Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm vs. 40 for 3 gun

grouse

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No advantage. There are some situations and targets here and there where a .40 @ major is beneficial, but rare. Even so, over the course of the match the 9 is still a better bet. I carry a box of 9mm +P those rare situations.

If you're shooting in Tac-Limited or Tac-Optics where the minimum handgun caliber is a 9mm, shoot the 9mm over .40 cal. The less recoil, the better and faster. About the only thing a .40 cal would have an advantage on is on an MGM spinner target where something with a bigger punch would help spin it around. But those targets are mostly used as shotgun targets.

No advantage. There are some situations and targets here and there where a .40 @ major is beneficial, but rare. Even so, over the course of the match the 9 is still a better bet. I carry a box of 9mm +P those rare situations.

Brilliant

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought a custom 2011 that had two complete top ends, one in .40 and one in 9mm. I put the 9 on and started shooting. I'm really digging 3-gun and I'm thinking I'll dig 3-gun a lot more than USPSA matches so I'm training on the 9 and just leaving the 40 around in the small chance I decide to shoot a big USPSA match in the future.

I'm sticking with one gun for 3G and USPSA, so Im still running a .40. I dont feel as though it is a significant disadvantage. I can load down to a comparable recoil level, so the shortcoming would exist in mag capacity. Usually not a factor though.

Any advantage to shooting .40 over 9mm in 3 gun?

Only the spinner and for USPSA clubs using major minor scoring still.

I can roll a spinner at 10 yards in about 7 to 8 seconds with my 40 major load but with my 9mm minor load it takes me 12 seconds or so.

I feel the main disadvantage is cost. I can download my .40 ammo to minor and its soft shooting. I can load my 2 good Edge mags with 21 rounds reloadable and my 9mm open gun 140mm mags hold 21 to 22.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I'm sticking with one gun for 3G and USPSA, so Im still running a .40. I dont feel as though it is a significant disadvantage. I can load down to a comparable recoil level, so the shortcoming would exist in mag capacity. Usually not a factor though.

+1

I had Kodiak Precision build me a tricked out SVI in 9mm. I had a 40S&W that I could use but like the 9mm better.

I had a 9mm SA XD which was a very good gun. Springer Precision did some great work on it. I found that I was not hitting the Texas Star.

My technique was the problem. So I am standardizing on Infinity guns.

9mm is a lot easier to find--that said I still have about 30 pounds of once fired 40 brass-.

I shoot the 9, mainly due to ammo costs. I have yet to go to a match that I needed anything more...

It's called Iron-Man.

135 PF load with 147s on the spinners...I can usually spin it in 16 to 17 rounds. That counts a miss or two and a bad timed shot as well.

165 PF 40 with 180s on the spinners...I can usually spin it in 8 or 9 rounds. 180 PF was about the same, if not worse for a miss or two more.

9mm+P on the spinners...I can consistently spin it in 9 rounds.