Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying to understand the benifits of reloading.

EvilBetty

I reload 9mm for about 10 cents/rd. I don't buy brass. I started saving my brass before reloading and started picking it up at the range, either during matches or practice when I find 100 or so once-fired on the ground. I have more 9mm brass than I know what to do with. Bear Creek bullets are about $68/1000. Primers about 2 cents each. Solo1000 is less than 1 cent per rd.

I have 9mm ammo loaded to 135 PF for very little money. i can make a variety of loads for silencers, steel matches, or just screwing around.

I reload at night, when I might otherwise be watching TV or some other discretionary, "waste" of time.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loading 500 doesn't pay for the

equipment.

My 500 number was a number I figured I could stand reloading at a time (less than an hour) and which I was sure would cover a couple weeks of shooting.

Evil, that's how I do it, too. I load for 45 minutes, get

bored, and quit. But, I have gone back the same day 2-3 more

times, and can get 3hours in / day if needed.

If you're loading 500 rounds/2 weeks (10 - 15,000/year, you

will definitely save money the first year - especially on the

.223 ammo. 10,000 rounds of .223 cost $3,000. If you have

the time, you can save $1200/year by reloading .223 - so you

might want to move up to a 650 or even a 1050 to reload on.

:cheers:

I have looked into this several times in the past. Usually I end up finding myself on Midway USA wondering how people are saving money buying bullets at that price. Then oogling all the reloading equipment (I love machines). I don't want to buy stuff I wish I had spent more money on later.

I've been told people buy there bullets somewhere else at quantity but I haven't found where yet.

I don't buy bullets at midway. I buy them 2000-3000 at a time from precision, berrys, xtreme, or whoever.

to answer your original questions:

It takes me around 20 minutes all told to produce 50 rounds of loaded ammo. This includes cleaning, sorting, organizing, and then the actual loading process. I load on a single-stage press, so I can do it while I watch tv. The only time I really have to pay attention is after charging 50 shells with powder, I visually inspect the tray to verify that every shell is charged and the level is about even. I'm loading .40 and it costs me about .12/round using xtreme 165 gr plated bullets (got in on a group buy) or 6.00/box. Compare that to factory .40 that sells for $15/box at the cheapest, and I figure I'm saving $27/hr while I watch football and drink beer. Even if I buy 1000 bullets at a time from berrys, my cost only goes up 1.00 or 1.50/box. I can load 9mm for under $5/box, and .45 for $7.50-8 (not buying 45 in bulk yet).

I leave my press set up all the time, and I have a bucket with a couple thousand sized and primed cases (I decap, size and prime in bulk while watching football), so any time I have 10-12 minutes to kill, I can crank out 50 rounds. I sometimes do this at night before bed to relax for minute, or I do 100 in the morning while sipping my coffee, or do 50-100 while waiting for mrs sapiens to get dressed to go out. During football season I unbolt the press from my big workbench, and put it on a portable one, and move the operation downstairs. I slow down a little when watching football, but still have no trouble leisurely cranking out 400-500 rounds during a game. That is time I would otherwise be wasting, just sitting on my butt.

I have about $250 invested in reloading equipment, including the cheaper digital scale available on this site, and lee single-stage press kit. Yeah, I'd like to get a dillon 550, and eventually will, but I realize I'll have to stop drinking beer and watching tv while I work, so that will negate some of the greater efficiency.

As you can see, there are lots of different strategies for working reloading into your life and personality.

You don't buy components form Midway. You buy from the right places and then only in bulk. You can and will save about 50% if you do this for pistol. You must pay attention. I would get a 650 with a casefeeder and start loading your pistol on it. Swaging primer pockets can be done while watching tv. Loading can not.

It takes about 6-7 mins at a comfortable pace to load 9mm on a 650. So it won't take long to do the "boring part" if you buy the right press.

I agree. With casefeeder, bullets ready, press ready to go, 6 minutes to load about 100 rds on my LnL. I usually load about 400 to 500, case gauge them, and then quit for the night. Sometimes I only do 200. I just hit it 2-3 mights, or in idle times on weekends, for an hour or so. I go like that until out of bullets and usually 1,000 to 2,000 rds are in boxes before I switch to another caliber.

