Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's your fav Lube?

Sleepswithdogs

Growing up there was only one oil to use and that was Hoppe's. Today lubrication is so far above what was available in the past and people are running Mobil 1, Mobil 1 and ATF, Tri-Lube, and only God knows what.

So, what's your fav gun lube?

Thanks in advance,

Tar

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at Castrol full synthetic and Royal Purple Assembly Lube. Have had experience with the RP Assembly and it's extremely tenacious but might be a bit thick.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

I have always used a conglomeration of dregs from lots of bottles and brownells oil that they give away in match bags with a little hondamatic transmission fluid mixed in. That always worked fine for me.

Frog lube is one of my sponsors and to be honest, I really didn't expect much difference out of it. I ordered their lube so that I could say that I had tried it. I completely cleaned my open gun with brake/carb cleaner and lubed her up. Nothing special, just the normal amount of lube in the normal places. The first thing that you will notice is the smell. It is very pleasant. The second thing you will notice is that it is SUPER slick. I mean really slick. I have a Bedell open gun with a sideways mount. The sidewinder racker is on the left side under the sight mount. The distance from the slide of the racker has always made the slide feel tough to rack. You can't just snatch it back like most. You have to make a point to rack straight back. Any push or pull towards the slide itself will make it bind a bit and require extra force. With the gun libed up with froglube, I almost pulled the racker off when I racked it. It required noticeably less effort than with my mongrel lube.

I have switched to the froglube 100% since that unscientific test was done.

Switched to Froglube.... The auto shotgun is easy to clean, the junk comes off the open gun comp and lubes it as well. 22's are a snap to clean/lube...It MAY also grow hair on a rock?. I'm pleased with the usefullness of it, All the other cleaners/oils are just sitting now.

Haven't tried anything call Frog Lube. :)

You know, the stuff sound great but I'm not sure if I'm ready for my rifle to smell like wintergreen... I'm just going to have to think on that one for a while. Will admit it's better than smelling like gear lube! Never like the smell of that stuff.

Tar

My first thought was K-Y jelly, but then I realized you were talking about weapons lube. I don't really have one; Enos' Slide Glide for some applications; any of several modern light synthetic oils for everything else (FP-10, Tetra Gun,the seperate CLP lube, the red Brownells stuff, etc); I haven't noticed much difference between them. Might have to try Frog lube.

My first thought was K-Y jelly, but then I realized you were talking about weapons lube. I don't really have one; Enos' Slide Glide for some applications; any of several modern light synthetic oils for everything else (FP-10, Tetra Gun,the seperate CLP lube, the red Brownells stuff, etc); I haven't noticed much difference between them. Might have to try Frog lube.

I thought the "C" in "stuck in c" stood for C-class, but after reading this post I'm not so sure.

I used to use whatever I had on hand. I'm pretty much exclusively run Mobile 1 for most applications. My benelli responded well to RednTacky grease mixed with a bit of Mobile 1.

I found it hard to spend so much more money on lubes marketed as "gun lube". A quart of Mobile 1 is $5 and that will last a loooong time. A tube of RednTacky is another $4-5 and I doubt I'll ever use all of it.

And nothing against slide-glide, but a buddy uses it and said its pretty much just axle grease or similar and marketed as gun grease. Though I don't know this first hand.

ya know, i didn't think this would be so tuff. I've owned guns for a long time, different kinds of guns for different sports and home defense. Never gave much thought to lube and used what ever was handy and for the most part never had any trouble. Used WD, Hoppe's etc, but so many good lubes are on the market now. Ya'll have brought up several more that I have never heard of. Of course there's Remoil, Lucas gun oil, Tri-Flow, TW-25b, EWL, CLP...

In the end, does it come down to the astm d4172 4-ball wear test??? If that is so, perhaps I should be running Amsoil or Castrol Syntec since they scored .4 add .45 respectively. Clp has a wear scar of 0.8mm, and slip 2000 of 0.56mm. Frog Lube a respectable .58, Mobil 1 @ 6.0. Mil spec for a liquid firearm lube maximum is 0.8mm,

Or perhaps it's the load carrying capacity/film strength test where 5w-30 Penzoil Ultra rated highest?

Or is this just a classic case of over think, the result of a warped mind and a dysfunctional education system and just about any oil is good enough???

Edited by Sleepswithdogs