Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which dillon

ricci

Without knowing how many rounds his guy is going to shoot a month he could easily go with a SDB or maybe even a 550.

"Hey get a 1050 with a bullet feeder and an autodrive and don't look back."

Cmon guys, we need to hear his needs a little more.

I disagree - a 1050 with a bullet feeder and autodrive is always the right answer. :devil:

"but I don't think I can afford $2500 for my first press" "Well - you got an extra kidney don't ya?"

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree - a 1050 with a bullet feeder and autodrive is always the right answer. :devil:

"but I don't think I can afford $2500 for my first press" "Well - you got an extra kidney don't ya?"

A 1050 is a girly-man's reloader.

Here is something better http://ammoload.com/

You might have to sell a lobe of your liver, one lung, one leg, and a few other parts, but if you want a real mans reloader it might be worth it. Let us know how it works out for ya.

I bought the square deal in 40 and 9mm. I'm mainly going to shoot 9mm so it is normally set up for that. I chose the SDB because I came to 3 gun from precision rifle and I know that I'm way too anal to load my .223 using a progressive press. I still load all my 223 using a single stage rockchucker and a chargemaster combo.

The SDB is nice for someone like me that is new to progressive loading because it self-indexes, keeping me from forgetting. I have no regrets on the SDB.

I bought the square deal in 40 and 9mm. I'm mainly going to shoot 9mm so it is normally set up for that. I chose the SDB because I came to 3 gun from precision rifle and I know that I'm way too anal to load my .223 using a progressive press. I still load all my 223 using a single stage rockchucker and a chargemaster combo.

The SDB is nice for someone like me that is new to progressive loading because it self-indexes, keeping me from forgetting. I have no regrets on the SDB.

In the 1980's I loaded everything with Lee single or Turret presses. After a looong hiatus I started reloading again. Started with my old Lee's from storage then worked my way up to a couple of Pro 1000's and finally a Load Master. I smirked at the Dillon's. I mean..I could buy a Pro 1000, 3 extra sets of dies and adapters, some primers and powder and STILL be less than a 550 in one caliber. Hah..thought I was so smart. Then one night, as I sat designing a new aluminum primer shoe because the polyethylene one kept getting chewed up (which was later recalled by Lee) I decided to get a Dillon. Heck I was getting old and I just wanted to load, not sacrifice a chicken while tapping my bullet feed (pro 1000) or primer system (loadmaster). Brian delivered a 550b with dies for 45 ACP. Set it up and loaded 1500 flawless round (ok..when you fill the powder back up you have to cycle it to get it to settle...killed 2 bullets before I got that)...but the 550 just worked.

I never felt the urge to go full progressive 650 way. Starting with single stage and manual turrets, not to mention the horror of the Load Master, made me fully appreciate the 550 and what you can do with it. Lately I found myself loading a lot of rifle calibers on the 550 so I picked up a Square Deal (again from Brian) and after 45 mins it was up and pumping out rounds. Loaded 350 the first day, took me 3.5-4 hours but I am OCD about my powder charge. I had a squib incident...that was enough for me. I will say the Dillon Powder system is dang near perfect...but I still glance at every round. Not only that but loading small (.32 S&W or .32 ACP) the 550 can really ZING them around if you're not careful...the SDB with it's smaller radius is much easier for loading these small cartridges. I can already tell this will become my 'baby' caliber loader of choice. Even though it's a progressive it doesn't travel very far (as my wife says "cause it's all small and cute"). I feel I can still get good control from it.

Most military weapons are not tack drivers so shooting good inexpensive rounds in 5.56 or 7.62 is a perfect match with the 550. You can load very good rifle ammo on the 550...not match ammo but still very good. I have even loaded some 7mm mag for a friend and he swears its the best he's shot..I've seen him shoot, that's not a big a compliment as it sounds :)

I love my Dillons and after years of...'something else'...I won't go back...

Jay

^^^ I agree the 5.56 normally isn't known as a tack driver and the 550 will be fine for it. I however want less than MOA accuracy at range with my Noveske. That is why I still single load 223.

A 1050 is a girly-man's reloader.

Here is something better http://ammoload.com/

You might have to sell a lobe of your liver, one lung, one leg, and a few other parts, but if you want a real mans reloader it might be worth it. Let us know how it works out for ya.

Dude, that is sick!!!! Punching out a years worth of ammo in three hours??? Anyone need a kidney? :devil:

• 3 weeks later...
:devil: I WAS A LEE OWNER FOR SOME YRS. WENT THROUGH THE NIT PICKING PRO 1000 TWICE.THEN DUE TO PURE FUSTRATION AND Anger at doing more adjusting and decaping from poor loads.Damm I saw the light I bought sdp,holy mother I now load a weeks shooting in a few hours with out any nit pickingadjusting and no none nill decapping.I shoot only 40 sw so the small press (which I do love)loads as many with great results as both lees but together.AMEN

Go ahead and get a 650. You,ll never regret it

"Hey get a 1050 with a bullet feeder and an autodrive and don't look back."

