Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited 10 or Single Stack

Zmego

I run an STI Trojan in 40. I have 5 10 round mags and all the additional accessories needed to shoot IPSC/USPSA.

The first and only IPSC match I have shot so far I competed in SS shooting minor because I wasn't sure on my loads. This was just a local match so no one was chrono'd and I probably could have said major but not my thing.

My question is should I stick with single stack or move to limited 10? My understanding is if I shoot SS with major PF I can only have 8 rounds instead of 10 rounds if I were shooting minor PF. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I wasn't sure if I should put this topic in here or another section so please forgive me if it is in the wrong place. :huh:

Thanks

The Mods may move this thread but to answer your question, all you'd really need is a change of mags to shoot both if you set your holster and belt rig up for Single Stack. Some MD's might even let you shoot two divisions in one match and more shooting is usually better, right?

My question is should I stick with single stack or move to limited 10?

Odds are your 10 round mags won't fit in the box, so unless you have some that will, you probably need to shoot L10 or get different mags.

Lots of other things you can do in L10 that you can't in SS. L10 is pretty much run what you brung with 10 in the mag. SS is very specific to the type, size, and weight of the gun, and where you put your equipment. And of course SS is 8 rounds major and 10 rounds minor in the magazine at the start signal.

Your 10 round magazines might fit in the "box", many of the various choices do fit. If they don't, it would probably only be a matter of sanding the base pads down. It's not difficult to get .40 up to major and there's plenty of load recommendations on this forum. Which division you choose might be which division attracts the most competitors, or least, depending upon your preference. I acquired a Trojan a few months ago and it runs just great! One other note, loading your magazines with only 8 rounds makes the reloads very smooth, just a slight advantage for the .40 in single stack.

A very thorough look over the rules for each division may help you make up your mind too. The difference that major/minor scoring can make, equipment location on belt, etc. One thing that's great ab 8-rnd SS is that you get lots of reloading practice on most any stage. I think thats a huge benefit when you are just getting started.

Edited by wgj3

10 round SS mags will not fit in the box. Period. They are about 3/4" too long. 8 round basepads such as the Wilson .625 will have to be trimmed to fit the box.

You will be at a disadvantage to those using a 2011 for L10 due to the reloads, IMO. Lots easier to reload a 2011.

practice what you have ... using 1 platform to compete in two divisions are always a plus... if your single stack can be reliable in L10 so be it.... not only that you are using the same rig all the time...just buy yourself magazines for single stack so it can fit in the box and you'll be ok...

the great thing about SS major with .40 is that you will not be seating a full magazine in the gun during a match. so you wont run into those hickups we .45 guys do where the mag doesnt seat all of the way without extra pressure. Easier to miss reloads and end up reseating and cycling instead of unloading to show clear.

Does anyone know if the 9 round 40S&W tripp research mags will fit int he box? I have a few of those but I can always pick up a few more.

Tripp does make a base pad for his 9 rounders that he promises will fit in the box. I believe you have to buy his mag to get this base pad and garentee

I have several of the regular Tripp 9 round .40 mags and they fit in the box with no issue. I can even add the nogap basepads to them and they still fit.

SS is fun, you learn a lot about breaking down stages and reloading, as you only have 8 rounds in major.

There are a lot of 2011 type guns in L10. The 2011 with it's wide mag that is tapered at the top will load with less drama than a SS mag. Again, good practice because if you can load a SS fast you can load anything but a revolver fast.

I don't think it will matter SS or L10 for a while at your local matches. At our local, which is normaly 35 to 55 shooters, there are a bunch of different gun types shooting L10. Glocks, 1911's, CZ's, 2011's, Paras etc. You already have the equipment, you might as well try it.

But as one poster said, all the cool guys shoot SS.

How many mags should I be running if I decide to go with SS? I currently have five 10 rounders and two 9 rounders (all Tripp research). I am thinking about ordering another four 9 round tripps. I think most of our stages are 16-18 targets so mid 30s for round count. Will 6 get it done?

How many mags should I be running if I decide to go with SS? I currently have five 10 rounders and two 9 rounders (all Tripp research). I am thinking about ordering another four 9 round tripps. I think most of our stages are 16-18 targets so mid 30s for round count. Will 6 get it done?

6 is a good number. It is rare you use more than 5 during the COF but it's nice to have an extra just in case you drop one or.........

6 is a good number. It is rare you use more than 5 during the COF but it's nice to have an extra just in case you drop one or.........

it is the "or......" that I am worried about! :blush:

it is the "or......" that I am worried about! :blush:

I go to local matches with 6 in my bag and never think about it. At bigger matches I travel with 10 as stuff does happen. It also nice to be able to shoot two stages back to back without having to clean mags. With the one that comes out of the gun I normaly have 6 mags that have not touched the ground after a long stage.

I buy the Tripp mags because they work, and are so easy to take apart to clean.

I'm currently using 4 10-rd 9mm magazines. I'm able to shoot everything with 4, but I'm at a disadvantage on longer courses that I could be reloading on the move. I would recommend 5 or 6, depending on how much weight you want to carry on your belt and how big around you are. I'm really small, there's no way 6 magazines would fit on my belt, I'd be grabbing the middle of my back. :roflol:

5 should let you shoot everything, if you really want the extra, then go for 6.

Edited by polizei1