Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold dot front sight? WHY?

lugnut

My problem with gold/brass bead front sights is that light from the side will light up that side of the bead more than the other and cause horizontal dispersion. I've never had any use for them.

My problem with gold/brass bead front sights is that light from the side will light up that side of the bead more than the other and cause horizontal dispersion. I've never had any use for them.

EXACTLY!

These just suck IMO. I really hope it wasn't Jerry Miculek's idea. What was S&W thinking? Does anyone really like these? I'm just grateful my 627 has the easily removable front sight!

It was popular before FO sights were available, and Jerry's video is very old. Jerry shoots FO just like the rest of us now.

These just suck IMO. I really hope it wasn't Jerry Miculek's idea. What was S&W thinking? Does anyone really like these? I'm just grateful my 627 has the easily removable front sight!

It was popular before FO sights were available, and Jerry's video is very old. Jerry shoots FO just like the rest of us now.

Well... why doesn't someone tell S&W then??? Damn PC 627 is a $1000 gun with useless sights! Never mind the fact that the stock 10+lb trigger is a complete joke considering it a PC gun. angry.gif

I think the gold bead is a nostalgic relic of times past when there were not many options available. All the top competitors today either use plain black or fiber optic.

Yeah.. I like black but my friends and I just did a group buy of your sights with FOs! Can't wait to get them.

I just shot the ICORE postal match last weekend with my new to me 627 with the brass sight and my 625 with a FO sight. I was disappointed with the brass sight. The 625 beat the 627 by about 40 seconds.

You 627 is probably just defective, you had better dump it on me before it infects your 625. :devil:

I think the gold bead is a nostalgic relic of times past when there were not many options available. All the top competitors today either use plain black or fiber optic.

Yeah.. I like black but my friends and I just did a group buy of your sights with FOs! Can't wait to get them.

You will love the sights very high quality. Because of the fiber optic rear it's like having a long and short range sight. The rear fiber optics are smaller but closer to the eye so they appear the same size as the larger front sight if that makes sense. You can use the sights as a quick index on close target just align the dots, very fast. For farther targets you can use the sight in the traditional manner concentrating on blade and notch alignment. not sure what color you ordered but I like a red front and green rear on a cloudy day they really glow. The green rear color is more subtle indexing quickly but doesn't compete with the red dot like front sight.

You will love the sights very high quality. Because of the fiber optic rear it's like having a long and short range sight. The rear fiber optics are smaller but closer to the eye so they appear the same size as the larger front sight if that makes sense. You can use the sights as a quick index on close target just align the dots, very fast. For farther targets you can use the sight in the traditional manner concentrating on blade and notch alignment. not sure what color you ordered but I like a red front and green rear on a cloudy day they really glow. The green rear color is more subtle indexing quickly but doesn't compete with the red dot like front sight.

Sounds confusing. I always use a regular plain black rear. Ideally my indexing should be good enough to get the front sight in the rear notch and then it's up to me to align them just right!

I prefer fiber optics but I have not had any issues with the Gold bead on my JM.

Pat

I just shot the ICORE postal match last weekend with my new to me 627 with the brass sight and my 625 with a FO sight. I was disappointed with the brass sight. The 625 beat the 627 by about 40 seconds.

You 627 is probably just defective, you had better dump it on me before it infects your 625. :devil:

I'll give it one more chance to do right. Thanks for the offer. It's good to know I can count on you. :cheers:

Sounds confusing. I always use a regular plain black rear. Ideally my indexing should be good enough to get the front sight in the rear notch and then it's up to me to align them just right!

Sorry, I think I confused myself when I wrote that. Warren also makes a fiber optic rear sight. For close targets on cloudy days you can just line up the three dots. If your eyes are not as young as they use to be, it saves time giving you a good enough sight picture. I am hoping Warren will make a fiber optic key board to aid my typing skills.

Edited by toothguy

I prefer fiber optics but I have not had any issues with the Gold bead on my JM.

Pat

Pat, I've never seen you shoot a revolver!

Get one of Warren's FO fronts, far superior.

I don't very often but have enough to get classified and I also shoot once or twice a year in IDPA with a revolver. I like Fibers more just saying I have not had that hard of a time with the stock gold bead on my 625 JM.

625.jpg

Pat

As the Internet became more popular, the S&w marketing team realized some shooters always need something to whine about.

To keep attention away from the important aspects of their revolvers, they decided to resurrect the McGivern Gold Bead front sight. Although a tried and true but outdated sight, they felt they could spread the wealth by giving the niche business of fiber optic front sights a boost.

So far it is working. :devil:

As the Internet became more popular, the S&w marketing team realized some shooters always need something to whine about.

To keep attention away from the important aspects of their revolvers, they decided to resurrect the McGivern Gold Bead front sight. Although a tried and true but outdated sight, they felt they could spread the wealth by giving the niche business of fiber optic front sights a boost.

So far it is working. :devil:

Yeah- I'd give up my gold bead for a well timed revolver from the factory! At least the sights are easy to swap on this revo!

I actually LIKE my gold dot front sight! (he meekly admits, then ducks...)

I have a couple and do not find much difference with the fiber optic. You should just use it to attract your eye, not to hard focus for a difficult shot. That is what the corners of the sight are for.

I have a gold bead on one revolver:

PA010010.JPG

One advantage of the gold bead over a fiber optic is that it is unlikely to break. But I've found that I don't like it. In certain light conditions, it is just too bright that I can't see the top of the front sight. That decreases accuracy on tighter shots. I haven't gotten around to replacing it, but that is something I'm going to do.

Edited by M1911