Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open in the rain?

5early

What typically happens? Does the comp blow fine water droplets onto the glass? Is it bad enough to wish you had irons instead?

Just curious what others experience has been, match this week may be a bit wet and I've never done it before.

Your shooting open - shoot between the raindrops, that's what I do :surprise:

Seriously - No the comp doesn't blow back, not that you'll notice. Take a wipe to the box to wipe down the glass after sight picture. Position your arm just a bit over the glass on make ready. Its not a big deal - we shoot in New England in downpours and the biggest pain is cleaning dropped mags.

I don't know. I have only shot a few times in the rain since going open and quite frankly I don't notice it much. Keep the gun covered with a shower cap. Keep the scope covered with a scope coat as well. I hover my strong hand over the scope while running the COF through my mind then assume the start position. Personally I think the comp will vaporize any water before it has a chance to spray. Like I said, I really only see the targets and the dot once the shooting starts.

I went through this when I got my new open gun. It's like "do I want to drive my Ferrari on a rainy day?"...I wish I had to make that decision. But here's what I came up with:

• I live in Oregon and it rains a lot.
  • I have a cover for my holstered gun when I'm not shooting
  • When I shoot open on most stages I don't have to reload, which means I'm not dropping my mags into puddles or the mud
  • If I shoot production I'd have a lot of harder to clean mags after every stage
  • If I shoot limited I'm getting a nearly equally expensive gun wet, would have more mags to clean than open and but would have an easier time cleaning the mags than my XD mags (production)
  • I didn't spend all this money on my open gun not to shoot it! :)

First recoil cleans the glass pretty quickly. It ain't perfect, but who cares?

As for keeping the gun out of the rain... well... I prefer that they say SnapOn on the side instead of Tiffany's.

I went through this when I got my new open gun. It's like "do I want to drive my Ferrari on a rainy day?"...I wish I had to make that decision.

Yeah .... It's a glock open gun. I really don't care if it gets wet, or scratched, or dirty, or if the mags fall into puddles because it's still a glock.

I've just never shot the dot (cmore sts) in the rain and didn't know what to expect. I figured i'd learn from the collective experience here. Thanks guys. Doesn't sound like a real problem.

Shooting Open is as easy or easier than with an iron-sighted gun while it's raining, my opinion.

Never used a scope cover with C-More or Aimpoint. Occasionally wiped the rear lens with my shirt at LAMR. Whatever you see through the lens when loading up is going to be even more clear after the first shot. Esp. if you use 9-10 grains of powder.

Yeah .... It's a glock open gun. I really don't care if it gets wet, or scratched, or dirty, or if the mags fall into puddles because it's still a glock.

You have nothing to worry about; just keep the dot covered until you're ready to go. The rain will have zero effect on your Glock. I was once on a tv show and we did an extreame torture test on a Glock. First we dropped it out of a helicopter, then drug it through mud and gravel, then ran over it with a tank sinking in hard dirt. We dug it up, inspected it, then with cameras still rolling, I picked it up and shot a 2 inch group. True story...

I love my lined shower cap. Got it at a kmart i do believe for a buck.

the lined shower cap is worth the extra 25 cents. I remember laughing and having some fun with a pal that used one the first day of a wet nationals. My cmore looked like a sunset thus the joke was on me as he cleaned his dry cmore.

I had a lined shower cap by the next rainy day of shooting. Hurry because they may be out of blue. Racing faded red works well also.

I just shot a match up here in Alaska in the rain for the better part of two days. I use pure carnuba wax on my c-more. Water just rolls off like it does on the truck. Of course I also keep it bagged until load and make ready. I'll shoot regardless of suck factor.