Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who makes a true left handed 1911?

Bshooter

I heard that Mitchell Arms used to make a left handed 1911, anyone know if they still do? If not is there a company that does. I have a fiend that if left handed and would really be interested.

Not sure the left handed friend would take kindly to that comment because "she" is a fiesty shooter. She shoots an XDm now but wants to go to a 1911 but wants the slide release to be on the correct side for a left hander. Anyone know if they still make them?

Joe Chambers has also made one. Better be willing to get the check book out though.

http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.php?681-A-Simple-Pair-of-Pistols...pics!

Like others said, it would be FAR cheaper and easier just to get a 1911 and add a mag release on the right side, and an ambi safety. Teach her the "proper" over-hand technique and she'll never have to use the slide stop.

Edited by polizei1

Not sure the left handed friend would take kindly to that comment because "she" is a fiesty shooter. She shoots an XDm now but wants to go to a 1911 but wants the slide release to be on the correct side for a left hander. Anyone know if they still make them?

I'm not left handed, but I cannot reach the slide stop/slide release on a 1911/2011, Glock or M&P because of short fingers growing ut of small hands. I just rack the slide, whether loading or reloading.

Its a slide stop, not a slide release. Most folks who shoot competitively grasp the slide to manipulate anyway. +1 to getting ambi safety and lefty friendly mag release and don't use the slide stop.

I'm a lefty and frankly, other than throwing on an ambi safety, I think the regular 1911 is just fine. I certainly wouldn't think it was worth the extra cost, much less the tremendous PITA if you ever wanted any custom work or aftermarket parts added.

To make my 1911s more left hand friendly, I polish up the magazine catch exterior and the tunnel the spring catch lock rides in. I also use an extended mag release (I like the 10-8 Performance best). There is a Brown competition weight mag release spring to make it easier for her trigger finger to activate it. I don't use the overhand slide release because it takes more time for me and my trigger finger falls naturally on the normal 1911slide stop/catch/release. For speed or for ease of operation both up and down with the trigger finger, I have the ugly Wilson slide stop with the little shelf on it. I would try the Harrison design if I was looking to outfit a new gun. As to ambi levers, I originally liked the widest I could find for more leverage. Might be a consideration with a shooter with less hand strength.

Im a lefty and i personally think that the 1911 is more lefty friendly than righty. As for slide stop my trigger finger rest there naturally during reloading and the push from inserting the mag automatically forces my finger to release the slide stop. Mag catch is in the perfect spot too, I use my middle finger to activate mag catch without having to shift my grip around to do so. Ejection port no big deal unless your thumbs are pointing straight up.

I'm a lefty and the 1911 is perfect for leftys with ambi saftey and extended mag release. Your index finger is perfectly positioned to drop a mag and in fact they makes modified mag release for rights that moves the button to the other side so they can use their right index finger.

I think Caspian at one time had left handed kits for sale. The guy you might want to talk to about a left handed build would be Otto Matyska,(Ottocomp) here in St. Louis, 314-638-3327. He is a world class gunsmith and also happens to be left handed.

Marty

A-7424

Being a lefty I find that using my left hand index figure to manipulate the slide stop and mag release is an advantage. The gun dose not shift in my hand and there is no way that my trigger finger will be in the trigger guard during a mag change. Since I use standard firearms I can uses anyone's firearm in a pinch and in the unlikely event that I would want to sell one of my 1911's, since they are standard I would not need to find a specialized Audience.

Its a slide stop, not a slide release. Most folks who shoot competitively grasp the slide to manipulate anyway. +1 to getting ambi safety and lefty friendly mag release and don't use the slide stop.

Really?

Everyone I have seen that is dropping the slide uses the slide release. Gripping the slide is much slower but I love the folks that do it that way

You would change your mind if you went and shot or saw the single stack classic.

You would change your mind if you went and shot or saw the single stack classic.

I have shot the single stack classic, and no, it didn't change my mind :-)