Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I bought 5k once fired 40 brass...

DRAB81

I bought 5k pcs of 40 brass a few months ago (LE range pickups from a retired LEO), and I just now got around to really checking them out. I know, that was dumb. I'd say atleast 75% look like this, and these cases spent 6hrs in my vibratory tumbler (walnut/nufinish).

Would you reload these? I don't care about how pretty they are or aren't, I'm just not big on case failures...

ETA: They were supposed to be for my 40 Major load, 185gr Precision RNFP/WST/1.20"

eacb151c.jpg

017ac79f.jpg

Edited by MEAT

They are a little more shiny, but the dark brown & green tarnish/corrosion looks exactly the same as it did before they went in the tumbler.

No cracks, splits or bulges. I'm just worried about weak spots in the cases.

Edited by MEAT

I load some old and crappy brass at times but... The photos are sure showing a lot o corrosion or some sort of chemical reaction. Makes me wonder if they were exposed to something that actually weakens the brass rather than just cosmetic problems...

I'd have to tumble those in stainless media and have another look before I loaded them. They are probably fine but damn!

If it was just a little bit of tarnish on the outside of the case, I would probably reload them but, like Marlin said, the inside of those cases appear to have come in contact with something other than just moisture. I would scrap them.

Thanks guys. I should have known that if it was bad enough for me to ask, I have no business reloading them. It's not worth having to wonder if my gun will blow up every time I fire a shot.

I wouldn't load them for major .40, probably not minor either unless you can get the corosion off. Put them on the forum and see if someone wants to buy them cheap. You'd cut your losses and maybe someone caln clean them up with some work.

Have you tried hand cleaning any of them? If the corossion is in the brass rather than surface I would scrap them all. It could be your media is worn out and not good for cleaning anymore.

The media is still good, I just cleaned a couple batches of 9mm before these (2hrs each batch). If the surface corrosion didn't budge through 6hrs in walnut, I'm now convinced I shouldn't be reloading them.

Edited by MEAT

If you know someone who uses the stainless pin cleaning process, get them to clean a dozen or so for you and then you can really tell if the brass is actually damaged or if it is just some sort of surface corrosion.

Since they were LE range pickups (probably outdoor), I'm guessing he washed all 5k in some kind of water/vinegar/salt solution in a cement mixer or something. That's probably why they look the way they do. I've seen some really old, weathered brass, and I've never seen anything like this.

I had some like that when a mouse built a nest in my spare brass buket in the cellar. And it looked lime this when the mouse pissed on them. All corrosion came off but toom a long time. Not worth the hassle 40 brass isnt too expensive. Good luck

Brass thats been laying around our police firing range for a few weeks looks something like that, with the green shit growing inside and the brown stuff on the outside. Our range is about 300 yards from the Pacific Ocean. I'd get rid of the brass, not worth it. Hopefully the OP didnt pay too much for them.

I would advise against using any of that brass, the brown discoloration is a chemical reaction, that is the breakdown of the copper separating from the zinc that makes up the basic composition of brass. I use a citric acid bath to clean my cases & when I see the discoloration like that I pitch them in my scrap can. If by chance you do load them they can & will fail at those points. I have done thousands of cases with citric acid to help me sort out where the brass my be weakening by giving me a visual cue. If you feel the spots with you're fingers they will feel like bits of rust & that is not good.

Try this, get one of those tiny packets of unsweetened Kool-Aid, put some distilled water in a small container with a handful of those cases in there. Soak for 5 minutes, rinse them out & feel the cases for rough spots, the citric acid in the Kool-Aid will help determine if the cases are bad.

Edited by Glockman1000