I like your style :devil:

No, no, that's not quite correct. It should read:

"Hey get a 1050 with a bullet feeder and an autodrive for each caliber you want to load, and don't look back." :devil: :devil:

In other words, be like Merlin! :ph34r: :ph34r:

I finally just sent in an order for a Dillon 650 with case feeder. I primarily load 45acp and 38 special. Might be loading more 9mm in the future. I've been reloading for about 14 years on a Rockchucker. I have free time in the evenings and have been able to keep up with my shooting needs. But, I'm shooting more ICORE, USPSA along with IDPA and plan on shooting more. I'm about 2 years away from retirement and wanted to get set up with a Dillon before money becomes a bit tighter after retirement. Plus, I will not have to spend anywhere near the amount of time reloading as I have been. I plan to still reload my 44 special and 44-40 blackpowder ammo for SASS on the Rockchucker and my 45-70 ammo. I was trying to decide on a 550 or 650 but when I noticed that the case feeder works for both 38 special and 45acp I decided to get the 650. Also got the powder check. I have some time off coming up soon and hope to get it set up if it gets here in time.

Do any of you recommend any of the Unique Tek upgrades for Dillon presses? Just wondering. thanks, Mark

• 2 weeks later...

If I had known how 'hooked' I would get on shooting sports when I first began, I'd have gotten a 650 in the first place.

Like much of life, however, things evolve and needs change . I wish I'd have gotten a 650 to begin with.

I know lots of guys, on the other hand, who have 650 machines collecting dust because they never got that involved in a shooting sport.

And, so it goes....

I'll throw in a vote for a dillon 650xl

It was my first , and current press - and I'm sure I wont every really outgrow it.

Simple to use, good customer care.

I would skip the lower end dillon models like the 550, ect - Go 650 and never look back!

I'll throw in a vote for a dillon 650xl

It was my first , and current press - and I'm sure I wont every really outgrow it.

Simple to use, good customer care.

I would skip the lower end dillon models like the 550, ect - Go 650 and never look back!

The 550 is a lower end model?! Pistols at 10 paces Sir. (loaded on a 550B) :sight:

I was really smart! :blush: It took less than 600 rounds to figure out my red machine wasn't going to work out. But I'm mechanically inclined, I can make it work, I'm not going to spend all that money on a Dillion.

But I did, very happy with my 550B

B

I was really smart! :blush: It took less than 600 rounds to figure out my red machine wasn't going to work out. But I'm mechanically inclined, I can make it work, I'm not going to spend all that money on a Dillion.

But I did, very happy with my 550B

B

Bob.....even I have already changed from red to blue!!

The red one could not keep up so I had to go with the 1050!

Square Deal, stuck with Dillon dies may not be the best set up for custom pistols or one that has a new tight barrel. Works fine for stock pistols, Sig's, Glocks,M@P's etc. no rifle calibers.

550, Great entry level machine, uses any brand die set and will load rifle calibers along with other goodies as power trimmers or collet bullet pullers. Quick change over to another caliber. Shines for someone who shoots limited number of rounds through several guns.

650, Heck of a lot faster than 550 but needs to be purchased with case feeder and all the other goodies. Springs will break so need the strong mount to get under the machine without pulling it off the bench. Roller handle is almost a must but also works great on the 550. Little longer to change over to another caliber. Works best on longer runs of the same caliber.

I loaded on two 550's for a long time before moving over to a 650, sold one of the 550's wish I had made the move sooner. I load longer runs than before on the 650 loading mainly 9mm minor, 38 Super and 40 S@W on the 650. While I enjoy shooting 45acp I load it on the 550 along with 30.06, 223 and 38 Special.

Money is an issue for some have a grand to spend you'll get change back on a 550 set up. Money not an issue look at the 650 set up but if your not willing to go all the way with a 650 then look at 550. You'll have over twice the funds in a 650 by the time it's running but it runs faster it's the old speed cost how fast do you want to go.

No one stands behind their equipment better than Dillon. Last year my old 550 got so loose it would mess up about ten percent of the time. A call to Dillon and it was rebuilt with parts for free along with a punch to knock linkage pins out and an alignment gauge. My 550 is close to thirty years old been a workhorse for a long time.

Edited by Bob DuBois

If money is not a real issue .... 650XL w/case feeder, separate tool head setup for your different calibers and a Mr Bullet Feeder and you won't to worry about your reloading anymore. Change calibers with relative ease and load large quantities if you need to in min time ...

Wow I cant believe how one sided the forum is for the blue team. You guys can chalk up 1 for the red team! I love my LnL Ap! Cant go wrong with either. They are both great machines. The blue kool-aid is a flowin.

I have a red one and it is no where close to the 1050.....the mechanical engineering is far superior on the 1050. Looking at the money factor the 1050 is still worth the money due to the frustration factors. The red one works fine but you have to be careful because not every pull is consistent. One pull the case feeder may drop a case to the slide bar and it bounce across room.....next one , the bowser drop may stick up and not drop the next powder......if there is a problem with the 1050, it will not advance. I just got my 1050 last month, used, and will have a second on the way next week.