I did not think I would like reloading. But it is kind of a simple pleasure, and I like saving money and being stocked up; whether a full pantry, well stocked liquor cabinet, good savings portfolio, or shelves of ammo. The ability to make custom ammo per my specs and test small amounts is a damned nice benefit.

I have looked into this several times in the past. Usually I end up finding myself on Midway USA wondering how people are saving money buying bullets at that price. Then oogling all the reloading equipment (I love machines). I don't want to buy stuff I wish I had spent more money on later.

I've been told people buy there bullets somewhere else at quantity but I haven't found where yet.

I don't buy bullets at midway. I buy them 2000-3000 at a time from precision, berrys, xtreme, or whoever.

to answer your original questions:

It takes me around 20 minutes all told to produce 50 rounds of loaded ammo. This includes cleaning, sorting, organizing, and then the actual loading process. I load on a single-stage press, so I can do it while I watch tv. The only time I really have to pay attention is after charging 50 shells with powder, I visually inspect the tray to verify that every shell is charged and the level is about even. I'm loading .40 and it costs me about .12/round using xtreme 165 gr plated bullets (got in on a group buy) or 6.00/box. Compare that to factory .40 that sells for $15/box at the cheapest, and I figure I'm saving $27/hr while I watch football and drink beer. Even if I buy 1000 bullets at a time from berrys, my cost only goes up 1.00 or 1.50/box. I can load 9mm for under $5/box, and .45 for $7.50-8 (not buying 45 in bulk yet).

I leave my press set up all the time, and I have a bucket with a couple thousand sized and primed cases (I decap, size and prime in bulk while watching football), so any time I have 10-12 minutes to kill, I can crank out 50 rounds. I sometimes do this at night before bed to relax for minute, or I do 100 in the morning while sipping my coffee, or do 50-100 while waiting for mrs sapiens to get dressed to go out. During football season I unbolt the press from my big workbench, and put it on a portable one, and move the operation downstairs. I slow down a little when watching football, but still have no trouble leisurely cranking out 400-500 rounds during a game. That is time I would otherwise be wasting, just sitting on my butt.

I have about $250 invested in reloading equipment, including the cheaper digital scale available on this site, and lee single-stage press kit. Yeah, I'd like to get a dillon 550, and eventually will, but I realize I'll have to stop drinking beer and watching tv while I work, so that will negate some of the greater efficiency.

As you can see, there are lots of different strategies for working reloading into your life and personality.

I really like your strategy. :bow:

Well, I started shooting about two years ago and reloading about a year ago. I bought Hornady Lock'n'Load press because a few of my friends had the same press and I got a good deal on the back-order. Had my friends had Dillon, I would have bought Dillon I guess.

I can do about 400 rounds in an hour -- after resizing/decrimping die I have an expander within the powder drop, next station is RCBS powder check which stops the press if there's too little or too much powder, then the RCBS bullet drop die which was very cheap comparing to the Hornady/Dillon electric systems but works quite well and then the bullet seating die.

Thanks to the RCBS powder check die I can reload while watching TV, but you have to sort your brass in advance then. I've also scored the Frankford Arsenal Vibra-Prime feeder (out of production/stock) which turns the boring job of picking primers into like 20-seconds task.

Since I've been reloading I've had two squibs (before I got the RCBS powder check die) and my Hornady timing needed to be adjusted once. Oh, I've had a bad experience with the CCI primers -- they're harder (physically) to insert into brass and require more force to ignite so they didn't work in my CZ after "tuning" the hammer spring. :)

I reload to save on ammo as commercial ammo is even more expensive here (up north). I end up paying about $80 per 1000 of the 124gr 9mm plated Berry's, Federal primers are about $30 per 1000 (used to be $25), I use up about $10-$15 worth of gunpowder per 1000 rounds and occasionally I buy range brass at $25 per 1000.

I hope my newbie experience helps.

Edited by Stan-O

Haven't read all the posts but if you do take up reloading make sure you have a place where you can get away from distractions to reload...that in itself can be a benefit! Also make sure it can be secured from little hands...either your family or visitors!

Richard

How much time do you spend reloading say... 500 rounds of 9mm / 500 rounds of .223?

Assuming you collect your own brass and buy everything else, how much does it cost you per round for 9mm/.223?

