Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Narrowed it down to 2 barrels, Nordic/wilson or the WOA.... opinions?

dlouie87

Hello,

I'm stuck between these two 18' barrels. I'm planning on building this upper for casual days at the range and maybe to take out for a few three gun matches. I've heard great things about the nordic barrel on this forum but not much on the WOA SPR.

Heres more info:

Nordic/Wilson barrel:

This 416R Stainless Steel barrel is 18" long with a rifle length gas system. Chambered in the popular .223 Wylde with a 1 in 8" twist rate, it is the perfect barrel for your competition rifle. The barrel smoothly transitions to an .800 diameter that runs all the way to the gas block. It steps down to .750 for the gas block area and then is a .740 diameter until the 1/2"-28 threads at the muzzle. It is compatible with any 1/2"-28 threaded flash hider, compensator or suppressor. The barrel is furnished with an M4 style barrel extension and weighs 2 lbs., 6 oz.

or the Rainier WOA barrel:

White Oak Armament 18: SPR Stainless Steel Match Grade Barrel w/M4 Extension.

Features:

18″ Stainless Steel Match Grade Barrel

Wilson blank

1:7 Twist

Rifle Length Gas System

Special Purpose Rifle Profile

.223 Wylde Chamber

Bead Blasted Finish

Weight: 2 lbs 9 oz

-Daniel

They are both Wilson blanks, aka button rifled stainless blanks. The only difference is who chambered and profiled them.

I will always take the 1/8 over 1/7 when it comes to stainless 3 gun barrels.

Edited by bpipe95

I've had both. The Nordic/Wilson twist rate allows a wider selection of bullets (theoretically, each barrel likes what it likes). The Nordic is a lighter profile, the WOA I had to send to ADCO to have it turned down, an extra expense. I think the Nordic is cheaper too, with the profile you'll want.

The fact of the matter is they both make good barrels, and WOA will do any barrel profile you want if you order from for like 30 bucks.

But consider this, WOA makes barrels for CMP events at 600 to 1000 yds, at that distance you don't get away with poor craftsmanship.

WOA is the way to go if they make something that is useable for your platform. I have a WOA in my CMP/ NRA Service rifle and I only have had one better barrel at double the price. One of the best values in the industry at that price point.

The WOA is $280+$30 for reprofiling =>$310 vs. $270 for the Nordic.

And there is always the sponsor factor. How many times have you seen Nordic sponsor a match vs. WOA?

Personally I've seen more Nordic stuff on the prize table than I have WOA (...zero).

Whenever the products are close, I choose the company that has supported the matches I've shot.

And there is always the sponsor factor. How many times have you seen Nordic sponsor a match vs. WOA?

Personally I've seen more Nordic stuff on the prize table than I have WOA (...zero).

Whenever the products are close, I choose the company that has supported the matches I've shot.

What he ^^^ said!

And if you don't mind the 2.65 lb weight there is always the $179 DPMS barrel. It's like only 1.4-3(?) OZ off from the other barrels. Midway coupons will bring that down a couple more dollars. Right now the $20 off $200 order with coupon 2091277 (expires in a couple of days).

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/431749/dpms-mark-12-barrel-ar-15-556x45mm-nato-heavy-contour-1-in-8-twist-18-stainless-steel-black-pre-ban

Read the reviews for it on the Midway website. I've personally have had good luck with DPMS barrels.

The chamber and the materials are the same. The differences are the profile and the gas port diameter. The added weight of the WOA gives no benefit. The smaller diameter of the Nordic gas port results in softer recoil with a non-adjustable gas block. So there are some reliability and cost savings benefits to going with the Nordic and NA gas as well. I've had a few folks call me up worried when they turned their gas adjustment down like they had on other barrels and started to get failure to hold the bolt open on the last shot in a mag.

There are several barrels out there that are close, but I wanted a few tweaks and when Ken and I went through the design process of what would work best for the largest groups of folks shooting the AR-15, this is what emerged. James and I run these barrels and they are what we use on our custom uppers as well.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go with the nordic barrel and a SJC titan brake.

Next step, I need to figure out my BCG situation. I currently have a lower with a spikes tungsten heavy buffer, will there be any problems running a JP LMOS BCG with that buffer? I don't want to spend 50 bucks on the JP LMOS buffer and 20 bucks on the JP buffer spring just yet. Or should I just look at the BCM Bolt carrier group?

Again, thank you for all your inputs and shared experiences.

-Daniel

This for the Win!!! Well said.

I love my 20" WOA SDM barrel, but its a tad pricier than your other options. With the flutes it weighs in at 2.6 lbs, so its about the same weight as your other options but you get two bonus inches! :)

Edited by gose

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go with the nordic barrel and a SJC titan brake.

Next step, I need to figure out my BCG situation. I currently have a lower with a spikes tungsten heavy buffer, will there be any problems running a JP LMOS BCG with that buffer? I don't want to spend 50 bucks on the JP LMOS buffer and 20 bucks on the JP buffer spring just yet. Or should I just look at the BCM Bolt carrier group?

Again, thank you for all your inputs and shared experiences.

-Daniel

For competition at speed, we are concerned with minimizing perceived recoil AND staying on target. The JP low mass carrier (or the Young's Superlight) is one of the most significant improvements you can make. The Spikes Tungsten takes you the opposite direction. Some guys run carbine buffer tubes with carbine buffers, some carbine buffers with a spacer in a rifle length buffer and yet others run a lightened rifle length buffer. A few run a lightened carbine buffer as well, but not a lot. The carrier is the key...the JP Low Mass buffer is nice, but you can do that yourself with your current buffer by taking out weights or selling that and running a stock, or lightened buffer. Except for the guys who have no choice (sponsors) you will find a LOT of JP low mass carriers, some Youngs Super lights, and lightened buffers in the best handling AR-15s.