Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 627 38 Super Owner

JoseyWalesX

Hey guys, I shot an ICORE match yesterday with a borrowed 625 and was hooked, now I know why they call us auto shooters in USPSA bottom feeders ;) I went to the LGS today and they happened to have a new 627 in 38 super behind the glass, it promptly made its way to my truck.

I have heard that I need to use HearthCo moon clips, where is the cheapest place to purchase these? Also what brass should do you recommend that I use with the moonclips? I plan on getting a speed-e-rack holder. Lastly, what loader/unloader do you guys recommend for the clips?

thanks!

get your moon clips from hearthco shouldnt matter what brand brass you use just use all the same brand dont waste money on the expensive moon tools you can make a nice demooner out of a piece of copper pipe or a golf club and use plires to snap the rds in if u cant with your fingers

JW, I did not believe that you could type cheap and Hearthco in the same sentence....There are several less expensive moonclips out there. But somewhat like the sign on the speedshop wall " How fast do you want to go?" So far Hearthco moonclips are the most consistant moon clip out there. I can reload faster and smoother with them than I can with most others. As for brass as there are spec's on the extractor groove all the brass is good and you do not lose any. The groove on the 38 357 are not spec'd out so they are some varieances to them but not the auto brass, and W W is the cheaper so far. I use whatever I have. :ph34r:

Hey guys, I shot an ICORE match yesterday with a borrowed 625 and was hooked, now I know why they call us auto shooters in USPSA bottom feeders ;) I went to the LGS today and they happened to have a new 627 in 38 super behind the glass, it promptly made its way to my truck.

I have heard that I need to use HearthCo moon clips, where is the cheapest place to purchase these? Also what brass should do you recommend that I use with the moonclips? I plan on getting a speed-e-rack holder. Lastly, what loader/unloader do you guys recommend for the clips?

thanks!

I use the inexpensive($75 per 100) Ranch Products moonclips and have not had any problems. I also do not cringe when someone steps on them.

When it come to the spediest relaods you cannot beat the S&W625 and 45ACP loads.

Edited by TonyT

JW, I did not believe that you could type cheap and Hearthco in the same sentence....There are several less expensive moonclips out there. But somewhat like the sign on the speedshop wall " How fast do you want to go?" So far Hearthco moonclips are the most consistant moon clip out there. I can reload faster and smoother with them than I can with most others. As for brass as there are spec's on the extractor groove all the brass is good and you do not lose any. The groove on the 38 357 are not spec'd out so they are some varieances to them but not the auto brass, and W W is the cheaper so far. I use whatever I have. :ph34r:

decide on brass first....recommend starline....then tell David (Hearthco) what you are using and he will match it up. If you don't want to screw around, this is the way to go

Edited by underlug

Big difference between dropping a 38 super into a .355 cylinder hole and dropping a 45 . Starline brass and top end moon clips including S&W factory will save you bunches time. Given we have lots of reloads equates to seconds saved. I have 50 plus of the cheap moonclips for 38 super and cannot figure out a use for them.

Jim G

decide on brass first....recommend starline....then tell David (Hearthco) what you are using and he will match it up. If you don't want to screw around, this is the way to go

Is there a website or contact information for Hearthco?

He is "Hearthco" on this forum. Look him up and either PM or email him. There is a thread "Hearthco moon clip questions" where he responds. Click on his user name

Edited by underlug

I'd recommend the solid Hearthco's. I just bought a 38 super 627 as well 2 months ago and got the slit Hearthco's but they feel and look a tad looser than the factory clips. This is with nickle plated starline and I haven't had a chance to shoot the gun at all and put them to the test, so YMMV. Tom at TK is a good guy though.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

+1 Starline and Hearthco are the No-Hassle way to go!

Also, check out North Mountain Moonclip Holders HERE I like that the moons are closer together, keeps me from going down to an empty post.

Most Important, have fun! :cheers:

Looks like I may have to go with a North Mountain, spoke with Speed-e-Rack today and was told that they no longer make one for the 38 super due to variances in the moonclips. I told them that I would be using Hearthcos exclusively and so she is going to check and see if I can get one made.

• 1 month later...

I used to think that Hearthco clips were not worth the price. I tried most of the others and finally concluded they were the very best. I use them now exclusively during competition and use the cheap moonclips for practice. I also use a speed-e-rack and swear by the BMT loaders mentioned above.

