Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

benelli recoil

jjw

i have a old m-1 from the 80's great gun. ghost loads shoots anything including skeet loads. flip up sights, slugs into 3-4 " at 50. all win. recoil is BRUTAL on my back (rods and screws all the way from top to bottom). i was injured and starting 3 gun again after a medical lay off.

have a Remington 1100 chip McCormick did for me 1990 or so when i started 3 gun. love it shoot it well. its not a benelli. in my mind benelli's rule dont ask about mossberg. nastiest recoiling shotgun i ever shot. mossberg rep live 200 yds from me. can shoot at steel in my back yard all day if i want to.

question ??

i want to shoot the benelli

how do i tame the f-----g recoil. after 25-30 shots in 2-3 hrs i am toast. comes the flinch. anticipating recoil. all kinds of bad. tried recoil reducer in friends benelli, (jeff cramlit- at rock castle)

can someone help

1. sell the damn gun and all the chokes and bbls (3)?

2. give up and shoot the Remington ?

3. try a p.a.s.t. pad. ? hot and miserable

4. what else ?

please help if u have an idea

tks

jjw (b.l. Farley)

1-800-508-1040

leave a number i will call back on outbound watts.

I know how you feel about Benelli. I feel the same way about my M2, love it, but it has a stiffer recoil then most other shotguns I have shot. Yet points better and is more nimble. If I had the physical demands you do I would buy a Remington VersaMax Tactical. I shot one the other day and almost laughed at how little it kicks, yet it handles like a Benelli, as it should, being a "cloned and frankened Remelli".

I've noticed the same thing with my M2 I picked up a couple of weeks ago. Gun feels great, but kicks like a mule, and I'm a large man that's not recoil sensitive. My FN SLP was much smoother, but been having feeding issues :(

First make sure the gun is propery fitted, If the stock is too long you will not absorb the recoil properly. Then junk the recoil pad and have a Kick-eez with the double layer of Sorbothan model da-202-10-m-b.

Jay

huh? my 15 year old, 100 pound daughter shot my M2 at local matches and the Nationals last year. She would get a red mark on her cheek but didn't complain. That said its the only shotgun she has ever fired so maybe she just doesn't know any different.

I agree that they do kick hard. In my opinion the beretta is the softest shooter that I have felt but nobody uses them in 3 gun and I'm not sure why.

For my 2 cents - I'd shoot your remmy and not get beat up. You may fall back a few seconds on the reloads but it sounds like you'll have a much more enjoyable day.

The M2 does kick more than a gas gun but its not bad. What ammo are you guys shooting that are having problems. I used to run 3 dram 1 1/8 ounch of shot now I run the cheaper Estate 2 3/4 dram with 1 1/8 ounce of shot. My M2 has a comfortech stock. I use reduced recoil slugs. So far no issues.

Pat

I shot a Rem 1187 for 4 years before I switched to a M2. The M2 does kick harder but I don't notice it when the clock goes off and being able to load faster makes up for it. If you want to go with a gas system for less recoil but stick with a Benelli style for easy loading, there is always the Versa Max.

I usually run Rem STS 3 dram, 1 1/8oz, #7-8 birdshot and 2 3/4 dram with 1 1/8oz of shot. The STS feel softer shooting to me then their equivalent in Win AA. Although they seem to be a hair longer The recoil isn't bad or intolerable just noticeably "snappier" probably due to the lighter weight of the Benelli. I find it gets me on target faster then my old Win SX2 which felt plush to shoot in comparison. The VersaMax seems like the best compromise for the OP as it is almost as nimble as the Benelli, the controls are the same as a Benelli yet it kicks so much less which will help with his physical requirements. Of course, provided he isn't shooting higher powered shells then necessary.

Gas operated guns like the Remmys, Berettas, and FNs among others will always have "softer" perceived recoil compare to the inertia operated Benelli. The softest shotty I've ever used was Beretta 390, 3" goose loads felt like std 2-3/4" dove loads. Side by side comparison the Versa Max is still heavier than M2 so of course with a heavier weight to start and gas operation, it should have softer recoils.

I usually shot an O/U so the Benelli recoil did not seem all that harsh. But I understand the transition from an 1100 to a Benelli is a challenge.

I have only seen one stage where a 3 dram load was needed. RM3G - the spinner. Use 2 3/4 clay loads.

You can use lower recoil slugs if you know their zero.

