Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Club match: can i request a different RO

ProGunGuy

I have never seen a different RO requested at a local match. I have seen RO's recuse themselves at larger matches. Because so many friends squad together at the larger matches I have seen RO's refuse to run the timer for the entire squad because 1/2 to 3/4 of the shooters are people they shoot with at the home club. They run the board instead.

I have also seen RO's take the squad just because they are from his home club and they know how they think and shoot.

Quite a few people at whine and complain about RO's might do well to step up and take the course and become one.

I have never personally witnessed a competitor requesting a change in officiating. I am sure it happens though.

The ONLY cogent argument to request an RO change is one of Competence.

Check your personal feelings at the door when you step up to shoot. RO's are REQUIRED to.

There isn't a requirement for RO's to be certified at a Level I match.

I guess you missed my earlier post where this dude would always short beep me.

I must have missed it. was it shorter than 1 second? You can always ''pretend' not to hear the beep ;) The RO won't have much choice but to restart you. (if he is flagrant about it, that might teach him a lesson, if not, then yes, I can see a point to making a case of requesting another RO

I'm not seeing where being "short beeped" is a simple request for a new RO. That's flat out horse crap. Volunteer or not if they can't be impartial then they have no business with a timer in their hand.

If it's just a matter of personal bias then jump squads with RM/MD approval and tell them why.

I've not personally been in this situation, now had shooter's I'd rather not RO that is a different story.

"Pick your battles".

Really?

A battle? You think that's a battle?

:rolleyes:

Shooters seemed to be awefully thin skinned lately.

If you think this guy isn't going to give you a fair shake, the simplest option is just avoid him entirely ... Go to a different squad.

I don't believe it to be shooter's only, but just people in general have far to great a sense of entitlement and are easily offended these days.

I must have missed it. was it shorter than 1 second? You can always ''pretend' not to hear the beep ;) The RO won't have much choice but to restart you. (if he is flagrant about it, that might teach him a lesson, if not, then yes, I can see a point to making a case of requesting another RO

A non-certified RO short beeped me at my last local match. He had done it a few months ago as well. I spoke with him about it after my run at the last match. I said the beep does NOT instantly follow the standby command. He said he'd remember that for next time. If he doesn't remember for next time, he won't RO me again.

I do not recall if he does it for everyone, but I don't think he does it on purpose to me.

BTW, it is RECOMMENDED 1 - 4 seconds after standby, not required. At least that is how I interpret the word "should" in 8.3.3. All I want is consistent application of the rules, not shorting some but not others. An instant beep after standby is shorting.

Edited by remoandiris

One of my best friends is an RO who runs me nearly every weekend. He ALWAYS short beeps me. But guess what? The fact that he always does it makes it easy to adjust. Just get ready at standby.

I have personal issues with lots of people but as a shooter and as an RO - that shit stops when it's go time.

Pay attention to how that RO runs other competitors and be ready for his delivery.

Now that being said, I did get flustered a few weeks ago when an RO told me after I took a loaded sight picture that, "If you ever go to a big match, they will DQ you for that." Then he proceeded to give every single range command except "beep" incorrectly. Now I'm not saying that I'm Jerry or something and that everybody should recognize me everywhere I go, but I'm standing there with my Rudy Project shirt on with a 4k race gun in my holster. I would thing that most normal people wouldn't assume that I had been to a match before. Not to mention that he was incorrect. That situation flustered me just before go time. A serial quick beeper wouldn't.

I requested a new RO at a local match one time because while he was running the timer for me during a stage he was so close to my 6 that when I took a half step back I stepped on him. And he also didn't know the range commands. Just went to the guy in charge and said "I don't want him to run me on any more stages. He doesn't know what he's doing." That was the end of it.

Now that being said, I did get flustered a few weeks ago when an RO told me after I took a loaded sight picture that, "If you ever go to a big match, they will DQ you for that." Then he proceeded to give every single range command except "beep" incorrectly. Now I'm not saying that I'm Jerry or something and that everybody should recognize me everywhere I go, but I'm standing there with my Rudy Project shirt on with a 4k race gun in my holster. I would thing that most normal people wouldn't assume that I had been to a match before. Not to mention that he was incorrect. That situation flustered me just before go time. A serial quick beeper wouldn't.

It took me a couple of years into this sport to figure out that it is perfectly valid to respond "No, I am not ready" when he RO gives the "Are you ready?" command. Before that I felt like I was holding up the show, but now not as much. When I run the timer and something happens that upsets the flow and cadence for getting a shooter ready (untaped target, prop not setup properly, etc.), I take time to tell them to stand easy and we'll start over with the range commands. It's my way of giving them the best possible conditions for their attempt. Maybe I'm feeling "entitled" when I say "No", but I feel that out of a matter of fairness where I try to help other competitors the best I can, I shouldn't be rushed through my stage preparations. If some distraction happens, like that unsolicited comment, I would take time to get back into the right frame of mind.

RO who runs me nearly every weekend. He ALWAYS short beeps me. But guess what? The fact that he always does it makes it easy to adjust. Just get ready at standby.

When an RO ALWAYS does it to you, that is one thing. When an RO does NOT ALWAYS do it, that is something else.

If someone is intentionally being a dee quad, even at a local match, he has no business holding a timer. PERIOD. EVER.

