Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lowest sight + mount combo

amish_rabbi

bought my first open gun, its got an old aimpoint comp on it, which is a bit heavier than id like as well as a bit high. I mainly shoot single stack and the open gun is for fun/back up so i would like to keep my index as close to my iron sights as possible, in your guys experience what mount and optic combo will do this for me?

i have a quinn 2 on my open gun with a c-more. i bought the quinn 2 undrilled. i drilled the mount myself and the plastic around the lense of the c-more is .019 from the top of my slide. thats about as close as you can get with a c-more

Edited by snake32

Have a good smith melt a Dr. Or Jpoint in the rear of the slide. Lowest you can get a dot.

A slide mounted dot is the way to meet your requirements. And you get the added benefit of being able to use whatever holster you are used to. And also, you have no scope stuff hanging off to the left side. A melted-in DeltaPoint would be the way to go. You could always revert to a frame mount later if you wish. You already have the frame drilled ;)

Later,

Chuck

Only problem i can think of with the melted in dot is that the slide is already milled and lightened in the rear, i will have to run it by my smith to see if there is enough meat left there. Anyone tried to do it in the same situation?

All my scope stuff is hanging off the right side but i get the point. for the holster in canada we shoot ipsc so im allowed to use my race holster in all divisions

Any opinions on the 45 degree side mount vs 90?

Do you have pictures of your gun & how the Aimpoint is mounted? If it's an Aimpoint Comp with a 7-MOA or 10-MOA dot, there's a lot of (+) features to keeping your gun as is, the (-) features being weight and top-heavy feel. Something to consider is a flat-bottom C-More on a horizontal mount weighs just a few ounces less than an Aimpoint Comp on a small mount. The newest Aimpoint Comps are a little bit longer and more heavy than the 1990's versions; the Aimpoint 5000 is a much older design and a lot more heavy and bulky.

If you have a 1990s Aimpoint and don't want it, PM an offer - I'd buy it from you.