Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading .223 for 3-Gun

Cap

I'm just getting into reloading. This weekend I took two .223 loads out to the range to test, one 55grn and one 75gr. With the same powder charge in each the 75s hit 4" higher than the 55s at 200yards. My goal was to have the same POI at 200 and use the 55s inside 200yds and the 75s for anything farther. My question is should I try to reduce the load on the 75s or increase the 55s to change the POI? Or is there another way to go about this? I don't have access to a chrono so I cant give velocities for either load.

The loads were as follows:

75grn BTHP 23.5gr Ramshot Tac 2.20OAL Crimped

Hornady 55grn BT 23.5gr Ramshot Tac 2.20OAL Crimped

Any help or thoughts on the subject are appreciated.

Another way that may suit you is this. Make it a 100 yard zero for the 55 and 200 yard zero for the 75's. That way it may be easier to get them to match up on one zero for both without having to go to the extremes of one or both cartridges to close a 4" gap.

Or just figure out which one groups better out of your gun and just shoot one load with one bullet and know exactly where it will hit from contact distance to XXXyds :)

I don't mean to be mean, but;

doing load developing without a crono is like trying to drive at night without headlites.

It can be dangerous, and you really don't know where you are...

get a crono before shooting any hand loads.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I'm just getting into reloading. This weekend I took two .223 loads out to the range to test, one 55grn and one 75gr. With the same powder charge in each the 75s hit 4" higher than the 55s at 200yards. My goal was to have the same POI at 200 and use the 55s inside 200yds and the 75s for anything farther. My question is should I try to reduce the load on the 75s or increase the 55s to change the POI? Or is there another way to go about this? I don't have access to a chrono so I cant give velocities for either load.

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar44.htm

This is an interesting review article on chronos, and they can be had for as little as $115.00

You'll typically use more powder behind a lighter bullet so from your load data it seems logical that the 75 gr POI is higher than the 55's.

I run 23.3 grains of powder behind a 69 gr bullet and 25.4 grains of the same powder behind a 55 gr bullet. I do it to get my POI as close as possible to work with my reticle. I like 2850 fps with a 69 gr bullet and 3100 fps with a 55 gr bullet.

You got some good advice here so far - just wanted to

+1 them both as reinforcement :rolleyes:

1. Using less powder in the heavier bullet will

probably get you similar POI with experimentation

2. You definitely need a Chrono - I've been using my

$70 Chrony for years, and it does everything I need

:cheers:

My loads with the same POI at 200 from a 16" 1:9

24.2 TAC 68 Hornady BTHP

24.8 TAC 55 Hornady FMJBT(bulk)

These are a little light but also match the Hornady Steel Match 55gr ammo.

I have and use a chrono but I found that of little use when trying to match a load to a BDC and match different gr loads.

Edited by Nuke8401

There are a couple of things you might do different. 1st, you are loading those 75gr bullets a little short. The spec is 2.260" uncrimped and you are running 2.200" crimped. I know the max powder charge is a little higher, but with your short load and crimping, you are more than likely in the danger zone on pressure. The Hornady 75gr bullets have extremely high BC and carry thier speed much better at 200yds than the 55gr FMJ. You should be loading those 75gr bullets as long as the magazine will allow you to. Probably some thing in the ball park of 2.240"-2.250" and no crimp. I gave up trying to match up the 75gr and 55gr bullets because of such a vastly different trajectory, but if that is the poison you choose, then do some ladder load work ups with the 75gr and find the accuracy sweet spot. Zero your scope with that new load and then go back and develope a 55gr load to match your needs. Shoot precision stages with the 75gr and CQB stuff with 55s. I ended up going to the Sierra 69gr and Hornady 55s. I worked up two terrific, sub MOA loads which hit within 1moa of each other out to 500yds. Good luck, and please don't blow your gun up.

I just got lucky in that my 52 grain SMK close range loads when zeroed at 100 yards match the 225 yard zero with my 77 grain long range load and the two loads match at 300 400 and 500 on my BDC without dialing.

Pat

I haven't been shooting 3gun for very long but so far what I have seen the stages fall into two categories close range (0-50ish yd) and long range (0-forever) so for my loading I have a heavy bullet loaded to maximum accuracy for the long range stages that my scope is zeroed for and hoser ammo for al the close range stuff that is the cheapest bullet I can find loaded to function reliably in my gun. then I have 2 loads to choose from one for accuracy work and one for budget conscious hosing on the close range stages.

I bet if you checked the 2 loads you listed (not saying that they don't still need work) between 0 and 50 yd they would hit very close to the same place

Mike

As you lilve in the South East it is quite likely that you will ot get much shooting beyond 300 yds. You might consider two different bullets, such as bulk 55 FMJ for all of the close stuff and then use 55 Ballistic tips or V-maxes for the long stuff. If you are really lazy you can find the best load for the long range quality bullet and then just substitute the banger bullets for the close stuff. I have been trying to do this, more as an exploration to see how viable it is than because I'm lazy (which I am just not in this case). So far I am stuck on 55 Ballistic tips and H335 for a long range combo. As I have a big jug of 748 I am still using that up for the close range FMJ stuff. I foresee a huge jug of H335 in my future.

Thanks for the help guys. I picked up some great information here.

I should mention that my biggest reasoning for using the 75s is that my local matches like to incorporate double spinners and Texas Stars at 100yds or so. The 75s seem to bang the steel a little harder.

Don't spend your time trying to do that.

Zero your rifle with your long range ammunition.

Know how your rifle will shoot the cheap stuff at the distances you intend to fire it with the long range zero.

Know how your rifle will shoot the cheap stuff at the distances you intend to fire it with the long range zero.

This.

A different trajectory is pretty much irrelevant as long as you use the 55s within 200 yards and use the 75s for the rest.

This.

A different trajectory is pretty much irrelevant as long as you use the 55s within 200 yards and use the 75s for the rest.

Concur......

• 1 month later...

I ve done this with 55gr and 75gr Hornady bullets. Used in 18 in barrel

Loaded the 55gr to 24.1gr of TAC oal 2.260

Loaded the 75gr to 24.2gr of TAC oal 2.260

Range. Drop. 55gr 2900fps

0. -1.5

100. 2.0.

200. 0.0.

Range. Drop. 75gr 2750fps

0. -1.5

100. 2.0

200. 0.0

These are my results your results may vary!

• 2 months later...

Gunther, I used your post when looking for a good load for 3 gun and started with your info. Had similar results but changed to a 77 gr Federal Match bullet for all long range (200+ yards) and have had great results with a 1 in 7 twist barrel.

Thank you for the post. It really got me started with a load.