Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

benelli recoil

jjw

i have a old m-1 from the 80's great gun. ghost loads shoots anything including skeet loads. flip up sights, slugs into 3-4 " at 50. all win. recoil is BRUTAL on my back (rods and screws all the way from top to bottom). i was injured and starting 3 gun again after a medical lay off.

have a Remington 1100 chip McCormick did for me 1990 or so when i started 3 gun. love it shoot it well. its not a benelli. in my mind benelli's rule dont ask about mossberg. nastiest recoiling shotgun i ever shot. mossberg rep live 200 yds from me. can shoot at steel in my back yard all day if i want to.

question ??

i want to shoot the benelli

how do i tame the f-----g recoil. after 25-30 shots in 2-3 hrs i am toast. comes the flinch. anticipating recoil. all kinds of bad. tried recoil reducer in friends benelli, (jeff cramlit- at rock castle)

can someone help

1. sell the damn gun and all the chokes and bbls (3)?

2. give up and shoot the Remington ?

3. try a p.a.s.t. pad. ? hot and miserable

4. what else ?

please help if u have an idea

tks

jjw (b.l. Farley)

1-800-508-1040

leave a number i will call back on outbound watts.

You can't "tame" the recoil. Those lighter loads will not cycle after a while or if the gun gets dirty or muddy at a match. Maybe you don't have the original manual, but you might want to check it out. You can have the bolt lightened, but that's more for reliability than recoil. I think a recoil pad (check out Gaston Glock LLP-they sell European style clothes and shooting accessories and are excellent) and training are what you need with the rods and stuff. You wouldn't go right back into any sport without a training period and coaching. Your mount and stance may have changed, maybe get a good instructor you know to do some sessions with you at the range and work on it. It took Michael Phelps 9 months to get back into Olympic shape after a layoff, that's about the time frame. Good luck.

A different perspective; Recoil is tamed in many ways:

1. Wt of the gun. One of the worst recoiling shotguns is a kids single shot 20g, no weight, lousy butt pad, and a 20g gun can have a tuff recoil by the nature of the burn rate of the powder. Adding weight to most guns is quite easy, adding balanced weight more difficult, some shotgun people end up adding weight both under the hand grip and also to the butt stock.

2. Charge/shot. Both the weight of the charge and the selection of powder affect recoil and perceived recoil. Of course lighter charge and lighter shot weight both reduce recoil, and can be tuned to a shotgun to give reliability and reduced recoil.

3. Mechanical devices. There are a number of these and they come in different configurations including muzzle brakes, and mechanical butt pads. Graco makes a nice recoil absorbing mechanical butt pad as does Ken Rucker, (who is a great guy to deal with, does excellent work in a timely manor.) Even a good Kick-EEZ rubber butt pad can make quite an improvement over most stock hard rubber butt pads.

4. Choice of shotgun. A pump shotgun has a much higher perceived recoil than does a semi auto, also, many pumps are comparatively light weight which also makes them have a higher perceived recoil. A gas operated semi auto has the least perceived recoil of the various styles of semi auto shotguns. Many found the old A5 semi a harsh recoiling shotgun but that was not my experience.

5. Fit of a shotgun. Overlooked by many shooters is proper shotgun fit. This can make a huge effect in the recoil a shooter perceives. Again, Ken Rucker in TX is an expert at fitting shotguns to a shooter, and is a great guy to deal with.

6. Stance of the shooter. A shotgun held wrong, or with a poor stance by the shooter will result in a much greater perceived recoil to that shooter.

7. Design of stock. This a bit out of my experience but I have read that the angle (drop at heal) of the stock/receiver also influences perceived recoil, as does the angle of the butt pad relative to the axis of the bore.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

i have a old m-1 from the 80's great gun. ghost loads shoots anything including skeet loads. flip up sights, slugs into 3-4 " at 50. all win. recoil is BRUTAL on my back (rods and screws all the way from top to bottom). i was injured and starting 3 gun again after a medical lay off.

have a Remington 1100 chip McCormick did for me 1990 or so when i started 3 gun. love it shoot it well. its not a benelli. in my mind benelli's rule dont ask about mossberg. nastiest recoiling shotgun i ever shot. mossberg rep live 200 yds from me. can shoot at steel in my back yard all day if i want to.

question ??

i want to shoot the benelli

how do i tame the f-----g recoil. after 25-30 shots in 2-3 hrs i am toast. comes the flinch. anticipating recoil. all kinds of bad. tried recoil reducer in friends benelli, (jeff cramlit- at rock castle)

can someone help

1. sell the damn gun and all the chokes and bbls (3)?