Or as some of my friends would say, 'Just suck it up and do it" :surprise::)

My suggestion is don't piss into the wind, sell the Benelli and the 1100 and get a Versa max. Gas guns can't be beat for taming recoil, and Benelli's for all the things they do right, have a lot of recoil. I was wondering when gas guns would make it into the tac scene, and with the advent of the Versa it appears to me that they have arrived. (Yes, I know an 1100 is a gas gun, but its very old tech)

Also you might think about loading your own 12g rounds if you don't already. A 3/4 oz load will do just fine on most of the targets and have a lot less recoil. Of course if there are hard to knock down targets your going to have to go to the full 1oz load, but the gas gun will minimize the recoil you are getting.

In skeet, many/most of the top level guys don't shoot 12g in the 12g class. Most shoot 20g. Of the less than top level people who do shoot a lot of 12g, you will find a lot loading there own and shooting 3/4 oz. My fav gun to shoot skeet with was my 12g OU, shooting 410 caliber. Recoil is kind'a cumulative, and it tends to fog up what your doing so it becomes much harder to see your mistakes, like, jerking the shotgun anticipating recoil. Getting rid of a recoil flinch is very difficult to do, much better not to get one in the first place.

Best I can tell you is, don't try to tuff this out, be as easy on yourself as you can with this recoil issue, I have seen several people quit shooting all together because of it.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Whoever said make it fit YOU is right on. I had to shorten the heck out of my M2 to keep it from kicking my shoulder and make my own cast spacer that more than doubled the cast to the right so it didn't beat my cheek, and shot to point of aim. I'm a small guy and I shoot 50 rounds of trap every week without a bruise or pain, and if I didn't suck so badly I wouldn't be afraid to shoot 100. And the suck has nothing to do with recoil, but concentration. Love my M2. If I got a Versa Max I'd still fit it. I have a light 12 ga sxs that fits perfectly ($600 worth of stockmaker work) and it doesn't bite me either. My stock 28 ga sxs kicked the snot out of me worse than that 12 ga, until I fitted it.

I certainly understand the pleasure of shooting 3 gun... But... If you back is held together with bailing wire and screws and recoil is damaging to your spine it might be that you have to do something else.

If it damages you to shoot it quits being about guts or pain tolerance or "sucking it up"........ don't let anyone tell you different....

My .02.....

Rods sounds similar to a Harringtons rod, and while it can limit movement and be uncomfortable, is actually quite stable within limits. I am thinking you have discussed your shooting with your MD, and he has approved. In that case limit the recoil so it doesn't get you into pain. That's where the gas gun comes in. See if you can't find one to try at a match. I'm sure someone will let you take a couple of shots to see how it feels.

The softest 12g guns I ever used were Beretta Teknys and Beretta Extrema. The Extrema with kickoff has to be shot to be believed. I don;t think the Teknys can use a mag extension so it is not suited for 3g. The versa is getting rave reviews for dependability and how soft it shoots. I'm getting ready to get one, but haven't shot one as of yet, but from what I have heard it ranks right up there with the Extrema.

If you couple a gas gun with a 3/4 load, you will be amazed at how soft shooting a 12g can be. There is no need to beat yourself up with a harsh shooting gun when such great soft shooting guns are available.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Rods sounds similar to a Harringtons rod, and while it can limit movement and be uncomfortable, is actually quite stable within limits. I am thinking you have discussed your shooting with your MD, and he has approved. In that case limit the recoil so it doesn't get you into pain. That's where the gas gun comes in. See if you can't find one to try at a match. I'm sure someone will let you take a couple of shots to see how it feels.

The softest 12g guns I ever used were Beretta Teknys and Beretta Extrema. The Extrema with kickoff has to be shot to be believed. I don;t think the Teknys can use a mag extension so it is not suited for 3g. The versa is getting rave reviews for dependability and how soft it shoots. I'm getting ready to get one, but haven't shot one as of yet, but from what I have heard it ranks right up there with the Extrema.

If you couple a gas gun with a 3/4 load, you will be amazed at how soft shooting a 12g can be. There is no need to beat yourself up with a harsh shooting gun when such great soft shooting guns are available.

Tar

Read the above, please, this man knows what he is talking about!!! I really, really like my M2 but if the VersaMax had been available at the same time I purchased it, I wouldn't have. For 3 simple reasons, a whole lot less recoil, longer handguard so I can get my weak hand out a little further and then saving around $800-$1000 vs a full blown worked over M2 to get it up and running for 3 Gun.