How much of an investment have you made up until now in your reloading equipment (not counting consumables, assuming that's part of your round count).

First of all, you're going at this wrong. You won't save money reloading. You will shoot about 3x more for the same amount you're currently spending.

But for reloading time:

On my 550B for 9mm...

15 minutes to fill 5 primer tubes while watching TV

5 minutes to check the press/verify settings

After that, as long as I have a steady supply of bullets and brass, it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to load 500 depending on my energy level.

Money investment:

I learned how to reload on a pair of Lee Pro 1000s and then gave them to a friend when I bought a dillon so we won't count those...

Dillon 550B setup to load 9mm/38spl/45 - $800 you're looking at about $100 per new caliber but if you want to load multiples, the 550 is great, especially if you stick to small primer

Tumbler and tumbling media for brass cleaning - $100

Digital Scale and Calipers (don't skimp on these!) - $50

Loading manual - $20

Workbench to mount everything on - $150 in wood from Lowes

I probably have about $400 worth of supplies laying around in addition to the equipment.

Currently my cost per 1k of 9mm is:

$70 for bullets (Bayou Bullet 125gr bought in bulk)

$30 for primers (I just buy them at the gun show)

$20 for powder (1 pound of N320 goes a long way)

$0 for brass

About 3 hours of my life - I know I said that I can load 500 in about an hour above, but when I tend to try and tweak loads, which takes awhile because I can't stop doing point/read/operate because of Navy Nuke so my powder and die adjustments tend to be extremely deliberate and take awhile.

So currently I have about $1k in my reloading setup, which isn't too bad. Plan on adding about 25% to the cost of my setup if you decide to learn on a cheaper press and then later on upgrading to a progressive. You're not going to waste that money, consider it the equivalent of a class on reloading.

I use a Hornady lock-n-Load auto press and I can load 100 rounds in about 20 minutes of 9mm. I have only had the press for a few months and I am still going through the adjustment phase. With that said, I collect brass at the range, cast my own lead and buy everything else in bulk. Everything is tracked in an excel spreadsheet. 9mm Cost me $2.90 a box or $0.058 each for 157gr subsonic round. Once I started shooting a suppressed Glock the number of rounds I shoot tripled. Reloading will save you a lot of money, but you will shoot a lot more.

I use a Hornady lock-n-Load auto press and I can load 100 rounds in about 20 minutes of 9mm. I have only had the press for a few months and I am still going through the adjustment phase. With that said, I collect brass at the range, cast my own lead and buy everything else in bulk. Everything is tracked in an excel spreadsheet. 9mm Cost me $2.90 a box or $0.058 each for 157gr subsonic round. Once I started shooting a suppressed Glock the number of rounds I shoot tripled. Reloading will save you a lot of money, but you will shoot a lot more.

True that. You'll just wind up going to the range with a heavier range bag than before.

...but when I tend to try and tweak loads, which takes awhile because I can't stop doing point/read/operate because of Navy Nuke so my powder and die adjustments tend to be extremely deliberate and take awhile.

Do you also exercise Reader/Worker discipline for each operation in accordance with the Directors of NR and SP, too? :roflol:

I can relate. Gotta love instilled rigor. ;) I just opened a new jug of powder for my open guns and it took me about two hours of loading to create 30 verified samples of each bullet type I use - 90 rounds total (three - 115gr JHP, 124gr JHP, & 124gr FMJ) for re-validation over a chono and accuracy checks. I can't help it. :rolleyes:

Mr. Yu is correct about reloading not really "saving" money, but rather allows you to shoot more for the same amount. However, in this game getting better is all about practice and that includes live fire trigger time with the gun you intend to run. Also, you can't buy better ammo for your gun than what you can make, if you have the discipline and time to work up loads. You can also cause yourself a lot of frustration (and maybe some heartache) if you don't go about it thoughtfully.

Benefit of reloading? I run a 2011 6inch now and the cheapest and mildest factory loads I find (PMC bronze 40 165gr which claims 985 fps from a 5 inch) just chronoed 179PF at the last match. Reloading would be nice to taylor that down to a 167-171 range but I just dont have the time, work too much. As far as the cost, I can work an hour and cover the cost of reloads vs factory ammo, and not be out exquipment or time, or squibs... I reload rifle ammo for sure but the price difference between factory 168gr 308 match and reloads is very substanial. THe price difference for factory pistol vs reloads is not quite enough to motivate me yet...

