Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Dot...

Rick88

I have a 8 moa and a 6 moa. Overall I like the 8 moa better. It appears brighter in outdoor conditions. Theoretically the 6 moa is better for long shots, but most long shots I've encountered are outdoor.

I used the 8 and 12 dots for a while until I tried a friends who had a 6 on his. It seemed so much more defined and it seemed to force me to take a better shot so I have switched all my USPSA Open guns to 6moa. I still have a 12 on my steel guns.

The larger the dot size the more movement you perceive. With a smaller dot there is less perceived movement. I run an Aimpoint CompC SM 7MOA for steel & USPSA. I'm going to change out to an Aimpoint T-1 4MOA, just a matter of me swapping out the scopes & re-sighting. IMHO the smaller dot provides better accuracy. Just takes more practice to find the smaller dot in a 20mm objective lens. On my S&W Mod 41 I run a Tasco Propoint PDP5 4MOA (has 4 dot sizes & a 45mm objective lens)for steel. No problem finding the dot with a 45mm objective lens.

I did a little test today between the 6 and the 8 moa. Both were very good, however I must give the edge to the 6. I found that if you turn it up all the way then back it down, you get a more intense and defined dot, easy to find and the shot placement was a bit better then the 8 doing the same procedure. It was bright and sunny and hot as hell and I could see it fine, so for now the 6 is what I will be using. I would like to test some even smaller, but these are the only ones I have at this time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Played with another dot, this will make some of you shake your head. I have never had problems picking the dot up or the brightness so I thought, what the hell try a real small one. I put in a 2 moa, sighted it in on a paster and off I went. Shot steel and paper that day and had no issues and it really opened up the target area. I even shot weak hand and there it was right on target bright as can be. I really like it at this point I plan on keeping it in there unless I come accross an issue I have not found yet. I only have about 300 through it so far on a sunny day.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello: I started with a 6MOA but found it hard to find the dot. I then went with a 12MOA dot and it was great untill my skill got better and the target area smaller. I am now using a 8MOA dot and love it. It is bright enough for bright sunny days and small enough for head shots at 25 yards. I find it a little more accurate than the 12 I was using and almost as bright. I do use a 16MOA dot on my steel 22 pistol. Thanks, Eric