I have other recoil reducing measures, if you are interested, PM me. Or, perhaps as Merlin has suggested, your thinking of giving up on 3g all together, which is a reasonable option. I would suggest however, trying a few of these things before you hang your shotgun over the fireplace, and like me, your scores improve considerably every time you talk about the "good'ol days". :surprise:

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

i have a old m-1 from the 80's great gun. ghost loads shoots anything including skeet loads. flip up sights, slugs into 3-4 " at 50. all win. recoil is BRUTAL on my back (rods and screws all the way from top to bottom). i was injured and starting 3 gun again after a medical lay off.

have a Remington 1100 chip McCormick did for me 1990 or so when i started 3 gun. love it shoot it well. its not a benelli. in my mind benelli's rule dont ask about mossberg. nastiest recoiling shotgun i ever shot. mossberg rep live 200 yds from me. can shoot at steel in my back yard all day if i want to.

question ??

how do i tame the f-----g recoil. after 25-30 shots in 2-3 hrs i am toast. comes the flinch. anticipating recoil. all kinds of bad. tried recoil reducer in friends benelli, (Jeff cramlit- at rock castle)

can someone help

4. what else ?

tks

jjw (b.l. Farley)

1-800-508-1040

thanks to all who replied:

1. never going to quit as long as i can walk and limp.

2. have noting else to do. fat guys dont look good in pink golf shorts.

3. good about the doctor. already stopped me from another sport. tooo hard and could rip the screws out.

4. this MY FALL BACK HOBBY.

5. own a tactical training and personal security company. this is a lot easier then sapi plates trust me.

6. dont reload just buy or beg.

7. have a custom 1100 built by chip McCormick, WHO in his day knew a little about 3 gun. He ported the damn thing. no 1 knew in 15 yrs later,it would be illegal.

8. been shooting too heavy a load. am changing to light loads.

9 Remington is fine just not good on slugs with new "legal bbl" i shoot a lot of outlaw 3 gun at ft Bragg and around military shoots. slugs are a fact of life. benelli sooo much better slug gun. the benelli Jeff cramlit set up for me is awesome.

GREAT THANKS TO EVERY ONE. took it all in. got several good ideas. nice to get a lot of support.

to do list

lighter loads. old sporting clays shooter hae 40-50 cases of europe loads some may be quite good. have some ideas.

recoil pad sorbothane

suck it up L.O.L. been doing since i got blown up at work, 3 yrs ago.

thanks to all again and best to all.

jjw

Edited by jjw

question ??

how do i tame the f-----g recoil. after 25-30 shots in 2-3 hrs i am toast. comes the flinch. anticipating recoil. all kinds of bad. tried recoil reducer in friends benelli, (jeff cramlit- at rock castle)

can someone help

4. what else ?

tks

jjw (b.l. Farley)

1-800-508-1040

Maybe try open where we can run big comps that help tame the recoil of the shotgun.

Pat

Sounds like you have some very fine shotguns, and I can see why you would prefer to keep shooting them.

You might consider reloading, I actually enjoy reloading for shotgun, have a progressive loader and crank out those shells with every pull of the handle. 12g is the easiest of the bunch, 3/4 oz is my an amazingly low recoil load.

Best to'ya,

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

I have a plate and screws in my neck so I know where you are coming from. I used a 1100 for over 20 years and just shot my first match (the FB3Gun) with a Versamax.

You can put weight in the stock of either gun which will soften recoil noticeable. I used about 1 lb of lead in the Versamax. Since the weight is in the stock it does not seem to effect the swing or other handling of the gun.

I have about the same amount of weight in my 1100 and it is the softest shotgun I have ever used. The Versamax is almost as soft. And since they are gas operated it will not effect the function of the gun.

You also might want to try the BP slugs, they are very accurate in both shotguns.

Good luck

Edited by Don_B

question ??

can someone help

4. what else ?

tks

jjw (b.l. Farley)

1-800-508-1040

You can't "tame" the recoil. Those lighter loads will not cycle after a while or if the gun gets dirty or muddy at a match. Maybe you don't have the original manual, but you might want to check it out. You can have the bolt lightened, but that's more for reliability than recoil. I think a recoil pad (check out Gaston Glock LLP-they sell European style clothes and shooting accessories and are excellent) and training are what you need with the rods and stuff. You wouldn't go right back into any sport without a training period and coaching. Your mount and stance may have changed, maybe get a good instructor you know to do some sessions with you at the range and work on it. It took Michael Phelps 9 months to get back into Olympic shape after a layoff, that's about the time frame. Good luck.

I'd get an M2 first as its recoil isn't as bad as an M1. That comfortech stock helps me a lot. If that doesn't work get a Versa max. They are a little softer. If that doesn't work got a nova and shoot those 900 FPS win lite shells. Those kick lick mouse farts. They lack a little in the knock down department though.