Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Slide Cracked!?!

Ssanders224

So,

After some range time this week, I was cleaning my limited gun when I noticed what I THOUGHT was a new scratch on the slide. Upon further inspection, and much to my dissmay, it turned out to be a CRACK! It is fairly substantial, and the gun is unusable now.

The gun is a Custom 2011, and was built by a reputable builder. I'm the second owner, and since Ive owned it, it has been babied, never been dropped, and only had factory & barely major PF run through it.

I'm pretty bummed, as I guess I'm going to be without a gun for a while?.... and out the money it takes to get it fixed...

Sucks huh??

IMG_1799_zps5b836700.jpg

IMG_1795_zps89d6d5bc.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bummer, but at least you noticed it before it broke while shooting. I had a crack and I also thought it was a scratch. Of course, it decided to break during a match, and a big chunk of metal came off. Fortunately, I wasn’t injured. Next time I will look at lot closer at what I think may be a new scratch.

Slides crack on occasion…it’s just a fact of life. Cheap, middle of the road or expensive, it doesn’t matter. But, I would still send it back to the manufacturer to make sure there isn’t something else that needs to be fixed which may have caused the crack. And, maybe they will replace the part for free.

I watched Manny shoot a few matches with a gun with a cracked slide. It ain't the end of the world. I have seen lots of slides cut like that that haven't cracked. I would send it back to the original builder and have him replace it. I doubt if he is going to do it for free though.

I'm thinking those lightening cuts contribute to this issue but I'm not a gunsmith.

I don't think so, it looks like it started at the bottom corner by the guide rod. Sharp corner=stress riser, small crack started there and propagated up to the hole. A small radius might have prevented it.

I'm thinking those lightening cuts contribute to this issue but I'm not a gunsmith.
I don't think so, it looks like it started at the bottom corner by the guide rod. Sharp corner=stress riser, small crack started there and propagated up to the hole. A small radius might have prevented it.

I dont blame the cuts. There are many builers that use cuts VERY similar to these.

And as BillD stated, the crack started at the back edge of the sping tunnel, and continued up the side of the slide.

What recoil spring weight are you using?

12lb

I've got thousands on my gun. I would use a little heavier recoil spring. check with your builder!

I'd say 12lb is probably the most common weight for a 2011 limited gun in .40.

The original owner used and recommended that weight... the builder recommended that weight... and you will find that weight recommended by many people on this forum.

Edited by Ssanders224

Any manufactured part has variation, and as a result some units will be defective and fail sooner than we would like.

I had a G34 slide crack once, through the ejection port. The gun kept working, but shot about a foot to the left.

Sucks to end up on the wrong side of randomness.

I have run m 40s with a 12.5 lb spring with lightening cuts similar to yours and mine did not crack. I do not use shok buffs either. You probably won't get the slide replaced free since it has the lightening cuts but give it a try you never know. I would send it to the original smith for repair if it were mine you might get a little break on the price.

Edited by Jaxshooter

The reason I asked if it was shot with shok buffers is I thought the break in the slide might be a result of the spring going "solid" and thereby cracking the slide.

Probably a stress riser at the right angle where the spring tunnel was cut down to the slide.

Edited by Merlin Orr