Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need recommendation: Dremel tool

Art Yeo

Which Dremel model do you like best and has the biggest bang for the buck?

Of course, the application is for general gun-smithing, maintenance, installing stuffs, touching up, polishing, etc... but, they are all for rifles and pistols.

I don't know if they make them anymore but I have the flexible shaft model...way easier to manipulate.

That is my favorite as well. I looked for the model I have but don't see it anymore. Mine is a standard corded dremel rotary tool that also came with the flexbile "pencil" style attachment. I usually use it in its standard form, but for tighter or more intricate work, the flexible tool is a great addition.

Whatever you get, make sure it has adjustable speed. Slower RPM is much better for most jobs. I really like the flex shaft accessory too. It allows you to have better control and reach into tight spots.

Edited by Kyreb

After breaking a few Dremel's I now have a Foredom SR series. Probably more than your're after but well worth it for me.

Never had much luck with Dremel. I've done better with "off brand" cheap tools from Auto Zone, Kragen, etc. After the last one, I got the Freedom. Much nicer and seems like it will last a long time.

I've the Black and Decker version for a number of years with great success.

(That's after going through 5-6 Dremel brand ones. Every one I bought I got less and less time out of. the last one I think I actually used twice before it died. Dremel's response was to offer to sell me a refurbished one. No more Dremel brand)

After breaking a few Dremel's I now have a Foredom SR series. Probably more than your're after but well worth it for me.

+1

Dremel is a waste of time. I think a lot of botched dremel jobs are a result of dremel's just not being very effective rotary tools. The foredom is more expensive but should increase the quality of the work.

Whichever you get, I'd make sure it had a flex shaft attachment, adjustable speeds, and was not battery powered. Seen too many battery powered once run out of juice and/or have batteries that eventually wouldn't hold a charge.