Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Allergies!

rhino

August in Indiana is a nightmare for people with seasonal/outdoor allergies.

I just spent three days outside in a big field (a shooting range!) and the pollen count has been through the roof. I'm not in very good shape!

I don't know which is worse:

the sinus pain

the globby congestive snot

the streams of water snot that just pour from my nose at random intervals

meds that either don't work or put me to sleep

sneezing

itchy eyes

etc.

I'll bet the pollen count in Hell is really high, all the time.

Ditto that. I'm badly allergic to every grass in North America in addition to the usual stuff. The only month I get relief is January. Allergy medicine that does not completely control symptoms is a way of life for me.

Well, I've been nursing this all-encompassing sinus headache for over a week, hacking dry cough, burning eyes, aching upper teeth. Such fun. At first I thought it might be a 'bug', but I forgot what time of YEAR it was. Oh, yes... it's THAT time of year. <_<

Oh, and yeh: Usually even small doses of the OTC medication helps in spring--oh but not in the fall. Doesn't even touch it. Oh joy. :wacko:

Get some of the (prescription) stuff you spray in your nose... awesome if you've got bad allergies (like I did when I was a kid... couldn't walk by department stores in the mall because of the perfume making me sneeze). Now it's just Sudafed Sinus and Allergy when nose gets itchy and a decongestant most of the time.

This thread is actually kinda funny, with everyone commiserating and whining over how crappy snot is. :D

I used to have terrible times with allergies. They eventually quit bothering me so much a few years back. I found that the only thing to give me relief from the seasonal allergies was a shot of cortizone. The doctor wouldn't give me but one shot a year.. (he said it was like going after an ant with an anvil), but it was amazing relief. I believe the name of the injection was "hydrocortizone"

Feeling your pain and hoping it gets better,

dj

Wait until you get allergies so bad that your eyes get so swollen it blurs your vision. That makes iron sights REALLY fun. I find it usually shifts my groups about 4" left at 25 yards.

I was shooting to the left consistently all weekend and I wish I could blame it on my eyes ... but the instructor and his assistant could both see I was pulling the gun to the left with pinky and ring finger, especially strong hand only.

But when I tell the stories to the youngsters in years to come, I'll blame it on my allergy-induced eye problems! ;)

I feel your pain brother....I have taken every prescription allergy med known to man and still every year they end up giving me a steroid shot. I still take a Benadryl every night before I go to bed, usually until late Sept. Not very good for ya but sure works good. The sucky part is I am 40 years old and only have had allergies the last 4 years.

I called for a new prescription today. They gave me a spray called Nasonex. I think it's a generic of Flonase, or something similar.

It felt pretty good a couple of minutes after I used it, but now (five hours later) it's about the same as it was.

Someone else told me that higher doses of Allegra (180mg per day) plus the Flonase was a good combination for him.

Allegra made me dizzy and affected my vision like, well, almost psychedelic--but in a bad way, mind you. Allerest (do they even sell it any more...?) raised my pulse rate so much that I could hardly breathe--and got dizzy besides. Flonase is effective with no particular side effects... other than bloodying a big hole in your wallet. Claritin seems to work, too... no side effects. Nowadays I just take generic pseudo-ephedrine. Cheap, effective.

Okay ... I've increased my dosage of Loratadine (generic Claritin) to 30mg, twice per day. The label says 10mg, once per day. So I'm up to 60mg per day now.

Am I going to die suddenly in a mass of pacherdermic convulsions, or am I probably going to be okay?

hmmm ... why is the room spinning? And when did those green monkeys start climbing through the windows ...

ok, going to sound like a redundant "new age" kind of guy, but Omega III's and B Vitamin complex may be something to try. Omega III's are particularly good for reducing inflammation/antihistamine responses. I'm going "cult-like!" :)

more is not better, unless your doc signed off, don't septuple the recommended dose like that. Doing a little reading on the pharmecokinetics of it, there is no difference in absorbtion with dosing between 10mg and 40mg. That would suggest that going over 40mg is either bad, or a waste of money. Seing as how there is a recommendation that the stuff be dosed at 10mg every other day for folks with renal impariment, I'd suggest it might be a bit hard on the kidneys. Especially if you ahve a history of adult onset diabetes in the family (especially in old age), abusing your kidneys like that is something you may very well pay for dearly later.

That being said, I have fall allergies. Mostly molds. I used to be that bad, and they dosed me with all sorts of stuff. Pretty mucch everything you can shoot up your nose or swallow, including cortico-steroids. I got sick of it, I stopped. All of a sudden my allergies were a lot less severe. THen the real kicker came when I started getting in shape. Regular exercise did wonders to cut back the allergies, and lessen the severity of sinus inflamtion when I still do have it. These days I pretty much take some actifed equivalent to manage symptoms when my allergies act up, and make sure I exercise a little bit more. I've only had the running like a faucet kind of attack once in the last 5-6 years or so during my normal allergy season.

I only had to take one dose (30mg) yesterday and it worked a lot better than two 20mg doses.

Thanks for the warnings, and you're probably right. I increased the dose over time hoping it would help and to account for significantly huger body mass than the typical person for whom the directions were intended.

I'll remember to drink lots of agua, as usual!