Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going on vacation to Yellowstone....

So, the wife and I are going on a week vacation in the Yellowstone area (end of this month), and we are gonna drive all over the place, probably some in eastern Idaho, all over Montana, North Dakota, and some into Wyoming. What places can't be missed?

Glacier Park: Going to the Sun Road, C.M. Russel Gallery (Great Falls), State History Museum (Helena), Museum of the Rockies (Bozeman), Custer Battlefield (Hardin), Mt. Rushmore & Crazy Horse Monument. Old Faithful, Grand Teton. Any special interests/activities you're looking for?

So, the wife and I are going on a week vacation in the Yellowstone area (end of this month), and we are gonna drive all over the place, probably some in eastern Idaho, all over Montana, North Dakota, and some into Wyoming. What places can't be missed?

[/quote/]

My wife and I have spent a lot of time and money taking our kids to national parks. We all agree that that Yellowstone and Grand Canyon are the two best that we have experienced. If you can work it out to stay in the park via camping or one of the inn's I highly recommend it. The park itself has a a great deal of different environments that I recommend you check out. There is also a firearms museum dedicated to Wild Bill (on the east side of the park if I remember correctly) that is worth the time.

If you like to fish take your gear. In Montana West of Bozeman there is some great fishing. Then there is the Beaverhead around Dillon and the Big Hole around Wisdom. Some places are fly fishing only and some are catch and release. But the Madison, Gallatin, Beaverhead and Big Hole are among the top fishing rivers in the US.

I went to Yellowstone a long long time ago. I remember not allowing campfires, Not allowed to have food stored outside of cars because the bears would come and eat you, and standing and waiting for old faithful when there was a spectacular geyser right behind us that went off like every few minutes. roflol.gif

But we did also go to Mt Rushmore, Custer's battlefield, Black hills area, etc. All very cool places to see.

Have fun.

Probably depends on your route too.

How much time are you allowing? I see a week.. is that for the whole area? If so, I'd really try to limit your travels.. Some people can do the whole week in YNP

One thing I see alot of.. people spending more time driving than enjoying where they are.

What sort of vehicle? (some restrictions in GNP)

Fishing? Sight Seeing?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Yellowstone was great, but Glacier is the BOMB. We are stopped in Browning, MT right now, on our way back to Rapid City. We saw the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Glacier NP, and we are gonna see the badlands tomorrow before flying out on Sunday. When I get back to a real computer, I'll upload more pics.