Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Comp for AR

Jeff Matzka

SuperGlider:

I shoot a JP rifle in limited/tactical and am very impressed with JPs brake. His tactical brake is one of the best.......BUT.... Benny isn't lieing to you at all! I have the one he gave me on my open rifle. ITS THAT GOOD!!! Its the perfect size, doesn't get in the way, and didn't change point of impact at all.               KURT

I have not used bennie's comp but I'm sure it works very well.  JP's comps are excellent, either the new Bennie Cooley tactical comp or the open.  Lots of shooters in AZ like the Miculek comp, which is priced right and is tactical/limited legal.  I use the Accuracy Speaks Jakenator on 2 ARs and 2 FALs. It's similar to the Miculek comp.  I think Jake's break is the highest quality and it's worked well for me.

I have a Bruce McArthur on my 16" AR and a Miculek on my 20"  The McArthur is a better comp, but doesn't make most 3 gun competition rule of  1"dia. (1.125 dia) The Miculek is a good and economical comp.  A gentle push rearward and very little muzzle rise.  My splits are the same with both comps at close range shooting.  At distances of 100 yards + the McArthur is by far superior.

CF21Q85.jpg

CA17V308.jpg

Edited by sahauptman

Thanks for the all the great input, everyone. Wow, tough decision to make. I'm leaning towards the JP in post-ban configuration. With set-screw installation, I can take it off when I want. Who knows, though...I may never want. Thanks again.

• 3 months later...

Lots of good advice here. So I finally removed my Bushmaster AK style brake and got the Miculek Brake. The gun handles better than with the AK style brake, even though the AK brake was pretty good. Shoots very flat with just a tiny bit of lateral movement to the right in the offhand position shooting off the right shoulder.

There are 3 slots per side with the slot closest to the receiver being cut either slightly higher or lower than the bore (depending on how you index it) than the other two. I have it mounted so that those two slots are higher.

Is this correct? There were no instructions. Common sense dictates the slots should be in the higher position, but you never know.

Mickster:

Yep! The 2 back slots that are milled deeper go up! That is why Jerry says it,s a fully indexable brake. Turn the slots slightly twards the way the gun moves laterally and it will counter act this "wiggle". KURT

• 5 weeks later...

Speaking of compensators on ARs . . .

How do you respond to Tactical Tommies when they derisively dismiss the utility of a comp on an AR?

Obviously, recoil with an AR is not much, but it's absurd or at least intellectually dishonest to claim that they serve no purpose (in my opinion).

When you point out that they're not shooting fast enough for it to make any difference, they will counter with some example of shooting a select fire weapon into a small group at very close range.

Do they just not "get it" and never will, or is there a way to reason with them?

' Joey Da Score'

Did you just ask if there was a way to reason with a "tactical tommie"???

You gotta get on that stand-up - reality - comedy - competition show.

That was a good one.

Wiseguy!

Allow me to rephrase . . . assuming one wants to engage in an exercise in frustration and try to reason with a tactical tommy . . . and there's a finite (albeit small) chance that one might actually listen with an open mind . . . :huh::blink::wacko:

Rhino:

I am "tacticle tommy"...the shooting kind, not the hot stove kind. Anything that helps fast second and third shots ( blattent slam on .223) in any carbine or real rifle is a good thing!!! :D KURT

I agree!

When I assert the same, however, I often get some mix of the following:

- "you can't buy skill with gear"

- "recoil with an AR is minimal, so compensators don't make any difference"

blah blah blah