Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris Fast Fire III

Glockman1000

Working on my Glock Open build & got this last week & would like to give an unofficial review/unboxing of the product.

Fast Fire III 8MOA w/Picatinny mount.

First up the Box:

1.jpg

Contents sans the battery & the FFIII since I had already mounted it. Mini screwdriver, Sunshade/protector, Picatinny mount, Torx driver for mounting to Picatinny base, Manual & warranty card, Cleaning cloth.

2.jpg

Mounted on my Glock 24 slide with a Springer Precision mount. Really liking the screwdriver adjustments for W&E, laser boresighted in less than a minute.

3.jpg

Left profile showing the Power/Adjustment button. Not soft & takes a firm press to activate:

5.jpg

Front view below the lens is the autosensor, If you melt the FFIII & don't plan to use the auto adjust setting, you could probably do without it.

4.jpg

Top view of the battery compartment with screw in cap, toss up on this one, since I don't know how well it may stay on while in use on a slide ride, just to be safe, I'll probably be checking it before every stage:

6.jpg

Next post more on the dot brightness.

Continued:

The auto adjust responds fairly quickly to changes in light conditions from initial testing going in & outside & different rooms in the house.

Press Once-Auto adjust with a single room lamp:

8.jpg

Next press-High brightness:

9.jpg

Next press-Medium brightness:

10.jpg

The camera did something as it looked redder to me that the pic is showing.

Next press-Low brightness:

11.jpg

The brightness matched the auto adjust in the room lighting.

Press it one more time & it shuts off. Press it again & repeat the cycle.

So far I really like the layout of this sight. The dot is really well defined. The ease of zero adjustment without having to play with opposing locking screws (I had an Optima when they first came out.) You can feel really soft clicks when adjusting it. Works with Burris Fastfire II mounts, obviously with the Springer mount also! Manual claims it is water resistant but if exposed to saltwater or dirty water to rinse with distilled water.

Two things that bother me are the battery compartment, convenient for changing but how well it will hold up to constant slide riding is still to be tested, but if used on a micro dot mount might not be so bad, second is the availability of the battery, it uses a CR1632, that I have yet to find out here, good thing we have a watch repairman that is one of our club members & might have these available. Will have more info after I give it a test run this weekend at the range, weather permitting.

Safe Shooting All!

One of my problems with the Fastfire II was that the dot was not that bright, so I went to a C-More STS. Can you tell me how the Fastfire III compares with the Fastfire II or the STS for Brightness?

Mark K

Hi Mark,

I've never had a FFII or STS so I can't compare them, in all fairness brightness might be subjective to each person. I will post when I've had a chance to try it out. I'm going to try it when it's real bright out & on different backgrounds to see if it washes out.

Glockman and Herm, any updates? Beauftiful pictures above-- it definitely looks like a nice round dot. I'm researching dots for a 10/22 for sure and possibly an AR, and it's basically down to a FastFire III, C-MORE STS, or C-MORE RTS. Any info you have would be very much appreciated; I'm leaning a bit towards the FF III due to the lower cost and the availability of an American Defense QD mount for the FF III.

I'm definitely interested in dot brightness, as I'd like to go with a smaller dot since it will be going on a rifle... but if I can't see the smaller dot then that makes the whole thing irrelevant! Thanks, J

Can you tell me how the Fastfire III compares with the Fastfire II or the STS for Brightness?

Mark K

I have the FFI and FFII. I also have an FFIII that should arrive this week. If it (finally) gets here I'll compare brightness for you.

Sendit

That would be awesome Sendit, work has me tied up hopefully you can shed some light on the subject.

Got the FFIII today and only had time to do a quick comparison to what was handy and that was the FFI (not two). The FFI has a brightness sensor as does the FFIII, so I put them side by side under a very bright light to see what they would do.

There is no comparison. The FFI is WAAAAAAAAAAYYY brighter than the FFIII on any setting. By "WAAAAAAAAAAYYY brighter" I would estimate at least 3x brighter.

The FFIII's brightness settings are very nice though for a rifle set up I think. The settings are consistent and have a good degree of separation between them. The lowest setting is very low and I'm looking forward to seeing that in low light conditions.

Overall design is a vast upgrade IMO from previous versions. The adjustments alone make that true. As stated above, the battery security needs to be tested if riding a slide. I would think it is GTG for a secondary optic on a RAMP for an AR though.....and that's exactly where mine is headed.

Sendit

That would be awesome Sendit, work has me tied up hopefully you can shed some light on the subject.

Got the FFIII today and only had time to do a quick comparison to what was handy and that was the FFI (not two). The FFI has a brightness sensor as does the FFIII, so I put them side by side under a very bright light to see what they would do.

There is no comparison. The FFI is WAAAAAAAAAAYYY brighter than the FFIII on any setting. By "WAAAAAAAAAAYYY brighter" I would estimate at least 3x brighter.

The FFIII's brightness settings are very nice though for a rifle set up I think. The settings are consistent and have a good degree of separation between them. The lowest setting is very low and I'm looking forward to seeing that in low light conditions.

Overall design is a vast upgrade IMO from previous versions. The adjustments alone make that true. As stated above, the battery security needs to be tested if riding a slide. I would think it is GTG for a secondary optic on a RAMP for an AR though.....and that's exactly where mine is headed.

Sendit

I compared my FF2 to the newly arrived FF3 and the brightness is the same. Since the dot is a bit smaller, maybe that's the perception. IAC, the battery change and adjustments are worth it alone. Mine is going on top of my open 930.

I was debating between the FFIII or C-more for my Ruger 22/45. Shoot steel outdoors, anyone have a recommendation for that application?

I can only compare/contrast the FFII, the C-More Slide Ride, and the C-More STS. To me, either of the C-More products are brighter than the FFII. The Slide Ride has the advantage of adjustable diode, the STS has the automatic diode, easy batter changing, and click sight adjustments. Though I do not yet have one, the C-More RTS is the same as the STS, but with a larger Screen.

Mark K.

On that batt compartment I would use 2 small dots of paint as lineup "locked" indicators and witness marks to see if it moves easy to tell at a glance if your all set.

used to have a red dot above the 9 on my old Tasco PDPs auto touch up paint and a toothpick.

might look into one of those for my 10mm since my PDP is getting flaky in its advanced years

John

Edited by Amerflyer48

Tonight I lined up the FFI, FFII and FFIII.

The outlier is the FFI. It is brighter than the other two. I suppose it could be a sensor issue, but I doubt it.

In my informal test I put them under a bright halogen light (as in right under) and observed the dot. It was easy to quickly shift one to another by holding one in each hand with them touching sides. The FFI is the brightest by quite a bit IMO.

In any case I got my FFIII mostly for the adjustment setup and for the battery location. I also had another hunting rig with a RAMP that needed a red dot. For that purpose the FF series is great.

Sendit

• 3 months later...

Just picked up a FF3,8moa w/pic mount yesterday Gonna attempt to slap it on top of my TS .22 conversion slide.

Waiting on a dovetail mount which should arrive next Monday.

So far, not a big fan of the battery on top idea. The lid seems to want to try and cross thread when tightening it up.

Brightness in Auto seems to work pretty good from my limited testing.

The power button is hard to press, but may be a good thing to help keep it from turning on by accident.

Will post more once I get the dovetail mount and get the sight mounted and zeroed.

Wow, I didn't realize it was a different battery. I thought it was the seemingly classic CR2032 that most red dots use. I've been trying to decide whether to upgrade to the FFIII from the FFII or go with the c-more RTS for a .22 pistol. Not sure I'll go with the RTS just yet either, but this has strayed me away from the FF III. Thanks