooting aguila ammo at matches for more than a year now and I have never had any problems with it. Its prices are fairly compairable to tula ammo, and it has a brass case. I have shot tula ammo before and had one out of ten not fire.

http://www.sgammo.co...nition/9mm-9x19

Edited by Jromanowski

Would sparking ammo that set the brush on the berm of an outdoor range be considered unsafe?

That could be a big concern for us here in OK. With the drought conditions here a grass fire would be a serious issue.

Is this a range by range issue? Can a competitor get a DQ for violating standing range rules? I fear we have strayed for the OPs intent.

I bought one box before I started loading and was just into plinking, way before I started P.S. competition.

I shot about half of the box and was not happy with the accuracy. I could shoot a 2" group at 60" with WWB, but Tulammo was a bit all over the place.

At that point, between two reloads, the RO tapped on my shoulder and told me that I was shooting steel core ammo and that it was illegal at that range (Caswell's in Mesa). I finished with WWB and I could tell it was a lot more accurate, although with more power.

I still have that half box in my safe. I intend to just give it away. Not impressed, not worth the 10% saving if you don't reload.

And you cannot reload that brass.

In case of a zombie assault, if my last retreat is my gun room, then I probably would use that Tulammo.