Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

world war Z

GmanCdp

I'm waiting for a movie with weregerbils...it's always wolves. It would require a mainly little people cast, as I'm not sure a full size person would work.....or weredolphins.

Or zombie bunnies...just bunnies. A plague that only effects bunnies.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World War Z was written as an oral history, much like Studs Terkel's "The Good War (which is an excellent read, if you get the chance)." To have done it right would have required an undertaking by a company to do it in the same fashion as they did "Band of Brothers." Break it into a miniseries and tell one character's story (or maybe a couple of the shorter ones) in each episode. Bookend those episodes with something to set the whole thing up (like scenes where Brooks' narrator is schlepping the manuscript around the UN and can't get traction, so he wrote the oral history) and provide an overall retrospective--the chapter where he's talking with the housewife and where he and Todd Wainio part company.

One of the episodes could be about the mental anguish (the little girl in the church--have her start telling the story and fade to a few memory sequences) or the military and foreign perspectives (like the Russian and German tankers or the Brit who was with the Queen) or the technology (this would be a good place to bring in the Director of DeStRes and the space station guy). Pick four or five characters to follow and dramatize their stories over an hour. BAM! Now you have 10 episodes. You could even get the voice actors from the audiobook (Mark Hamill, Alan Alda, John Tuturo) to play the roles.

I agree that this is not really World War Z at all. An action movie with fast zombies bares no resemblance to the book. This property is the first time Hollywood's propensity for reboots actually gives me hope instead of making me queasy. Maybe in 8 or 10 years during the next zombie craze we can get a decent adaption.

Well finally...........I did see this last night. Up front, I did not read the book, so this is a pure unbiased critique.

WOW.............I really liked it. Theatre was packed, kids now a days love their Zombie movies. The movie did follow one family, mainly the father (Brad Pitt) who worked for the UN and gets called back to track the origination of the virus down.

I will buy the BluRay, possibly see it again, last night was my free punch on my movie card, yippee!

I didn't read the book and I understand it was really different, well don't sit this out in protest. It really is pretty good and maybe Hollywood should have called the movie something different, who knows?

GO.

Edited by Chris iliff

I found I enjoy both movies and books more if I don't compare them to each other, regardless of their "name."

be

While I generally tend to agree with you, there is something about this particular movie (and a few others like it) that just tick me off and so prejudice my judgement that it makes it impossible to be objective. The fact is that there was actually a bidding war for the rights to this book and an initial script that would have made a very good movie. But instead, the whole thing was bastardized.

Imagine you go to an auction to purchase a one of a kind vintage car that needs some work. You are outbid and then you find out that the new owner junked everything except for a hood ornament and name plate? And when you see the finished car, it's just a hodgepodge of bits and pieces of other cars welded together with the vintage nameplate and hood ornament slapped on. Would you feel like walking over and telling the owner what a wonderful job he had done?

I found I enjoy both movies and books more if I don't compare them to each other, regardless of their "name."

be

I try to do this, but often find I can't, unless I see the movie before I read the book.

The problem is that reading takes more effort than watching a movie, so I feel like I'm more invested in the book. If that's coupled with a really well-written story and an exceptionally bad movie (like "Starship Troopers"), then I feel like I got robbed.

In a lot of ways, Max Brooks is the person to thank/blame for the recent resurgence of zombie-themed stuff in our culture. While I think Americans have always had a fascination with it, Brooks' oral history was really the work that brought it to light for most people, because the book cut across so many groups and just about everyone could read the book and see themselves going thru what the people in the book did. Because of this, it was really important for Pitt and crew not to screw up this movie.

And I'm afraid they did just that.

I enjoyed the movie. I gave it an 8 out of 10.

I really liked that the "Action" stuff that happened in the movie was fairly realistic. I hate it when there are super unrealistic fighting or shooting scenes in movies that a normal person could never do.

The book really is good. I have told several of my officers to read it and got funny looks. The description of the "what would you do" decision faced by different nations when faced with the Zombie apocalypse is very interesting. As a former Mech Infantry BN CDR, the zombie horde versus US Army scene in the book is chilling.

Saw the movie over the weekend with my 2 bros and our spouses and we all loved it. None of us have read the book yet so no bias towards the movie going in. As some of you all have mentioned on its realistic scenario which can happen makes it more exciting to watch. Bros and I wanted to see Zombies and the spouses wanted to see Brad Pitt so it's a winwin situation. :D

I probably go buy the book now to see whats all the hype about.

I'm not a big Brad Pitt fan. I'm also not a big fan of zombie movies. I don't hate them, just not a fan.

That being said, I really liked WW Z. The flow was good, the story had no holes, the support characters were believable.

And I liked the ending. Solid.

I thought the movie was ok. I just think it could have been so much more. Way too many things that just didn't make any sense at all. Too many contradictions and inconsistencies. Even for a zombie movie.