Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Mags 9MM

shooter995

What is the best combo/options for 2011 Mags in 9MM?? I will take all info on where to buy, parts to build your own....ect. I will even take advice for tuning your own mags!!! I hear this crazy talk of reliable 30 round 9MM 170's....??

Info please guys!

Thanks in advance

The best 9mm mags are built from SV tubes which make spacers unnecessary. Unfortunately old style SV tubes are hard to come by, and the new style need to have the mag catch slot cut to work with STI frames. Still worth it in my opinion. Mag Blue Printing will do this mod for you if you don't want to do it yourself.

Getting 30 rounds of 9mm in a big stick is nearly impossible due to the taper of the 9mm case. A loadable 29 is very much possible though.

I have STI tubes, Dawson +1+ (S.N.L.) basepads, plastic spacers, and Grams springs & followers.

I get 23 in my 140 mags, and 29 in my 170. I don't know anyone who has gotten 30 rnds in a 170 mag with 9mm. I hear that it's possible with the right tuning un 38SC, but not 9mm.

I got the tubes from from Thunder Mountain Custom. They polish the tubes and mags for you, but sell them for the same cost as standard STI mags.

Hello: I have 4 old style SVI mags that hold 30 rounds and fit the gauge just fine. For STI 170mm mags use Grams follower and spring or Dawson follower and ISMI spring. I use the Hardy steel spacer from Shooters Connection. I also use a Grams 4mm base pad and they will hold 29 rounds. Thanks, Eric

I don't know anyone who has gotten 30 rnds in a 170 mag with 9mm.

You do now...ME. I get 30 9mm rds into my tuned new style SVI 170s. However, it is NOT 30 rds reloadable and it is NOT reliable going with 1 in the chamber. 29 reloadable is easy.

I shoot with 2 other guys who CAN get 30 reloadable in their SVI 170s.

You do now...ME. I get 30 9mm rds into my tuned new style SVI 170s. However, it is NOT 30 rds reloadable and it is NOT reliable going with 1 in the chamber. 29 reloadable is easy.

Roll Sized Brass :)

Check with Adrian at Magblueprinting here in the dealer forum. I have two 170's from him that hold 30 with ease. He does a great job and fast turn around. I also have one from Brandon @ SVI that is Titanium Nitrite and it holds 30. Spend the extra on mags! You be happy in the long run.

Shooters Connection sells Superior tuned mags that come with all the bells and whistles for not much more than the parts cost. They have Gram's springs and followers and Dawson Base Pads and a window so you can see how many rounds you have. They advertise the 140s holding 23 and the 170s holding 29. I bought three 140s and one 170 to go along with my old style SVs. They run 100% and after some use will hold 24 and 30 non reloadable. Take a look at them before you buy. You can't go wrong dealing with Shooters Connection.

The Superior mags have the steel spacers in them also. My old style SV tubes will hold 30 rounds reloadable but you don't really need that. Just get a 170 that will hold 29 or 30 + 1 in the barrel that will run 100%.

Edited by Jaxshooter

Roll Sized Brass :)

I just use range brass and run it thru my 650. I don't know about the other guys.

The best 9mm mags are built from SV tubes which make spacers unnecessary. Unfortunately old style SV tubes are hard to come by, and the new style need to have the mag catch slot cut to work with STI frames. Still worth it in my opinion. Mag Blue Printing will do this mod for you if you don't want to do it yourself.

Getting 30 rounds of 9mm in a big stick is nearly impossible due to the taper of the 9mm case. A loadable 29 is very much possible though.

Its better to modify the frame according to Grams and I found it easy. I did not mess with the hole on my new style SVI tube.

Pat

Roll Sized Brass smile.gif

Doesn't make any difference for me. I only get 29 reloadable.

No, actually, I still don't know anyone. I've never met you in person, so it's still all just talk. I'm from Missouri, so you have to "show me." :)

I don't know? Built 170mm myself & get 29+1 reloadable, used Thunder Mountain STI polished tube, Grams guts, Joe Hardy SS spacer, Dawson SNL basepad. Bought a Superior 170mm from Shooters Connection 29+1 reloadable. Both are reliable and run like a swiss watch. The one I built cost about $25 less, maybe I just got lucky with the one I built, mag is not tuned. I prefer the STI tube over the Superior tube.

OK guys I went with factory STI tubes, Grams Springs & Followers, Taran Tactical Base Pads (same as Bolen) 4mm on the 170's & 7mm on the 140's. There is a local guy here in Ohio that is going to teach me how to tune my own mags!!! I'm just going to throw out there that it's pretty cool of him to do this! :goof: Once they are tuned I will post pictures of the end result & round count.

Thanks for all the help.

I have 12 9mm mags, 5 are SV tubes and the rest are STI. None have spacers and I have just about every follower/spring/basepad combo. All are reliable in the three 2011 style guns I own with long or factory length ammo.

Taran Tactical just went through 5 of my SV tubes (springs, followers & basepads) and got a easily reloadble 29+1 in a 170 and of the four 140's three get an easy 23+1 and other gets 24+1.

I'd suggest getting mags without spacers to start and if they work you're set, less parts to deal with. If they don't then go the spacers route.

The Superior tubes are STI tubes with a window cut in the side.

Don't like the finish on the Superior tube & not crazy about the window either, just more chance for stuff to get into the mag when it is dropped. Also like the extra weight of the non-windowed STI tube. Both the Superior & STI 170mm mags hold 29+1 and perform flawlessly for me. I guess it's just a matter of preference