Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turning down an AR barrel

gmantwo

I've built a new AR on a Sundevil Multi-Caliber receiver. The barrel I bought is a Wilson 18" stainless and is very heavy. From behind the gas block to the barrel nut is 1.05, from the gas block forward it is .840. I'm wanting to take some weight off and thread the barrel for a break. The gun/barrel is very accurate and I certainly don't want to lose that. What diameter should I go to? I'm thinking .840 for the rearward portion and .750 forward. Is that too small? Or should I go even smaller? I would love to have the barrel fluted, but not sure who does that to AR barrels they didn't sell. Thanks

From a money and ease stand point, Benny has the best advice. ADCO does great work but it is going to cost $ 175 plus shipping not to mention the turn around time.

I was in the same position as you but the barrel was already threaded so it was just a reproflie. I had mine turned to 0.750" in front of the FSB and just under 0.7" under the handguard.

Hmmm. Well I really like the dimples, not sure how much weight that would remove. His prices are well within line also

Probably going to stay with this barrel, extremely accurate, even at 600, the farthest I've shot it so far. Even with the 3-4lb trigger it still has in it.

If I have it turned only, the local gunsmith can easily do that, and will only charge me $40-50. .750 sounds like what I need to go to if I do that.

Thanks

If you're going to recontour a finished barrel, take a tip from the Anschutz crowd and leave the last few inches to the muzzle at full diameter. You'll retain the original bore dimensions (and the barrel's intrinsic accuracy), lose the weight and still have a position-stabilizing "dog knot" out on the end.

Understand please that I'm one of those people who get all bundled up in sweatshirts and straight jackets and try to be very, very still when shooting so my opinion may be irrelevant for your project.

Mark

I'd go with the suggestion to sell the barrel and buy a new one. I've seen more than on barrel that shot great groups go to patterns after a local gunsmith turned down the barrel.

The Nordic barrels are pretty close to what you want... 0.800 after chamber taper to gasblock shoulder, 0.750 gasblock, 0.740 forward of the gasblock. They are very accurate and at $269, a pretty good deal.

I'd go with the suggestion to sell the barrel and buy a new one. I've seen more than on barrel that shot great groups go to patterns after a local gunsmith turned down the barrel.

The Nordic barrels are pretty close to what you want... 0.800 after chamber taper to gasblock shoulder, 0.750 gasblock, 0.740 forward of the gasblock. They are very accurate and at $269, a pretty good deal.

And free shipping!

I've watched people spend really good money on barrels that just won't shoot. I had a good barrel and sent it to adco for flutes and threads. Came back lighter and even more accurate than when I sent it off. I don't think that Adco made it more accurate. That I attribute to more precision in the gas tube fit to the carrier but it is exactly what I wanted nonetheless.

If you have a good performer then you should stick with it IMHO. I am not looking forward to when I shoot this barrel out and have to take my chances on a new one.

I've watched people spend really good money on barrels that just won't shoot. I had a good barrel and sent it to adco for flutes and threads. Came back lighter and even more accurate than when I sent it off. I don't think that Adco made it more accurate. That I attribute to more precision in the gas tube fit to the carrier but it is exactly what I wanted nonetheless.

If you have a good performer then you should stick with it IMHO. I am not looking forward to when I shoot this barrel out and have to take my chances on a new one.

The accuracy likely came from the new crown.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after reading this I decided to ignore all common sense. Being a machinist I turned my barrel to .790 behind the gas block and .715 out front. Tomorow I'll probably double flute the thing. If I mess it up I'll order a black hole weaponry barrel. If all goes right, happy deal I've got a slick barrel with no money invested. Just some sweat equity

Haha, some of the guys at work are already making requests. I ended up double fluting it and think the weight from 42.5 oz down to 35oz. It will probably be awhile until I get to shoot it since I'm waiting on a handguard.

I would be very careful about letting somebody just turn it down without the proper tools. By that I mean a machine that is completely liquid cooled and flooded. Heat from turning will kill a barrel. Contact Compass Lake about turning. They did mine from a blank and fitted a bolt for $120. And it's .75 moa all day long.

Save money and sell it and buy a criterion 18" light profile for under $300.00

As I was reading I was not paying attention to names I thought "hey that's what Benny recommended at the Arkansas multigun sectional" as I got further down I realized oh Benny was the poster. Glad I got to meet Benny he give me a lesson in how to adjust the Rolling Thunder.