Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti edge and factory ammo

nmcferro

I am in the hunt for a STI edge in .40, but I don't reload. Can I count on factory ammo to work? I see that Precision Delta sells a .40 major long load in the remanufactured option, would this suffice if factory ammo won't work? Are there any other ammo makers out their besides Precision Delta that offer a viable option?

I have an Edge that feeds factory ammo all day long. Problem is that factory ammo isn't very competitive. It's got a fair amount if bite and flip. If you get an Edge, either learn to reload or buy ammo in bulk from DC Ammo or Atlana Arms. Both are good loads.

Short Chamber is a term for barrels that haven't had a chamber cut yet. STI cuts the chamber on an Edge, it will generally run ammo from factory length up to about 1.19ish. Any longer than that and it may need to be reamed to except longer ammo to head space correctly. Which longer ammo than 1.185 isn't needed unless you want to use Clays powder. Then you need to load long and the Edge will need to be reamed.

I went to Atlanta arms website. Do you guys know how much The 40 long costs?

You have to check via email if he has any vendors near you. If you do, you will need to go through a vendor. If not they will sell direct. I believe there is a feature to put in your zip to check for nearest vendors.

Factory ammo should run because the barrels come short chambered. In my EDGE .40 I had to get the barrel reamed for it to run.

Short chambered means the chamber still has to be cut to get the proper headspace and once done has nothing to do with OAL of the cartridge. Short chambers are usually found on match barrels that need to be fitted to the gun. After the barrel has been fitted to the slide and the proper hood length set then the chamber is reamed for proper headspacing of the cartridge and that never changes.

I believe what you are referring to is the rifling lead which CAN have an effect on how the gun functions. There is a very short section of the bore just in front of the chamber where there is basically no rifling so that a cartridge with the bullet shoulder protruding from the case mouth will not have a problem chambering all the way. On some barrels this 'lead' can be so short that it causes problems when a cartridge is loaded longer than factory specs. A reamer can be used to lengthen the lead a bit to accommodate longer loads, but the length of the chamber is never changed in this process.

You guys running factory ammo, are you using the stock STI mags with stock followers? I can't run short ammo in my STI mags with Grams followers because they will nose dive and jam. The Stock followers seem like they prevent tilting.

I ran 165 grain, Winchester, white box for a while. It chronoed about 170pf, but, it was a little harsh. :surprise:

Slower powder, with a light bullet has more perceived recoil. I like 180's and N320, Titegroup, or Clays. The site tracks nice and recoil is more of a push than a snap. Reloading is really the way to go if you want the best ammo.

You guys running factory ammo, are you using the stock STI mags with stock followers? I can't run short ammo in my STI mags with Grams followers because they will nose dive and jam. The Stock followers seem like they prevent tilting.

I have the same problem

Per the PDF I recieve from Atlanta arms a week ago the 180gr 40 I40180 is 13 bucks a box of 50 and the longer OAL I40180L is 13.50. for the reman stuff. pretty good prices I know I will be ordering some.

those are pretty good prices for .40. around here .40 is about $15+ per 50. I had a tuned Edge that would run factory .40 about 95% of the time with stock mags. Never tried the aftermarket followers with that gun and factory ammo. Know another guy whose Edge won't run factory .40 so I guess its luck of the draw