Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

At what level match is a chrono a requirement?

ProGunGuy

Recently went to the NM IDPA Championship in Farmington, NM-they didn't do Chrono. It is my understanding that if any competitor has doubts about whether another competitor's ammo is making PF then they can request the MD chrono the ammo. So it's on an "as needed" basis at some matches. Other matches may use a Chrono stage tto check the PF of all competitor's ammo-for example, the Arizona State IDPA Championship in Phoenix.

It varies from match to match. So matches will chrono every shooter at a specific stage or do a "surprise" chrono at some point during the match. The bottom line is that it just varies. Just make sure your ammo makes power on a cold day and you are good to go.

I've been to matches that had a chrono set up but did not chrono everyone. During the shooters meeting we were informed that if a safety officer felt your ammo may not be making power you could be sent over to be checked.

Recently went to the NM IDPA Championship in Farmington, NM-they didn't do Chrono. It is my understanding that if any competitor has doubts about whether another competitor's ammo is making PF then they can request the MD chrono the ammo. So it's on an "as needed" basis at some matches. Other matches may use a Chrono stage tto check the PF of all competitor's ammo-for example, the Arizona State IDPA Championship in Phoenix.

This is the first i have heard of this rule.

ive been to local/regional/state matches that have both had and not had chrono stages. the chrono stage, in my experience, has been used as an equipment check to make sure the gun fits in the box and that your ammo makes min power factor. this has been incorporated with faster moving stages as to not cause delays.

This is the first i have heard of this rule.

Thats not an IDPA rule just one an MD came up with to selectively enforce an IDPA rule.

seems like last couple years most of the matches i go to in a 500 mile area have seen a surge in shooters and have dropped the chrono as part of a stage to keep the shooters moving along...now that does not mean there is not a chrono at the match.

i;ve always had a chrono at a major match i've ran,but never did have to get it out..

• 4 weeks later...

If no one bothers to use a chrono, get rid of the power factor, just a thought, why have a rule that is seldom if ever used or enforced???

It's always used, and mostly enforced, it just isn't specifically tested for. No one ever opens up a gun to check for illegal internal modifications, so should we drop those rules as well?

For good or bad, IDPA is trying to give everyone a level playing field.

To be on the safe side expect it to be there. Our club hasen't used on in a few years but has in the past. The last major match here was an IPSC section match and a Chrono box was built and a Chrono bought for club use so it might just pop up next year. All it dose is keep honest shooters honest.

I'm the chrono guy at some major matches, and I've been asked to do chrono at some other matches next year.

I expect that it may come to pass that the chrono will be a requirement for major matches.

Edited by RePete

I expect that it may come to pass that the chrono will be a requirement for major matches.

If such a requirement comes to be I hope they word it carefully to allow for the fickle finger of fate.

I would hate to see a match lose its sanction because they could only afford one chronograph and it went down during the match due to rain/failure/getting shot/etc.

Ted

If such a requirement comes to be I hope they word it carefully to allow for the fickle finger of fate.

I would hate to see a match lose its sanction because they could only afford one chronograph and it went down during the match due to rain/failure/getting shot/etc.

Ted

I totally agree.

2 is optimal of course, but may not be in the realm of some, maybe a lot, of clubs.

Ted

I totally agree.

2 is optimal of course, but may not be in the realm of some, maybe a lot, of clubs.

Wow. I cannot imagine a club not having access to a dozen chronographs. Even a small club would have several members willing to donate the use of their equipment for a sanctioned match. Let me know where you need one I will loan you mine and drop it in the mail tomorrow.

If measuring equipment is difficult or expensive to obtain for major matches then remove the requirement to make power or size all together. If a club can't affors a scale, box, and chrono then what are they doing putting on a sanctioned match. Clearly I am missing something in this topic.

Then again I may be one of a few posting here that are not TT. :blush:

Ted

I totally agree.

Wow. I cannot imagine a club not having access to a dozen chronographs. Even a small club would have several members willing to donate the use of their equipment for a sanctioned match. Let me know where you need one I will loan you mine and drop it in the mail tomorrow.

If measuring equipment is difficult or expensive to obtain for major matches then remove the requirement to make power or size all together. If a club can't affors a scale, box, and chrono then what are they doing putting on a sanctioned match. Clearly I am missing something in this topic.

Then again I may be one of a few posting here that are not TT. :blush:

I think there should be one too, but I like that at matches that don't have one, you usually get to shoot more stages when you don't have a chrono stage.

I'm not TT.

When I travel, I bring my own chrono, chrono coffin, postal scales, bullet puller and small scale to weigh bullets.

Also, I'm not talking about chrono as a stage, I'm talking about performed in a separate area, me chrono'ing the ammo. If the ammo doesn't make PF from my guns, then I call for the shooter and shoot their gun.