...but when I tend to try and tweak loads, which takes awhile because I can't stop doing point/read/operate because of Navy Nuke so my powder and die adjustments tend to be extremely deliberate and take awhile.

Do you also exercise Reader/Worker discipline for each operation in accordance with the Directors of NR and SP, too? :roflol:

I can relate. Gotta love instilled rigor. ;) I just opened a new jug of powder for my open guns and it took me about two hours of loading to create 30 verified samples of each bullet type I use - 90 rounds total (three - 115gr JHP, 124gr JHP, & 124gr FMJ) for re-validation over a chono and accuracy checks. I can't help it. :rolleyes:

Mr. Yu is correct about reloading not really "saving" money, but rather allows you to shoot more for the same amount. However, in this game getting better is all about practice and that includes live fire trigger time with the gun you intend to run. Also, you can't buy better ammo for your gun than what you can make, if you have the discipline and time to work up loads. You can also cause yourself a lot of frustration (and maybe some heartache) if you don't go about it thoughtfully.

I tried but my work center supervisor fostered an undue sense of urgency by barking at me to feed her and ordered me to abandon my watchstation to shovel kibble into her face. After the critique she was fired and demoted to guard duty.

To load a 1000 rounds on a 1050 moving smoothly, without worrying about speed, takes me about 40 minutes. Add another 40 minutes for filling ten primer tubes, topping off primers every hundred rounds, switching out loaded cartridge bins, and topping off powder once, as well as boxing the loaded rounds afterwards.....

On a 650 the process might take closer to two hours -- I find that I have more frequent jams/issues on that press, and it's simply slower to prime at the end of the handle upstroke....

On components if you shoot with a group regularly you may find they want to go in and make a group purchase. That is one way to help drop the component costs down. Here in Atlanta almost every month there is a group buy for bullets, powder or primers. For brass look on the USPSA classifieds too and for reloading equipment look on the classifieds here on on ebay or other sites. Once you get everything set up and get into a rhythm you might find the reloading processing relaxing. My cost per round is about in line with other folks here although I plan to drop it when I can make a bulk order on a group buy, and I can load 200 .40 rds in an hour on a 550B with checking powder drops every 20rds and checking each round in my spare barrel.

To load a 1000 rounds on a 1050 moving smoothly, without worrying about speed, takes me about 40 minutes. Add another 40 minutes for filling ten primer tubes, topping off primers every hundred rounds, switching out loaded cartridge bins, and topping off powder once, as well as boxing the loaded rounds afterwards.....

On a 650 the process might take closer to two hours -- I find that I have more frequent jams/issues on that press, and it's simply slower to prime at the end of the handle upstroke....

I must get one of these. I hate reloading. It's a chore. In fact I have a match tomorrow and will probably end up waking up tomorrow to make ammo before I go.

Reloading is not for everybody. If you do not have the want or the nick for it then stay away from it. I shoot several guns that have never had factory rounds made for them. So I dont have a choice but to load. Turn the TV or the radio off and go to work if you want to reload.

I must get one of these. I hate reloading. It's a chore. In fact I have a match tomorrow and will probably end up waking up tomorrow to make ammo before I go.

Precisely why I wound up with one. Loaded on many a match morning -- about 15 minutes to run off 200 rounds.....

About 2 years ago I spent every day of about 2 weeks in front of my reloading press. I'm just now finishing up that ammo.

It's amazing how nice it is to have a stash, if you can get ahead.

• 4 weeks later...

I use a Dillon 650 and as long as I have several primer tubes filled up and ready to go, I can load 500 rounds of anything in under 30 minutes. As for the savings, yes the equipment is expensive and the payoff depends on how much you shoot but you will save money in the long run. More importantly, you will be able to tune your loads to your firearm and you. The selection of reloading components is astounding.

There are many benefits beyond just the cost.

Lately I've heard from guys who say, "You don't really ever save any money, you just shoot more!" But I save money. I can't get time to get away to shoot for practice, so I mostly just shoot matches and the occasional zero/chrono/test-fire session.