Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What type of chair do you use while reloading?

PistolPete

My 650 is fitted on a strong mount. As I am a tall person (well over 2 meters, check your unit-conversions) it's impossible to make the full stroke while standing.

Though I am able to check the amount of cases in the case-feeder :) The best option for me is a normal kitchen-chair

Henny.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm amazed at the response this topic has received. Looks like we started a new debate. I just thought everyone sat down when reloading. Then I remember when I took a reloading class years ago we were stand up while doing everything. Very interesting though!!!

Pete :ph34r:

I sit when I use my progressive press, which means I load for about 1.5-2.5 hours long. When I load my rifle rounds, usually 20-40 rounds only for my bolt actions, I usually stand. Don't know why because I usually spend the same amount of time reloading. Maybe I just like to stand when I meticulously QC my rifle rounds. josh

I have been standing for YEARS. One reason is priming. I like to gently push the ram in the final position (650) and if I am sitting, the "equal and opposite force" starts pushing me away from the reloader. I can kinda lean on the arm to seat the primers and goet a good feel that way.

My guess is that this will be a 50/50 split among reloaders.

Mike

I stand.

Standing, with my 650, I'm just the right height to verify there is powder in the case before seating the bullet. Powder Check System not withstanding, years of reloading habit require that I see powder before placing bullet.

RobT

I stand when running the 1050 because the height allows/requires it of me. With the SDB, I use an office-type chair with casters. The way it's mounted, it's just too low for me to use it while standing (I'm 6' 2").

I found some packs of 2x2 square interlocking foam rubber floor pads at Lowe's that are a great surface for me to stand on for long periods (I need that for my footies). Without this stuff, I'd probably be forced to find a tall barstool for the 1050.

Of the two, I prefer standing.

Guest Larry Cazes

I stand too......I also must see powder in the case before I place the bullet and standing also gives me leverage for seating primers flush. I have a tall barstool at my bench but it just doesnt work for me for reloading.

Currently I sit because of the angles involved and I use a folding chair. I have be considering for to get a strong mount and do it standing, but I noticed that my head would be hanging over the primer tube and that kinda gives me the willies. Don't you guys worry about having your face over a shotgun barrel?

Vlad

Guest Larry Cazes

Yeah...But with the strong mount and my 550B, I am not near it. I pull the crank with my right hand and stand to the left of the press to get a look into the cases when loading. I would NOT stand with my head above the primer magazine! :(

My 650 is fitted on a strong mount. As I am a tall person (well over 2 meters, check your unit-conversions) it's impossible to make the full stroke while standing.

Though I am able to check the amount of cases in the case-feeder :) The best option for me is a normal kitchen-chair

Henny.

Simple solution: You need a taller bench! :lol::lol:

I always go 36 inch on bench height. That was OK without the strong mount on my 550. But now, with the strong mount on the 36 inch bench, the cases are right in my face and the primer tube is even with the top of my head. I get great leverage on the primer stroke and at this working height the whole process is cleaner than it was before. I am guessing the in your face thing for looking at the cartridges may have a little to do with why some folks sit. IMHO, raising the work area is better than lowering the worker.

Right on Nik. Up with benches!

--

Regards,

Edited by George

I would really suggest that you stand while reloading.... about 10 years ago I endured a case of tendonitis that allmost ended my shooting hobby...changing to standing and a roller handle helped tremendously.... I was using a 550 with case feeder at the time.... regards

Henny.

Up with benches?

It's not that simple Nik,

if I use a taller bench the case-feeder hits the ceiling :blink: and it's impossible to fill then...

Henny. :)

Tall bar stool on the 650 and short bar stool on the 1050. Was using a short stool on 650 and I was getting high primers. Gotta stand or get a taller stool for it because of the way it primes

I use an old Billiard Table chair. It's comfortable, high enough to see into the casings and solid as a rock. You can occasionally see them on e-bay, mine came from a pool room in Boston that was closing down and I purchased a pair for my home pool room. The pool table went away when I moved but the chairs remain. If you can get your hands on a referee chair it's even higher.

Henny.

Up with benches?

It's not that simple Nik,

if I use a taller bench the case-feeder hits the ceiling :blink: and it's impossible to fill then...

Henny. :)

Just cut a whole in the ceiling, and mount a case bin with a pull cord door above the case feeder. That way, when the case run out you just pull on the rope to activate the dispenser, filling the casefeeder. And I've solved any case storage problems you might be having with this ingenious solution..... :lol::lol::lol: