Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oakley M Frames

ad5md

I love oakleys. I wear them exclusively for everything.....EXCEPT shooting. The M frames arms are a tad thick and I prefer to wear ear muffs. I wear Rudy Projects with thinner arms. If you wear plugs, look at the radars. Great coverage, and great fitting.

Disclaimer: I'm sponsored by Oakley

I've always liked the G26 lens color for most conditions, but for very bright light, I need something darker, like Grey or Black Iridium.

I'm using Red Iridium a lot lately. Great for all but the brightest light.

My blue eyes are very light sensitive.

I have used Oakley glasses for a long time for shooting and driving. I really like the G26 in a Ballistic M Frame with the Strike lens. On a real bright day, I use Black Iridium usually in a Sweep design to keep all sunlight out. I too am light sensitive. I have a couple sets of Oakley glasses and except for a couple problems they have served me well.

If I were looking for new glasses now, I would look at glasses other than Oakley. When needed, their customer service was nonexistent. I realize one company has a big presence on the range but I think I would be looking at Revision eye wear in Essex Junction VT.

Currently, I use ESS glasses on the range. I use them only because a friend was clearing out discontinued distributor samples and I got 6 sets free with 2 prescription insert frames. Other than changing prescription in the inserts, these will last me a very long time. ESS was bought out by Oakley. The previous ESS were made by Smith Optics.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Try the ballistic mframe. They have flat arms to better fit under ear pro.

I've worn M frames for years and had the same issue with the wider arms. It was a real problem when using them with my helmet while riding my motorcycle too, to the extent that I kept a pair of cheap sunglasses on the bike to use while riding. I got a pair of Ballistic M frames and problem solved, both with muffs and helmet.

The lens array case/lenses is perfect for my M Frames and getting the right lens in for the job. The lenses snap right in and stay nice and secure, and the G26 is excellent for making the red fiber glow. I use the hybrid shape and find that for a medium sized face they offer good coverage.

I used to use the VR28 lens in my M frame for shooting; its a good all purpose lens which works great with the green fiber optic rods in my guns. Great contrast also. I also use a clear lens for overcast conditions/night shooting. Lens shape is Hybrid S for looks, but the Hybrid or Strike will give more coverage.

The G30 in my Half Jackets work even better for shooting; this is now my regular shooting glasses.

I am the Imelda Marcos of Oakley's, too many glasses not enough time lol. :D

i have the new radarlock frames and like them alot. I dont think they will work will for those who wear ear muffs. I have the G30 polarized vented lenses and yellow vented for low light. the polarized lenses enhance greens and blues (i have a green fo front sight) and do a great job on really bright days.

I've been wearing Oakley M-frames for years. I like the Strike shape, good coverage without being too big, or too small. I wear Black irridium for bright sun, VR-28 for overcast days, and yellow or clear for indoor stuff.

The Radar's seem to be on the heavy side, that's why I stick with the M's.

Smitty

Edited by Smitty4313

+1 on the Ballistic M-Frames. The only problem that I have had is trying to find replacement lens for them. Every place I have tried is always back ordered. But I have seen a solution from an active duty guy who had a pair and that was to take the center anchor pin off the frame and just use the standard M-Frame lens.

And for the record I have been wearing Oakley sunglasses in one form or another for more than 25 years, so I guess you could say I'm a little biased for them.

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend a clear lens with the"sweep" shape for indoor and low light conditions. For outdoor or bright settings I use a sweep, polarized lens that seems to kill the sunlight but not dull my sight picture. Don't use polarized lenses with certain red dots though, it creates an illusion in the glass that you can't shoot with.