Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why no Colt raceguns?

Sheperd80

Ive been into uspsa/idpa for a bit now and just wondering why there are so few colt guns used for limited and open class? Some people regard them so highly but the action pistol community seems to be more into sti/svi and a host of other custom 1911/2011 builders. Any paricular reason why colt doesnt have a following in these sports?

Colt never made a high-capacity frame but they were rather active in the IPSC game in the 90's. Taurus doesn't make a hi-cap 1911 style frame but they've entered the fray.

Doug Koenig and Jerry Barnhart did quite well with rebadged 1911/2011's.

Colt also doesnt do much for the sport. I know I try to spend my money with companies that sponser matches.

X2

For one ... Colt's sole existence is for military and LEO contracts. They have strayed away from the civilian market, and emphasize on government contracts.

Also, Colt does absolutely nothing for the civilian shooting industry. As a matter of fact, a few of their higher level management have laughed at the prospect of a civilian gun ban stating, and I quote, " It won't affect us as a company. Ninety-nine percent of our business is in the domestic and foreign military and NATO Law Enforcement Departments. "

I haven't owned a Colt in years, and refuse to support them.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by roostershooter

Yeah, Colt....they don't do anything......except for that whole Clint Upchurch sponsor, and the 3gun ready rifles. Yeah no hi cap 1911/2011, but they have single stacks that are good for that division

And they helped and donated to matches, not a ton but they are doing more.

Colts are sloppy and rough vs S_I's. My best Colt, a Gold Cup national match feels like a rusted screen door compared to an SV.

They are also over priced for what you get and cost more than a comparable STI would have once you have a gunsmith change all the parts out.

Edited by jmorris

Sounds a little like H&K? I'd never really thought about owning a Colt or even an H&K but didn't really know why I had no interest. This kind of sums it all up. They don't really care for us, why would we care for them? There's plenty of other great companies to throw money at.

I agree. Not to mention the fact that H&K is putting RFID chips in all of their production pistols. Not that I'm a 'tin foil hatter', but the whole concept seems kind of nefarious if you ask me.

Do a google on H&K RFID chip. You will find all sorts of explanations of why they are there. Most of which are "to track maintenance schedules". :rolleyes:

Colts are sloppy and rough vs S_I's. My best Colt, a Gold Cup national match feels like a rusted screen door compared to an SV.

I saw this first hand when at a 1911 class this summer. I was building off a Springer and the Colt was nowhere near the fit out of the box. I did a little to the frame while the frame of the Colt was worked and the slide was tightened too. My second Springer was tighter than the one I built out of the box.

Yeah, Colt....they don't do anything......except for that whole Clint Upchurch sponsor, and the 3gun ready rifles. Yeah no hi cap 1911/2011, but they have single stacks that are good for that division

And they helped and donated to matches, not a ton but they are doing more.

I was waiting to see if someone would bring up Clint.

Yup, they definitely do absolutely nothing for the sport and they don't care. Wow... pay no attention to http://coltcompetitionrifle.com/

Oh, and obviously all the guns they make are crap. Which is why they have several models on Hilton Yam's list of acceptable 1911 duty pistols.

So they don't think there's much profit in designing another 1911-style double stack frame. Big deal. S_I seems to have the market pretty well cornered.

colt canada wont even sell to civilians, not a single thing. we have to import everything from the states, our military guys cant even buy a copy of their duty rifle in semi-auto to practice with.

tell me again how they care about civilians?

colt canada wont even sell to civilians, not a single thing. we have to import everything from the states, our military guys cant even buy a copy of their duty rifle in semi-auto to practice with.

Have you considered the possibility that there's a massive overabundance of bureaucratic hoops to jump through to sell guns in Canada?

It's pretty bad in California even, and we have the 2nd Amendment... I can't imagine how bad it would be in a country that still recognizes the Queen :roflol:

I probably wouldn't bother if I was in charge of Colt, either.

For not doing anything for the sport it sure was generous of colt to donate their new 3 gun rifle for a match I shot a couple months ago. This wasn't some big match but a local once a year 3 gun shoot. When contacted about a sponsorship for the match they just generously offered up the rifle.

Have you considered the possibility that there's a massive overabundance of bureaucratic hoops to jump through to sell guns in Canada?

It's pretty bad in California even, and we have the 2nd Amendment... I can't imagine how bad it would be in a country that still recognizes the Queen :roflol:

I probably wouldn't bother if I was in charge of Colt, either.

Nope, because we have had 3 new canadian gun manufacturers pop up this year, and they are all much smaller than colt. Clearly its not that hard.

I've shot a lot of tournament stages sponsored by Colt & seen many more on TV. They were more than kind to Jerry Barnhart and Doug Koenig over the years and my $.02 are doing what they can to support the shooting sports, considering that no gun-maker is really raking in profits compared to some other industries. The 3GN episode with Clint is probably my favorite from last year.

Colt's PRIMARY focus is on the military and I am fine with that. I don't have a problem with not having something because the men and women serving our country need it. I would bet Colt has every machine running to capacity and is selling every gun they make before it's made. Not the retail sale, but the sale from Colt. Adding capacity is not a simple issue. I have heard they are building a plant in Florida that will do that.

I don't think any other gun company is subject to more BS bashing than Colt. They have had issues, any large company will have them at some time. For the past few years, they seem to be improving.

I like Colt, but yeah they don't make a gun for our market as far as a hicap framed gun. We are a member base of what 20k, we are not a big group we should be very thankful for the fact that we get the exposure we do and have received the support we have. Yes we spend alot of money, but in comparision to what a gun company focus is, leo, military and civilian carry market, we are small potatos

the fact that Colt came out with a dedicated rifle for 3gun, and has supported matches on a small scale is huge, we should be thanking them and not talking crap

Originally when the Para and Caspian Hicap frames came out guys would have them built up with Colt slides and call them "Colt Race Guns"! Colt was the big thing back then. They did the same thing with SA slides. No one seemed to want to contradict them and TWTWIW for a while until full hicap factory guns came out. Also the Colt Series 70 was the way to go with a SS build until SA came out and hired TGO to shoot for them. Other people started using the SA because it seemed to be high quality at an affordable price. Then Colt Series 70's dried up and the 80 came out and it wasn't as desireable as the 70 and Colt started having trouble financially and etc. and dropped out of the civilian market and never came back and tried to doing anything about it....probably never will because they will probably never have a hicap worth having and their SS are expensive and the market is to full of qualith SS guns.

FWIW

Richard

Oh, and obviously all the guns they make are crap. Which is why they have several models on Hilton Yam's list of acceptable 1911 duty pistols.

I'm not sure that has much to do with "race guns"

Other things on H Yam's list are,

•Full sized Government Model 1911 format with 5" barrel length and steel frame for increased reliability and durability.

•Chambered in .45 ACP, as that is the caliber in which the gun was designed and functions best. The greatest number of magazine options are available in .45 ACP.

•Standard Browning barrel without integral feed ramp. Ramped barrels typically have very steep feed ramps that don't feed well. Wide mouthed hollowpoints can also catch at the bottom of the integral ramp, creating further feeding issues.

•Standard milspec short recoil spring guide rod and plug.

•Recoil spring rating of 17-18.5 lbs to improve durability with full power duty loads.

•Availability of ambidextrous safety for left handed users.

•Type of firing pin safety system, if any. See below for further.

•Light rail or standard dust cover.

•Type of finish.