Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.56 case length

reloader901

The short answer is yeah I recommend trimming every reload.

The long answer is it depends. Every barrel is different As the throat of your barrel erodes you will be able to take longer brass which is a bad thing.

If you are not set up to process .223 there are a lot of us out there that will do it for ~30$ per K.

There is a max length and then a trim to length.

1.76" is the max you want. 1.75" is the length you trim to so that as it grows that 0.001, it is still ok.

So the magic question is, how long are they ?

A *quick* check of 20 of them this morning 9/8/12. Most 1.764". A couple a little longer 1.767". A couple 1.687"

For plinking what's wrong with .005" over?

I can trim them, but want some compelling reason to do so......

*** Edit....

Just called Dillon. There is a compelling reason. If the case is too long it will extend into the rifling causing the case pressures to be too high.

So my next question was: Since I don't care about accuracy for plinking can I undercut them 10 or 15 thousandths so they maybe I can get a few uses out of them without having to trim them every time. They said yes.

Any reason I shouldn't under cut them? (remember... this is just for plinking).

Edited by reloader901

Typically I find that when I trim to 1.750 it will take a couple shootings before it gets to where I need to trim again. Then again I always use the same setup to load rifle so they always go past the trim die if they need it or not.

1.76" is the max you want. 1.75" is the length you trim to so that as it grows that 0.001, it is still ok.

A *quick* check of 20 of them this morning 9/8/12. Most 1.764". A couple a little longer 1.767". A couple 1.687"

*** Edit....

Just called Dillon. There is a compelling reason. If the case is too long it will extend into the rifling causing the case pressures to be too high.

So my next question was: Since I don't care about accuracy for plinking can I undercut them 10 or 15 thousandths so they maybe I can get a few uses out of them without having to trim them every time. They said yes.

If you trim them too short you will lose neck tension and your bullets will get pushed back inside the case. (Ask me how I know lol) Don't do it. There are reasons the specs are 1.750 to 1.760. Get a dillon auto trimmer and run it each time you reload. Thats what I do and its fast.

pat

Really? 10 - 15 thousandths of an inch isn't very much.

Guess I'll have to experiment with this later this winter.

If you trim them too short you will lose neck tension and your bullets will get pushed back inside the case. (Ask me how I know lol) Don't do it. There are reasons the specs are 1.750 to 1.760. Get a dillon auto trimmer and run it each time you reload. Thats what I do and its fast.

pat

• 2 months later...

*** Edit....

pat

Pat,

what do you think with regards to the RCBS X DIE, as per instruction,initial trimming is .o2 from max lenght which is 1.740. any opinion on this

I am curious about this as well, I am currently in the process of 223 load development for bulk and long range ammo both. I plodded around and haven't found any reason this far to trim a little extra, especially when you crimp the bullet in as well. I'm not going overboard by any means taking it down to ~1.745" to accomodate for a potentially more finiky chamber. Let me know what you think

With your longest at 1.767 I would not bother trimming. I never trim my once fired cases and they often mike as long as 1.769 after sizing. The important dimension as it relates to trimming is the neck length vs the chambers neck length not including the leed. For 5.56 chamber neck length of all chambers I've had we're .218" and .223 rem was .220". Commercial ammo neck length is .203 for a case who's OA length is 1.760. That's a whopping .015" of extra space. The longest fired cases I've had measured 1.769" with a neck length of .212. Loaded and fired many many rounds like that with absolutely no signs of over pressure or reliability issues. I'm not saying you or anyone should change their reloading practices, but if you do some research you may find it unnecessary to trim with that relatively small growth to your cases.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Boxer is correct on the crimp, but the biggest problem if you crimp? and you have some too long, you will build extreme pressure because your crimp being too heavy! And little or no crimp

On others, you put undue stress on the weapon and especially the brass.. If gets a lot too long the action might not lock up, or jam the brass in the rifling resulting in extreme pressure. Having a case a few k's under in my opinion is safer.