Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

realistically how much can a guy save

Travis224

I guess what im wondering is can a guy really save money or just buy a fully built gun from dawsons? A buddy has a Eagle in 40 cal and i really like it but for my steel matches i think I'd rather build a 9mm version.

Dawson sells an edge chambered in 9mm. Another thing to consider if building a 2011 yourself is your level of gunsmithing experience. You're talking fitting a slide to a frame, fitting a barrel, installing ignition parts, fitting a grip safety etc. Etc.

Then there is having one built to your choice of options in a fully custom gun. There are a lot of great gun builders in the competition community but you are looking at more money and lead time for that route.

Edited by lrf

Unless you REALLY know what you're doing, it will end up costing you much more than just having a smith do it right the first time. You'll have to buy some specialized tools to even have a shot of doing it correctly yourself. Then you'll end up screwing up some parts as you fumble around and watch You-Tube instructional videos. Then you'll get really frustrated and throw the barrel into the yard. Ask me how I know. :cheers:

ETA: Then you end up sending a whole bag of parts to Benny Hill (or any of the other highly qualified smith) and they'll work their magic and send you back a pistol that looks great and runs 100%.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

I'd say it depends on how your finances work out. I built my first limited gun simply because I couldn't afford to buy a complete limited gun or have one built at the time. Given the budget I'd have one of the smith's build one for me because they can tune it to your tastes and trouble-shoot it if you have problems.

Quote 1 Parts- Limited STI Frame fit to slide + completion parts around $1,650 through Shooters Connection.

Quote 2 Parts- STI short block kit with frame, slide and barrel fit + completion parts $2,100 through Shooters Connection

Quote 1 you will have to find someone to mill the sight cuts and any lightning you may want.

Qutoe 2 includes sight cuts, serrations and lightning

Then you have to include all the tools & gauges it will take to complete the build which will vary depending on which kit you start with...then there is the learning curve if you have never built a gun from the ground up so figure in a couple hundred for replacement parts you might screw up and then you hope you have done everything correctly and the guns functions properly....

So you can do the math on the labor part when you price out a completed gun from a known gunsmith.

Edited by DrawandDuck

1911's have a few really specialized tools. I took a week long class and built a carry gun. I understand how the manual machine work is done, and now the hand fitting. I don't think I could have picked it up by video. Hands on with the smith saying, move the frame here and work it this way and it will be easier was much faster. And I had any question that came to mind answered immediately. I considdered building a 2011 for a few weeks as a limited/steel/ and esp gun but got a good deal on a springer ro model and it looks like it will be getting a few tweaks instead. My first order from brownells and midway after the class for tools, stones, and fixtures totaled about 900 bucks. Checkering files are expensive!

Edit to add if you are not confident about removing metal from a part or how it will work in the system you might not should do it. IMHO this is not a platform that you should try to fit something and see if it works. You should know how to fit it, and then test the fit.

Edited by Suicycle

I don't know why people get so down on someone who wants to build their own gun, it's easy, the internet can't be wrong. These special tools everyone talks about are channel lock pliers, bailing wire, duct tape, and a phillips head screw driver.

Rich

I just did it and it came out great. I didn't buy all of the special tools either, but did buy a couple of books. I learned a ton and got a great deal of satisfaction out of doing my own "custom build". I built a 6in sight tracker using an STI frame & slide which I did fit myself, and a Schuemann Tribrid barrel. If I don't count my time, I did save some money. Only part I screwed up was a $15 slide stop. My main goal was not to save money though, I could have bought a STI Edge for about the same money I put into parts. However, I couldn't have purchased a gun like I built unless I would have gone to a custom builder and waited. The other benefit I got out of building it myself was that I learned the system inside out and am much better prepared to maintain and troubleshoot if it's ever necessary.

Now what I wrote above may seem to go against what some have said and make it sound easy. However, what you need to know it that I am a career machinist and own a CNC machine shop that usually builds precision parts for the aerospace industry. When you look at the cost of these pistols they do seem expensive compared to normal mass produced guns. Although, when you look at the cost of quality machined (not cast) parts, and the amount of effort and risk to properly fit them into something we would be proud to own, the services that our high end custom builders are providing are actually a bargain!

