Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody have an STI Steel Master that doesn't stovepipe ?

sandrooney

That works if he has a local smith that knows how to tune it. If not, the mount either a 90 degree or an offset upright if he likes the upright is a much cheaper route to go. The mount costs about as much as the shipping to get the gun to a smith. The vertical offset is a vertical mount that is moved over to the left a little to give a little more clearance

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gun had similar issues stovepiping once every couple hundred rounds. The final solution involved:

- Using an extended and TALLER ejector. Machining the slide to use the taller ejector at full height.

- Putting the contact point on the ejector at the very top, and to the outside. Do this by filling slight angles on the face. I also had to shorten it a little to eject an unfired round at 1.170" length.

- Lowering ejection port

- Aftec, my gun likes just one spring installed in the front. Both springs is too tight and the gun doesn't go into battery sometimes.

- 10lb recoil spring.

My gun had zero jams this past season.

Edited by jid2

One more thing, I don't know what kind of lube you are using, but my Steel Master likes the Slide Glide Light except when the temperature gets below 50. Below 50, I switch to a more fluid lube (Rem Oil actually). At US Steel Nationals this past year 4 of us were shooting Steel Masters in my squad and two of the guys were having failures. After a few stages, I asked them what they were doing for lube and if they would mind trying the Slide Glide. When we took their guns apart at the safe table, both guns were dry as a bone inside. The fluid lubricant was gone. Put the Slide Glide on and they both ran failure free the rest of the match. Just a suggestion, but might not be your problem in this instance.

Matt Cheely tunes 9mm's to run flawlessly. He uses an offset mount with some material removed from the edge of the mount as well. Tunes the ejector, etc. Mine has run for a year and a half with no ejection issues whatsoever. The problem can be fixed without going to a 90 degree mount or switching to 38 super. It just needs the right guy to make some adjustments.

90 degree mount isnt really a bad thing if you like the Index. When I first got mine I ran the verticle. I have just gone to a 90 degree myself as for me its easier to transition between iron sights and a dot. With the verticle, it was fine if I shot open only. Mine is a modified STI trubore with the slide lightened and 2 holes added as well as a racker cut and aftec. If you have the 90 degree ordered give it a shot, it might index better for you than the verticle

I had the exact same problems with my steel master that you have. First install an aftec. Then you have to take the scope mount off of the gun. Then fire it and tune the ejector so that the empty cases come out low. The brazos instructions and extended ejector did not work and in fact made things worse. i had to shorten the ejector like the pics above. Look at the gun and you can see the further back it ejects the more room to clear the mount. Mine now actually ejects below the exposed plastic part of the cmore. I am also running a7 lb spring. You must tune it all before putting the mount back on. The hotter the ammo the flatter mine ejects now. After about 3k and 5 matches not one malfunction. I did have maybe two graze the cmore on the way out but no jamming. Love the gun now but at one point i would have smashed it! Pm me if you need more info.

Thanks Guy's I will try all these suggestions and keep you posted. The Quinn iii arrived but would not fit it was to low and the scope hit the slide so I sent it back. I really did not want to use it anyway. Thanks a lot for all the help.

SR

I agree with Jimbo76. I too had the exact problem. I bought it new and had stovepipe s but chucked it up to breaking in and was afraid to adjust anything. After 1200 rounds the problem persist but as supermoto said I believe it should run with the mount it came with . I reload and went from 125pf to 132pf and as jimbo76 the cases ejected flatter . This is without changing anything. All that said I have 3000 through it without issue but I know people who changed the recoil master to a full guide rod, aftec extractor and 90 degree mount and thiers run fine too. I just know when a gun jams there is no more frustrating thing .

It could be a multitude of things, are your mags tuned?

I went thru similar problem for a year, before I realized it was always one magazine

that had stovepipes. My other mags did not have stovepipes. That was after a

full year of chasing all the other theories about ejectors, ammo, etc.

Very easy to determine if it's only one mag. :cheers:

What can you do to fix the mags ? Thanks

Before you do anything with mags - check and see if it's an isolated

problem - if it's only one mag, then you know you can stop messing

with your ammo, ejector, sights, etc.

Short-term, you stop using that one mag - then you diagnose the

problem with the mag - springs? lips? Or buy new mags?

:cheers:

Ditto what most others said. However, all this really requires is ejector tuning at the range. Watch the ejection port of the gun to see how the brass ejects each time you fire it. I would say start with the contact point almost at the very top of the ejector and slowly work your way down with a square diamond file. You can not get the contact point consistent enough with a Dremel in my experience. Myne ended up being about 1/2 way down to consistently shoot the gap between the scope mount and the ejection port of the slide.

