Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody have an STI Steel Master that doesn't stovepipe ?

sandrooney

I am having fits with stovepiping on my STI SM. The brass is hitting the scope. I sent it back and they replaced the extractor and the installed an extented ejector and it is still stovepiping. I installed an Aftec and tuned the ejector per Brazos and I still had it stovepipe twice in 2 hundred rds, once in a thousand is to much if you ask me. I have ordered a Quinn iii mount but really like it the way it is.

I am shooting WWB and have put about 1500 rds through it.

Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks,

SR

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not having fits with stovepiping in your STI. You are having fits because of your scope mount...nothing to do with the gun.

Get a different mount.

I disagree, the gun should run 100% with a standard mount. Putting on a 90 degree mount will stop the symptoms but not fix the problem

What is the case hitting i.e. scope or scope mount? If it's hitting the mount remove some material where the mount resides over the slide opening when the slide is locked back. Remove as much as you can without adversely affecting the mount. Changing recoil springs is not the remedy. If the case is hitting the scope then move the scope.

Try having the contact point about 1/4 the way down the ejector not 1/3. Bob recommends 1/3 as a general statement but even says it varies depending on the gun. The lower the ejector hits the case the more it will lift the ejection pattern up. So try going higher with the contact point. If after you raise the contact point it starts to hang up out of the side of the ejection port. Meet somewhere in the middle. This can be a very time consuming process with lots of colorful language.

The reason the gun stove pipes is ejection and extraction is not tuned.. The empty case is being ejected UP instead out at a 45 degree angle. The AFTEC and extended ejector helps as you found out.

A Brazo offset will help the issue even more if you are dead set on an upright mount.

Look at the bottom of the scope mount and you should see little dings. You can file that area down. Somethimes only takes several thousands to clear the ejecting case..

In addition, lose the recoilmaster. Get a fitted recoil rod with a 9lb spring. You can try 10 and 8LB also. Sometimes it just a matter of the overall timing of the slide movement.

A sidemount will definitely end the problem.

Also, you can not just add an AFTEC, the firing pin stop must be modified correctly.

Edited by lcs

I went through this when I got my Steelmaster over 2 years ago. Two things I did that fixed it:

1. I shortened the ejector and put a slight downward angle on it (this makes the spent case stay down vs going up)

2. Put more tension on the extractor (are your spent cases just falling beside the gun or flinging out several feet? You want more fling.)

I'll try to post a picture of my ejector later tonight so you can see what the angle looks like. I think putting more tension on the extractor was very significant for fixing this problem. I don't have an AFTEC, just the standard 2011 STI extractor. For a standard extractor, just pull it out about halfway and apply some pressure to the outside edge (basically, bend it a little), then re-install, test fire and see where the spent cases are landing.

I recently switch a gun over to 9mm, I have a similar issue that it runs 90-99%. It ejects at 45*, has good aftec tension, but the breechface is worn. Probably has 50K on the slide and needed a comp extractor to run straight super before.

I shot the gun without any scope mount and every once in a while a case would eject straight up. The extractor was completely losing control of it. (didn't matter the what headstamp) I don't think any amount of tuning is going to get it to run 100%, so I put the old super barrel back in.

You're not having fits with stovepiping in your STI. You are having fits because of your scope mount...nothing to do with the gun.

Get a different mount.

I disagree, the gun should run 100% with a standard mount. Putting on a 90 degree mount will stop the symptoms but not fix the problem

+1

A friend of mine did have exactly the same problems as you with his Steelmaster. He had a gunsmith install an AFTEC and a QUINN mount. Problem solved !

Prior to this it was the most expensive "jammatic" I have ever seen, it was a paperwieght. It cost 2500 Euros over here and you shouldn't have to do that for that amount of money.

Take the mount off and fire the gun to see exactly how its ejecting. If you tune the ejector to much the cases can hit the bottom of the ejection port and shoot them up into the scope mount. I always check ejection with out a mount so I can see exactly whats going on.

Always detest the sideways mounts as "fix" for 9mm stovepipes. Thousands of nines run fine with standard upright S_I mounts. A good smith familiar with open nines can tune it correctly.

This isn't a mount problem. Don't solve it with a mount fix. Especially if you like the upright.