Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No shoots

Are newer shooters "drawn" to No Shoots subconsciously? Do your fears dictate, to some degree, how you shoot a stage? I see folks purposely go toward the steel with full magazines during stage shoots that have steel. How do I not let my fears dictate how I shoot a stage? Or should I?

Most No Shoots I see get tagged are with the second shot. The experienced shooters have splits at around .20 so I need to shoot just as fast. I am to new to the game to see the sights so I do not realize that the sights are now aligned with the No Shoot.

OR, I am to new to the game to understand that aiming is important so as long as the gun is pointed in the general direction of the target it is close enough.

Newer shooters tend to "look" at no-shoots and then you tend to shoot what you are looking at so don't look at them. Look instead at what you want to shoot and, other than recognizing a no-shoot is just to the left or right and aiming slightly away from that side of the target, ignore the no-shoot.

I agree, new shooters look at "No shoots". We use steel metric targets as no shoot and vision barriers and most new shooters just shoot them because they thought they were part of the stage. I think they are confused with Pepper Poppers because they are painted white too.

All you need to do is SEE.

Just see a defined spot on the target and aim there.

No shoots, hard cover, steel.... They are all shots on a target, all performed the same. Find target spot(see), align sights(see), pull trigger(see sights lift), repeat.

Don't speed up or slow down. These are losers. Just see what you need to see to hit each shot. Your time will be whatever that is.

When you are confident you can do this, FEAR takes a backseat. This will take practice, like all things, if you think it's worthwhile.

I try to run stages to play to my strengths.

It’s all about shooting with confidence. With enough practice you will gain confidence and you will shoot at targets covered with no shoots and hard cover like they are not there.

You never want to let fear enter into your mind when you are shooting a stage. Our minds have a way of allowing us to focus more on our fears than on our talents.

The more we focus on one thing, the more likely that one thing will happen. If you walk up to the box and say to yourself. "I hate no shoots. I always shoot no shoots" then guess what, you have now programmed shooting a no shoot into your mental image of the stage.

This is something that I have to continuously work at. If you tell yourself that you suck at doing X, then you have already pre-programmed yourself for failure.

If no shoots are eating your lunch, then tell yourself when you walk up to the shooting box that they don't exist. Just act like the A zone is the only thing you see.

When just starting out you might want to shoot at the largest open part of the shoot target rather than trying for A hits. As you gain experience you can go for the harder shots (A hits}.

Richard

NO SHOOTS just jump in front of you. Just relax, enjoy and have a good time. With practice the NO SHOOTS will not jump in front of you.

Mike

I saw the white target move... I had to shoot it! Cardboard should not be animated...had to be witchcraft!

All you need to do is SEE.

Just see a defined spot on the target and aim there.

No shoots, hard cover, steel.... They are all shots on a target, all performed the same. Find target spot(see), align sights(see), pull trigger(see sights lift), repeat.

Don't speed up or slow down. These are losers. Just see what you need to see to hit each shot. Your time will be whatever that is. ...

+1

Good advice from everybody responding above.

Another way of putting it: Being aware of the NS is part of what you see, and guides your options on shooting the target. Those options arise from the need in our game to trade precision (aka accuracy) for time.

For example, on an overlapping NS bordering the A zone, I might refine my shot to the point that I am certain that I will get an A zone hit (he A zone really should be our only target, but we are allowed to get sloppy and still get points on missing the A zone), or I might shift my POA away from the NS and accept a possible C zone hit to save on time.

At my first USPSA match I wasn't so much drawn to them as I was not concious of them. In my most recent match there was a No shoot covering 50% of the A zone on one target and I made a concious effort to stay in the A zone but off the NS and was rewarded with two Alphas. May be SOP for experienced shooters but I am not even classified yet :)