You can reach Dave Hearth here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showuser=3461

Just as an FYI, I've always used and swore by the Hearthco's with the slits. I could load them by hand too. But before this year's IRC, I bought some of the solid moons for my .38 super 8 shot. Tom at TK Customs said how well they reloaded though he noted you couldn't load them by hand and they wouldn't work with the BMT.

I tried them and they were really tight to load but did drop in pretty slick during reloads. Problem was when the rounds expanded they would sometimes bind up in the cylinder. It happened first at the IRC :surprise: but luckily it was at the unload and show clear. I wasn't sure if it was the moons or what but figured I'd shelve them for a while and get some more hearthco's with the slit.

Tom (who always picks up the phone when I call, even after hours sometimes...) noted that the batch I got was machined too tight and indicated that's why I had the bind up problem. He said they've machined new moon and to just send back my others and he'd replace them. And that the new moons would work with the BMT. So if you have solid 8 shot moons, you might check which you have. I think he said they'd be machining in a little notch in one of the arms to designate the improved ones. And the website noted they were discontinuing the hearthco's with the slits.

So, scary moment at big match, great/responsible customer service by Tom at TK customs, and now an excuse to buy a BMT.

Edited by one-gun

1340060854[/url]' post='1727089']

thanks!

Josey

I have been happy with Ranch Products moon clips. They are about $75 per hundred shipped to your house. They are nice people to deal with. I use them in both 45 acp and 38 special. Don't have a 38 super,so it could be completely different.

You won't regret buying Starline brass. Buy direct from them for a decent price and free shipping. Good people and great brass.

I have seen the BMT nooner but can't bring myself to plunk down the change for one, ESP since I would have to get one for each caliber. I have been very happy with This one http://www.mooncliptool.com/. Additional arbors are inexpensive when the day comes that you have afew revolvers in different calibers that use moon clips. I also have a California competition works moon clip loader that just sit on the shelf. It works great for ball amm, not so much for JHP bullets.

-john

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Big difference between dropping a 38 super into a .355 cylinder hole and dropping a 45 . Starline brass and top end moon clips including S&W factory will save you bunches time. Given we have lots of reloads equates to seconds saved. I have 50 plus of the cheap moonclips for 38 super and cannot figure out a use for them.

Jim G

I never knew that. Dave

He is "Hearthco" on this forum. Look him up and either PM or email him. There is a thread "Hearthco moon clip questions" where he responds. Click on his user name

• 4 weeks later...

Just as an FYI, I've always used and swore by the Hearthco's with the slits. I could load them by hand too. But before this year's IRC, I bought some of the solid moons for my .38 super 8 shot. Tom at TK Customs said how well they reloaded though he noted you couldn't load them by hand and they wouldn't work with the BMT.

I tried them and they were really tight to load but did drop in pretty slick during reloads. Problem was when the rounds expanded they would sometimes bind up in the cylinder. It happened first at the IRC :surprise: but luckily it was at the unload and show clear. I wasn't sure if it was the moons or what but figured I'd shelve them for a while and get some more hearthco's with the slit.

Tom (who always picks up the phone when I call, even after hours sometimes...) noted that the batch I got was machined too tight and indicated that's why I had the bind up problem. He said they've machined new moon and to just send back my others and he'd replace them. And that the new moons would work with the BMT. So if you have solid 8 shot moons, you might check which you have. I think he said they'd be machining in a little notch in one of the arms to designate the improved ones. And the website noted they were discontinuing the hearthco's with the slits.

So, scary moment at big match, great/responsible customer service by Tom at TK customs, and now an excuse to buy a BMT.

I just recievied some of the New and improved 38 super clips. I was surprised at how loose they are. It may be my brass. I will definately try some other brass in them when I get the range this weekend. My brass is all new PMC only shot in this revolver. I really thought they would hold them tighter than my stamped clips. They appear to flop the same. After the Midwest regional this weekend I will report back and tell you how they did. I have really enjoyed the .38special hearthcos. I hope these work out the same.

Just back from the Midwest Revolver Championship. Forget everything I posted about being concerned with the floppiness of the clips. While the do flop around more than I expected. They performed amazingly well. They do wrap around each grove more than my other brand of clip. This does support the round better and guarantee that the round will not fall out of the clip. I left home very concerned. I was very pleased with every reload during the match. I shot one of my best matches ever and did not have a single 10th of a second lost to a reload due to a clip issue. Everything preformed as advertised. Thanks Dave again for such a great product. Thank you Tom for making them so available to the masses.