2. give up and shoot the Remington ?

3. try a p.a.s.t. pad. ? hot and miserable

4. what else ?

please help if u have an idea

tks

jjw (b.l. Farley)

1-800-508-1040

leave a number i will call back on outbound watts.

You can't "tame" the recoil. Those lighter loads will not cycle after a while or if the gun gets dirty or muddy at a match. Maybe you don't have the original manual, but you might want to check it out. You can have the bolt lightened, but that's more for reliability than recoil. I think a recoil pad (check out Gaston Glock LLP-they sell European style clothes and shooting accessories and are excellent) and training are what you need with the rods and stuff. You wouldn't go right back into any sport without a training period and coaching. Your mount and stance may have changed, maybe get a good instructor you know to do some sessions with you at the range and work on it. It took Michael Phelps 9 months to get back into Olympic shape after a layoff, that's about the time frame. Good luck.

A different perspective; Recoil is tamed in many ways:

1. Wt of the gun. One of the worst recoiling shotguns is a kids single shot 20g, no weight, lousy butt pad, and a 20g gun can have a tuff recoil by the nature of the burn rate of the powder. Adding weight to most guns is quite easy, adding balanced weight more difficult, some shotgun people end up adding weight both under the hand grip and also to the butt stock.

2. Charge/shot. Both the weight of the charge and the selection of powder affect recoil and perceived recoil. Of course lighter charge and lighter shot weight both reduce recoil, and can be tuned to a shotgun to give reliability and reduced recoil.

3. Mechanical devices. There are a number of these and they come in different configurations including muzzle brakes, and mechanical butt pads. Graco makes a nice recoil absorbing mechanical butt pad as does Ken Rucker, (who is a great guy to deal with, does excellent work in a timely manor.) Even a good Kick-EEZ rubber butt pad can make quite an improvement over most stock hard rubber butt pads.

4. Choice of shotgun. A pump shotgun has a much higher perceived recoil than does a semi auto, also, many pumps are comparatively light weight which also makes them have a higher perceived recoil. A gas operated semi auto has the least perceived recoil of the various styles of semi auto shotguns. Many found the old A5 semi a harsh recoiling shotgun but that was not my experience.

5. Fit of a shotgun. Overlooked by many shooters is proper shotgun fit. This can make a huge effect in the recoil a shooter perceives. Again, Ken Rucker in TX is an expert at fitting shotguns to a shooter, and is a great guy to deal with.

6. Stance of the shooter. A shotgun held wrong, or with a poor stance by the shooter will result in a much greater perceived recoil to that shooter.

7. Design of stock. This a bit out of my experience but I have read that the angle (drop at heal) of the stock/receiver also influences perceived recoil, as does the angle of the butt pad relative to the axis of the bore.

Tar

OK. You got me. The OP is shooting Benelli M1Super90. So that's what I answered. There's lots of guns with less recoil and lots of ways to "tame" recoil. On that gun, not much to do. Unless you have a lot of time, money, and somebody to do it. Cheaper to buy one of the guns already mentioned.

Didn't mean to get you, thought you were speaking in general.

I have never been a Bennelli fan, recognize they are well made, popular shotguns but the ones I have used I found to be harsh recoiling. There are a couple of tricks that haven't been mentioned, and since the OP has made his decision I'm going to leave well enough alone.

I have met some rabid 1100 fans, they really tend to LOVE that gun. Have shot them, but ever quite got it. Have a chance to use one again coming up so perhaps I will have an epiphany.

I am a Beretta fan, and am looking forward to picking up a Versa Max. Considering I ride a V Max, I should feel right at home. :surprise:

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

The Versamax will provide much of that sweet spot you are looking for. It runs the twist lock bolt of the Benelli with recoil more similar to the 1100. It comes with the thickest, softest recoil pad I have ever seen and will cycle 1oz light target loads all day long. The stock is highly adjustable and will fit most shooters and because it is a Benelli copy, there is already industry support for further customization. You can also add a mercury filled recoil reducer in the stock to tame out a little more. The rest is frame and stance. My 100lb daughter shoots my O/U, by pulling the butt to the inside of the pocket, so that it is supported by the outside of the chest rather than the joint of the shoulder. By doing so you provide more mass and bone structure for the recoil to push against. Tighten up your chest muscle behind the pad and that shotgun will barely move. I also agree with staying with 12ga. My local range is really a trap club, with a very large youth league. Some of those kids are pretty small and they shoot 6-8 sets in a day (100-200 clays). Most run break action single shot trap guns without mechanical assist. They run light target loads with mercury recoil reducers and the rest is technique.