Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on XDM trigger comparing stock to trigger job or kits?

I recently picked up an XDM 5.25 9mm. While the trigger is stock it is very smooth and the break is OK. I'm guessing it breaks around 5ish pounds. I don't see many XD/XDM pistols localy so I have not tried the custom triggers. I know any of the Smiths that specialize in the XD/XDM can produce a sweet light trigger. I am wondering what I could expect with just a spring change out? Also I am curious what those of you that run XD/XDM's think the trigger job / trigger kit / or specific parts replacement has gained for you performance wise?

I shot a USPSA match this past Sunday and the XDM ran perfect 100% of the time. Steel fell on the first shot and the tight shots were no problem. I even had two A's on the only required shots into the upper A/B scoring area. I used the provided holster and it was not too bad.

Also what pitfalls if any await my XDM adventure as more rounds go down the barrel and I snap off more dryfires?

For perspective I ran a G34 with a Vanek trigger, Sevigny sights, 13 lb recoil spring, Trugrip and a Bladetech for the last 3 years. I did also try a M&P Pro and a CZ along the way briefly.

Overall I really like the XDM 5.25 so far. The rear sight is about the best I have used and I am an old 1911 guy who has had Bomars in the past.

Thanks,

Keith

I use Springer Precision trigger kits. When I used a lighter striker spring alone, the trigger was lighter, but felt mushy compared to the factory spring.

I've since sold my XDm to a friend, but he likes them so much, he's bought 2 more, which I installed SP triggers in.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I installed a PRP Match trigger kit my XDM40 4.5" last year. Aside from a significantly lighter pull, the take-up and reset are much shorter, enabling faster follow-up shots and a more crisp break on the trigger. Putting a polish on the sear and striker also help.

As far as "pitfalls", I have not had too many besides needing to replace a broken slide stop and striker retainer pin. There was a bit of a break-in period when I first got it in 2008, a couple of FTF and FTEs, but those are long gone and it has run flawless for the last 4 years.

From my experience owning and shooting 4 XDm .40s (3.8C, 3.8, 4.5, & 5.25) and feeling a buddy's 9mm 5.25, the factory trigger can be pretty good, or pretty bad. Three of my XDm triggers are fine as-is, out of the box and I have no intention of messing with them. The trigger on my 5.25 was the worst of the lot although it was not terrible. My buddy's trigger on his 9mm 5.25 WAS terrible. I shot my 5.25 a while but eventually installed the PRP Ultimate kit and am very happy. Does it make me shoot any better and help my scores? Probably not, as I said, the factory was not all that bad. So, "it depends", how bad is your facotry trigger, and are you the kind of fellow that likes to mess with his guns?

i'm contemplating a trigger job for my xdm 5.25 as well.

one thing i will say, as someone who waited too long to put a trigger kit in his m&p... while good triggers may not improve your scores... there is something to be said for having a trigger that feels so nice you always keep the gun beside you just so you can pull it. the more you have your gun in your hands, the better, imo. i'd rather have my m&p45c out here just so i can pull the trigger over and over, but instead my xdm 5.25 is here, and i've no desire to pick it up. i alredy know how lackluster its trigger feels. :)

If your are going to "snap off more dryfires" as you say I would recommend you consider the striker retaining roll pin a wear part and replace it on some regular basis. If you don't replace it it eventually break. Dry fire accelerates this since the striker is hitting the pin without being cushioned by the primer of a live cartridge.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent my 5.25 back to the factory for their trigger job (I just don't have time to mess with doing something like that right now), and I like it. I did that after trying the custom shop trigger on the 5.25 at both SHOT and the NRA show. I'm very happy with it, I just have to get used to it now. It breaks cleaner, has a shorter pre-travel, limited over-travel, and resets shorter.

If your are going to "snap off more dryfires" as you say I would recommend you consider the striker retaining roll pin a wear part and replace it on some regular basis. If you don't replace it it eventually break. Dry fire accelerates this since the striker is hitting the pin without being cushioned by the primer of a live cartridge.

+1 on this. Order several of the pins from some place like Springer Precision. Springer also has a nice set of punches and a pin starter that are nice to have.

The shorter reset of a massaged trigger is a huge deal for competition. If you take the time to learn the feel of where the reset is, and don't let the trigger go back much further than that, it will speed things up and make you considerably more accurate.

Wouldn't it be easier / better to just use snap caps than to break & replace parts constantly? As a non-owner I must be missing something. This doesn't sound like a smart thing to do.

Wouldn't it be easier / better to just use snap caps than to break & replace parts constantly? As a non-owner I must be missing something. This doesn't sound like a smart thing to do.

If you are doing dryfire practice every time you rack the slide to cock the gun you are going to eject the snap cap. I suppose you could load a magazine full of them though. The pin is a two minute job to replace, and very inexpensive. If your time is worth anything, it's much faster to dryfire the gun without any additional hassle and just replace the pin periodically.

You can short stroke the slide to reset the firing pin and not eject the snap cap.

Rich

this.

also, once you learn how to squeeze the trigger and not disturb the sights, (which doesn't take very long) actually dropping the striker thousands of times is not necessary. most dry fire drills involving transitions and what not, you're just squeezing the non-reset trigger anyway. unless you're resetting the striker everytime, in which case those drills are doing nothing for you.

I'm a little late to the trigger job discussion but I have two XDm 5.25 9 mm. Got them used but like new condition. One had a stock trigger and the other had a

Springer Precision trigger installed by Canyon Creek. I sent the first gun to Springer Precision and had them do a 3.25 lb. trigger job on it. The results were

a huge improvement over the stock trigger plus it was better than the Canyon Creek one so I called Springer Precision and they said that Canyon Creek just installs the trigger kit but when they (Sp.Precision) do a trigger job they do additional polishing and tweeking of the parts. I could feel a noticeable difference between

the two --- the Springer Precision job had a crisper break and shorter reset. The difference was enough so that I had them do a trigger job on my other XDm.

I just got back from the MGM Ironman match and the XDm ran perfect. My two cents worth.

I'm a little late to the trigger job discussion but I have two XDm 5.25 9 mm. Got them used but like new condition. One had a stock trigger and the other had a

Springer Precision trigger installed by Canyon Creek. I sent the first gun to Springer Precision and had them do a 3.25 lb. trigger job on it. The results were

a huge improvement over the stock trigger plus it was better than the Canyon Creek one so I called Springer Precision and they said that Canyon Creek just installs the trigger kit but when they (Sp.Precision) do a trigger job they do additional polishing and tweeking of the parts. I could feel a noticeable difference between

the two --- the Springer Precision job had a crisper break and shorter reset. The difference was enough so that I had them do a trigger job on my other XDm.

I just got back from the MGM Ironman match and the XDm ran perfect. My two cents worth.

Canyon Creek doesn't install others trigger kits, CC uses the factory parts that are modified.

Rich

Rich,

I just checked the old forum entries and the previous owner said a local gunsmith put in the Springer trigger so I stand corrected.

When I spoke with Springer Precision I thought they actually said Canyon Creek put in the Springer kits but again I could be wrong - like you said they probably said

that CC puts in modified parts. Sorry about that.

I know the trigger job done by Springer was better than the stock trigger and the Springer kit that was in the pistol.

It took about 3 weeks turn around when I had it done a couple months ago.

Jerry

Canyon Creek doesn't install others trigger kits, CC uses the factory parts that are modified.

Rich

I knew that wasn't right....

PRP installs kits, we don't install "kits" as we have our custom shop parts and use those for shop work. There must have been a wired crossed in the communication, as the guys who answer the phone know Rich uses the factory parts and modifies them like SA does.