I would not recommend that the average person try a build on their own unless they bought a kit with the frame, barrel, and slide already fit by someone who has the experience and proper tools to do it right. If you are commited to spending the money and time to get the tools and knowledge required, that is different, but not just to save money!

Mike

What's wrong with buying used. Typically it is cheaper to find one off here or at your local matches. Shoot it for a couple months figure out what you like and don't like about it then have one built later down the road.

I don't know why people get so down on someone who wants to build their own gun, it's easy, the internet can't be wrong. These special tools everyone talks about are channel lock pliers, bailing wire, duct tape, and a phillips head screw driver.

Rich

:roflol:

There is a reason people pay others to build them lol. Its funny when people ask me how I install this or that and I tell them I don't do any work on my guns and they look at me funny. I shoot them, I clean them, I respring them and that is about it!

1911 requires alot more work than other guns to build. Its gonna need all the parts fit and fit correctly. A 1911 isnt a beginners gun to work on for a from scratch build. I take mine to a smith who does it right the first time. For what he charges its WELL worth it.

:roflol:

There is a reason people pay others to build them lol. Its funny when people ask me how I install this or that and I tell them I don't do any work on my guns and they look at me funny. I shoot them, I clean them, I respring them and that is about it!

A man has got to know his limitations.

I "built" my own M&P 40 Pro Limited gun... But I would never attempt at 2011. I built the M&P with a bench vise and punches in my condo's 2nd bedroom.

Not sure I'd want to fit my own slide, and expect it to run!

Jeff

The 1911 and 2011 platform is indeed very complicated, even though it may not seem so. There are many operations (especially barrel fitment) that can seem like they are done properly, then fail spectacularly because of improper fitment. This gets even more complicated (frame milling with precise vertical impact areas and new horizontal impact areas, etc.) with ramped barrels, which are a necessity if chambering in .40, 9mm, 38S, or the many other calibers popular with our game guns other than .45 ACP.

Unless you are well versed in the operation of John Browning's finest handgun, I would advise against it, or at least start with something that will cost you a little less than $1800 to find out if you are competent enough. Look up Schuemann's web site. They have fantastic technical articles on barrels and fitment.

Also, buy the 1911 technical book by Kunhausen if you're serious. There are no equals for his technical manuals.

I guess what time i spent in a machine shop and making knives i understand precise metal fit. Doing it is another thing. Knowing when to switch to finer grits of paper or smoother files to remove marks before it will fit is a big deal in guards on knives. Same on frame and slide fit. It is an interference fit that is lapped. Not opened up and tightened back up.

Rich

Rich, you forgot to mention a dremel :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

unless you have the specialized tools and know how, building up a 1911/2011 from scratch would be difficult. having a smith build up your dream gun from parts you select will enable you to put in exactly what you want on your gun vs. buying a factory gun, though it will cost a little more. some smiths sell custom guns for only little more than factory stuff. the other option is wait for a good deal on a low mileage blaster.

after butchering a few parts for my STI's, I would never attempt to build up a 1911/2011 myself lol :goof: .

after butchering a few parts for my STI's, I would never attempt to build up a 1911/2011 myself lol :goof: .

lol; I too have a few of those parts all in their own special drawer. :roflol:

Edited by DonT

Rich

Rich, you forgot to mention a dremel :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

A dremel isn't needed if you have a good sharp hatchet, a tomahawk with a spike is even better.

Rich

Edited by RIIID

If you had to buy files, stones, jigs, etc there may not be much savings but otherwise, you could save a decent amount. It depends on what you're comparing it against. Many open guns are in $2700+ range and you could probably build it for less than $2k

Edited by msg73

I've been a 'smith for 15 years and I did wreck a few thumb safeties, beavertails, and even jacked up a front strap checker job..Luckily, the checker job was for a friend and suited him just fine, it just wasn't up to MY standards..I apprenticed under an old-time match shooter and his son, who worked for Wilson for a time, before Wilson got enormous, back in the early 90s.

You will screw some things up, be sure, and I would start with an inexpensive 1911 before tackling a 2011 full house build.

I just built my current Limited 2011 for about $1800 in parts. That's no chump change, and without labor costs since I did the mill work, filing, etc... Tack on another $200 for a hard chrome finish, etc..