That said, much of the time at club matches the timer will get handed around to more experienced shooters on the squad, some of whom will "forget their lines" when called to recite spur-of-the-moment. Knowing this, I've learned to answer immediately, "yes" or "no" when asked if I'm ready so I'm not surprised soon thereafter. Some shooters may be too focused to offer a response, and I understand the rules don't require you to say anything at all.

YMMV of course, but it's what's worked for me with nervous or new RO's.

Mark

All for one and one for all. Do you RO for your squad? What would your reaction be when I ask to have you replaced? Level 1 matches are for practice; shooting, RO'ing, taping, setting steel and course design. If someone bothers you that much, do whatever you can to be on a different squad. Maybe explain to them what they need to do differently to make it fair and enjoyable for everyone, not just yourself. My shooters are my "family" and I am theirs and I understand sometimes family just can't get along, but you gotta try.

What would your reaction be when I ask to have you replaced?

I would say "No Problem" and hand the timer to someone else.

The RO should check his ego at the gate. If you are insulted or get your feelings hurt when the shooter asks for a different RO, you need to ask yourself why.

All for one and one for all. Do you RO for your squad? What would your reaction be when I ask to have you replaced?

I think (hope) I would say "yes sir, no problem", but as a relatively new shooter I'm trying be a better RO, so after the stage, or maybe after the match I would inquire as to the reason, and then I would think about it.

If someone is just inexperienced, or holds the timer in my field of view, or some technical thing, I would probably rather be constructive and explain the issue like a grownup, and hope that person takes the sport seriously enough to want to improve. I would hope others would do the same for me.

Now I'm not saying that I'm Jerry or something and that everybody should recognize me everywhere I go, but I'm standing there with my Rudy Project shirt on with a 4k race gun in my holster.

Neither of which mean much at a match these days. While I can see your point, sort of, I know a shooter who has all that stuff and has only been in the game a little over a year and is not all that well versed on the rules. When I RO a shooter it makes very little difference what he is wearing or shooting in how I treat them. You should be treated the same as the guy wearing jeans and a flannel shirt. The only shooters I look at differently are the guys I shoot with all the time. I pretty much know what they will or will not do during a COF.

But I certainly agree that a shoddy RO can play havoc with your game.

All for one and one for all. Do you RO for your squad? What would your reaction be when I ask to have you replaced? Level 1 matches are for practice; shooting, RO'ing, taping, setting steel and course design. If someone bothers you that much, do whatever you can to be on a different squad. Maybe explain to them what they need to do differently to make it fair and enjoyable for everyone, not just yourself. My shooters are my "family" and I am theirs and I understand sometimes family just can't get along, but you gotta try.

Thank to all that have put their 2 cents in. Its been very interesting to say the least. Even though I am not RO certified, I have ran plenty of people at local matches. Have ran RO's too. If someone told me that they did not want me to run them, and if another person can do so, I would just pass the timer along.

Thanks again to all that have chimed in.

Edited by ProGunGuy

I have short beeped others before. I usually apologize afterwards for my mistake.

I have been accused of using a rather loud voice when giving the commands. I noticed that I originally started ROing at Tuesday Night Steel at Rio Salado. There are a lot of open shooters in those matches. Many often double plug and I have been know to double plug. So in order for them to hear me I used a loud voice. This habit has carried over.

We are all human. We all make mistakes. Courtesy should be a fundamental aspect of all our communications.

I have seen the reasoning behind requesting a different RO or as a RO changing. It is no big deal.

This whole topic reminds me of the foolishness that goes on in the house on that Top Shot show. Just silliness. People are way too thin skinned.

This year shot a few Level II matches. At one match, my buddies and I drove in the day before to get checked in and look at the stages and just relax after a long drive before shooting the following morning. When we got to the range the ROs were just finishing up shooting the match. Mind you, we have never shot at this match (out of state) or club and knew nobody. So we go to the clubhouse and no one is in there. We go back outside and a woman approaches us. We introduce all around and she tells us the match director will be along shortly. We say thanks. Match director comes over after a bit, gets us sorted out.

We leave and head to the nearest bay to look at the stage. On the way over, the same woman approaches us, stops directly in my path.

Her: "I have a great deal for you."

Me: "what deal?"

Her: " I am selling a motorcycle named Black Bart."

Me: " I don't need a motorcycle. Thanks."

Now, my name is Bart and, as my avatar shows, I am Black. So it was a rather crude and presumptuous joke to be telling to a stranger. However, I did not get bent out of shape.

Next morning, we start shooting VERY FIRST STAGE this woman is my RO. I did not request a new RO. I shot the stage, and got on with the match. Ended up winning my division too.

Folks need to lighten up and just have fun.

Now, my name is Bart and, as my avatar shows, I am Black. So it was a rather crude and presumptuous joke to be telling to a stranger. However, I did not get bent out of shape.

Next morning, we start shooting VERY FIRST STAGE this woman is my RO. I did not request a new RO. I shot the stage, and got on with the match. Ended up winning my division too.

I totally agree with you about people being thin-skinned, but did you not realize she was hitting on you?

Congrats on shooting a good match there, btw.

Edited by motosapiens

I totally agree with you about people being thin-skinned, but did you not realize she was hitting on you?

Congrats on shooting a good match there, btw.

haha.Had not thought of that.

May follow up when I come back next year! :roflol:

Of course, it will likely be too late ... motorcycle will be sold already. hehe.

Edited by lawboy