If the brass is inconsistently being ejected and the contact point is consistent along the ejector (ie the beveled point is not on the far right or left side of the ejector, it is centered all the way across), this means you have an extractor problem - usually a dirty Aftec. You can tell this when some brass are shooting the gap perfectly centered and some still occassionally get shot up into the scope mount. That being said, you have to be good on your ejector before you can properly diagnose this particular issue. You'll know you're good when 4 out of 5 or so consistently shoot through the gap perfectly centered and you just have that damn occasional one that goes right up into the stupid scope mount.

I would never recommend mag tuning for this particular problem because I would always recommend the Dawson mag tuning kit as a guide to use before doing anything else. If your mags are to spec with that, i.e. the feed lip width at about .355", it aint the mags. Even if the mags are stock, I would bet the mags would never realistically cause the problem you are describing.

None of the springs in the gun would, save for the Aftec springs if it is found to be an extractor problem after fixing the ejector.

A recoil spring will never realistically fix this problem. It's only a bandaid that *might* (*very rarely) make the symptoms of the issue hide for a little while.

Edited by Whoops!

I will try this.. Tis may solve my problem.

Rocketcity1911,

If you could post some picks that would be great.

Thanks,

SR

Sorry the gun is so dirty, but hopefully you can see what the ejector looks like. Probably won't take you long to get this solved -- be patient, you've got a good gun;)

I think I finally got my SteelMaster running. Ended up with an Aftec extractor and a Brazos offset mount. I also tuned the ejector pretty much per Rocketcity 1911(THANKS). I could not get through 50 rds with out a stovepipe from the brass hitting the scope. I have fired 375 rds through since these ajustments and not one piece of brass has hit the scope (I put some masking tape it to check) so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I won't call it fixed till at least a thousand rds with no gun related malfunctions.

Thanks everyone for the help,

SR

I think I finally got my SteelMaster running. Ended up with an Aftec extractor and a Brazos offset mount. I also tuned the ejector pretty much per Rocketcity 1911(THANKS). I could not get through 50 rds with out a stovepipe from the brass hitting the scope. I have fired 375 rds through since these ajustments and not one piece of brass has hit the scope (I put some masking tape it to check) so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I won't call it fixed till at least a thousand rds with no gun related malfunctions.

Thanks everyone for the help,

SR

Glad things seem to be working. Now enjoy;)

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue with my Dawson Steelmaster, but it was with 1 bigstick that I bought new. A second big stick worked fine as did my 5 other mags. The empties would hit the mount with just the one mag. I didn't use that mag again until I decided to go to a 90 degree mount. I did not go to the mount because of this problem, I did it to get the dot closer to the bore. Haven't had a stove pipe since. I have all the stock parts in my gun, just the way it came from Dawson 3 years ago. I shoot about 2500 rounds a year through this pistol.

Doug

My SteelMaster was driving me nuts. One match it would be okay and the next it would jam like mad. The original mount for the C-More sat right on top of the ejection port and often bounced empty cases back into the gun, jamming things up. I was told, “tune the ejector” or “change the recoil spring” or “install an AFTEC extractor ($75)” or “dance around the gun shaking Sioux ceremonial rattles”. I sorta thought a $2800 gun from Dawson Precision ought to work pretty well without the customer doing a bunch of complex or expensive mods.

I was naïve.

After removing the mount, I loaded three 20 rounds mags with a mix of three different 9mm loads using mixed brass and different bullet weights and ran them through the gun as fast as I could yank the trigger. Perfect functioning. Not a bobble.

I ordered a Quinn III mount and went to the range to sight in. The gun now works 100%. As a bonus, the scope sits lower on the slide and doesn't pick up nearly as much junk coming out of the comp. The lens stays clean much longer than it used to.

I'm not happy that I had to spend even more money to get the gun working. STI/Dawson shouldn't be sending out guns that cause this much trouble for their customers.

I agree for that kind of money one would expect it to work. I tried the Quinn III but it caused the scope to hit the slide. I went with the Brazos offset vertical mount which I like a lot. I have shot about 700 rds and so far it has ran great.

Thanks,

SR

• 1 month later...

I started having more jams with mine and boy is it frustrating. I finally broke down and put an aftec in but still wasn't 100% . I removed the front spring and did improve but I had to tune the ejector as well. My brass is way more consistent now but that's only about 500 rounds . We will see