Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6 inch .40 loads

benjamin

tried to do a search but didn't come up with anything (if there has already been past discussion on this, posting the links is fine), but what recipes do people like for 6 inch gun (getting a fat free from bennie hill)... thanks also brand new to reloading!!

You can start with any of the loads for a 5 inch. You MAY get a little more velocity with the 6 inch and reduce the load by a tenth or two, but that will be highly dependent on the barrel. Some prefer the 165 gr bullets for a 6 inch to get a little faster slide speed. However, with a lightened slide, I don't know if it matters much. Get a chronograph, because that's the only way you will really know what to do to get the right loads for YOUR gun!

Mike

try both 180 and 165 grain loads, 180 grain loads which felt great in my old heavy 5" guns didnt feel right with the new light Cameron's gun. Some guys like 180's in their 6" guns. Currently using 165 grain Zero jhps for match loads; 1x fired brass, oal 1.180 with Fed SR primers and 5.3 grains of N320 is good for between 168-170 pf and feels nice.

the 6" is great for us fat old blind guys with astigmatism haha :lol:

Edited by blaster113

5.2 N320 @ 1.20 oal .421 crimp, RAINIER 165 HP. Once fired brass, federal match SP primers, loaded with a 550. For a major I used the same kind of once fried brass and chrono them. I Chamber check all my rounds, cheap insurance. Good luck! My gun, Cameron's 6" like blaster113 only black.

5.5gr Solo1000, 180JHP MG, 1.85OAL

Mark K

Wow, what pf do you get with that load? 5.1 grains of Solo with a Precision Moly 170 gr at 1.180 gets me 172 pf

His MGs will be slower than your Molys, so the extra powder is expected.

I am wondering how that 1.85" is working though!? :)

try both 180 and 165 grain loads, 180 grain loads which felt great in my old heavy 5" guns didnt feel right with the new light Cameron's gun. Some guys like 180's in their 6" guns. Currently using 165 grain Zero jhps for match loads; 1x fired brass, oal 1.180 with Fed SR primers and 5.3 grains of N320 is good for between 168-170 pf and feels nice.

the 6" is great for us fat old blind guys with astigmatism haha :lol:

+1 Both of my 6" guns are more accurate with 165 jhps, over 180s.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the recoil impulse of the lighter 165's over the 180's; a little more snap with the lighter bullets but it feels like I can drive the gun a little faster. don't know how to explain it. accuracy wise I couldn't tell the difference between 165/180's. so long as the load groups around 2" at 25 yds and feels nice I'm happy.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello: I am using 165 grain Montana Gold JHP's with 5.1 grains of Tite Group, WSR primers and an OAL of 1.180". It makes 174.1 PF on the Natioanls Chrono. 5.0 grains of Tite Group makes 170.4 PF. This is with a Schuemann classic barrel and also a STI 6" bull barrel. Got lucky with both barrels that chrono the same :cheers: We have guys here that are using 165grain to 220 grain bullets in 6" pistols. You will want to see what you like best and use a timer to be your guide. Thanks, Eric

So far I have found 2 loads that work well in my new 6" STI, Xtreme plated 180gr with 4.7gr of N320 at 1.140 making 168 PF and Precision moly 170gr and 4.7gr of N320 at 1.140 making 170 PF. I kinda like the 170's better but they have a little more smoke than I care for