Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Optics

Got Juice?

Don't even get me started...... LOL

I have tried every optic out there other than a Tasco. I will preface this by saying other than Saul and Jessie, pretty much every top shooter runs a Cmore. In any event here is my .02

C-more

The obvious favorite of many. Great window size (although some will argue that is not all that important), ability to change dot sizes by switching modules. Down side are it eats fairly expensive batteries at an amazing rate and some units have an annoying tendency to have the dot move of its own volition. I have tried all the tricks and have one Cmore that's dot is locked solid and two that like to move no matter how much locktite or other tricks I use. I am also not impressed with the quality of the glass. You will have some parallax with this optic.

C-more RTS

Nice, light, small package. Easy battery replacemnt I had my dot go dim and there are several reports of various reliability issues. One guy I shoot with had the glass come out of his twice. This was on a slide mount which I am not really a fan of, but that is a different discussion. Window size is smaller than the "regular" Cmore.

Deltapoint

Love, love, love the glass. Best by far. Runs a normal battery. Some like the 3.5 dot (what Jessie runs) some like the triangle. I preferred the dot. Downsides are slightly difficult to adjust zero if using the crappy wrench that comes with it. If you go this route go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a quality wrench. I preferred the 3.5 dot but in the end I struggled with the window size.

Aimpoint

Absolutely the best appearing dot. Once you set zero it isn't moving. Far more rugged than the others. You can turn the unit on and leave it on for about a year before it needs a battery. Great glass. No parallax. It is a heavy beast compared to the others. I am not convinced that is necessarily a bad thing, at least for me as a B class shooter. Unless you can find a discontinued model you are limited to a 4 MOA dot. I will say it is the brightest dot of these and at full power is close in size to a 6 MOA Cmore in the sun. It is completely unaffected by glare. Some folks feel that the body distracts them more than a Cmore. The other downside is you will be heckled as a dinosaur if you run one.

Currently I run the Aimpoint. The main driver for me is the absolute, dead nuts reliability of it. From the performance side, if it doesn't hold Saul back, and didn't hold Eric back until he got sponsored by Cmore I think it might be good enough for me. Besides I am never going to win the F 350 off the prize table no matter what I run and I have lost pacience with optics that are finicky or unreliable.

Yes, I have some experience with the Aimpoints (original Comp) and find them to be less prone to 'dot searching' , although practicing with a Cmore might prove to be the answer to finding that little dot. I really dislike seeing seasoned shooters dot searching in some lighting conditions. Something that Aimpoints do not suffer with (to the same degree)

I hate making these decisions. Each optic has it's own quirks, but deciding which devil suits you best seems to be a case of finding the quirks that irritate the least.

I run a regular Cmore slide ride on my open gun using a Quinn II mount. I have not had any problems with the zero changing. I also have an aluminum body slide ride on a Ruger MKII. If my plastic Cmore ever goes bad, the aluminum model will take its place.

I have shot open guns with the RTS frame mounted. It is a great sight - small, cheap battery, much cleaner looking than the slide ride. I prefer the larger window on the slide ride. Also, the guy with the RTS has sent it back 2 or 3 times for cracked glass and other problems.

Just my 2 cents. Depends if you want to run a tube or not. I like a big objective lens & bigger dot so I run an Aimpoint CompC Sm 7MOA, 9.5 oz., and TascoCMP PDP5 (4,8,12,16 MOA) 42mm objective lens 8 oz. They are on the heavy side but I don't mine the extra weight for the larger field of view and it's easier to find the dot. If you don't want to run a tube and want a larger dot than 4-5 MOA the C-More is your choice. Personally I used the C-More and don't like it.

Only problem the Aimpoint CompC Sm 7MOA & TascoCMP PDP5 are no longer made and very difficult to find, and repair is next to non-existant.

I have not used one but felt that the tube sights would block your periferral vision. Is this the case as compared to a C-more? They certainly would not be prone to dot washout when shooting into bright sunlight like the C-More is.

Can't say I would recommend the C-More RTS

Another C-MORE RTS Failure.. I'm on my second RTS first one glass cracked only 400 rounds. Second RTS has failed 3 times today the slide switch no longer works in the Auto mode exact same failure I sent it in 800 rounds ago. This is outrageous would you recommend this product if you had this many problems. And this has all happened since March.

Some folks talk about that but then run a sideways Cmore which blocks more. With a target focus it is a complete non-issue for me.

Can't say I would recommend the C-More RTS

Another C-MORE RTS Failure.. I'm on my second RTS first one glass cracked only 400 rounds. Second RTS has failed 3 times today the slide switch no longer works in the Auto mode exact same failure I sent it in 800 rounds ago. This is outrageous would you recommend this product if you had this many problems. And this has all happened since March.

Some folks talk about that but then run a sideways Cmore which blocks more. With a target focus it is a complete non-issue for me.

Actually I was talking about Aimpoints. (full sized). ;) I don't recommend the RTS.

• 2 weeks later...

I just switched to a Cmore after my Aimpoint Comp finally gave it up. I've used the Aimpoint since the late 80's and would love to be using one now. I just can't come to peace with the 4 min dot. I need something a little bigger. The Aimpoint is so rugged and reliable. You sight it in and forget it. Change the battery once in a while and race on. The Cmore does seem to benefit from a liberal dose of blue Loctite. I still don't trust that its going to hit where it was sighted last. I'm sure that I will learn to love it for its light weight and cleaner sight picture (less frame to look around). After all, it has a pretty solid winning track record now.

I'll still go with an Aimpoint...unfortunate they don't make the 7MOA anymore. I own a Aimpoint CompC Sm 7MOA and an Aimpoint Comp 7MOA (blue body) used both for years and still use them and never had a problem. Just change the battery out every year and shoot. Both were initally sighted in many years ago & they are still right where they we adjusted. IMHO an Aimpoint will outlast a C-More hands down and are not prone to the usual C-More malodies.

I decided to once again experiment with the Deltapoint....tried it a few years back and went back to the Quinn II/ C-more combo. The Deltapoint is such a clean setup on the Arredondo mount I figured after Nationals I would give it another chance....I will put more effort learning it this time around :blush: After a inital trip back to Leupold (auto dim did not work) the Deltapoint has lived its life on my Open Shotgun where it has excelled and has been totally reliable. It really is a nice sight.