Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MGM propeller plate rack

MGM is doing a special bulk order for Alaskan's and I scrimped enough money up to get one of these. It looks cool. Anyone out there use it at there matches. I wanted it because no one up here has one yet and it looked challenging. MGM is doing this large order and not charging shipping. Mike is a great supporter of the shooting sports!

http://mgmtargets.com/tstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=137

My local USPSA club has one, and they call is a Polish plate rack. Challenging by itself. The last match it was used in they increased the dificulty by placing stacked barrels in front of one side of the plate rack, so you can't shoot the plates on that side until it starts spinning.

It takes a bit longer to reset than any other props I have ever seen, so figure that in your match/stage planning.

-Randy

My local USPSA club has one, and they call is a Polish plate rack. Challenging by itself. The last match it was used in they increased the dificulty by placing stacked barrels in front of one side of the plate rack, so you can't shoot the plates on that side until it starts spinning.

It takes a bit longer to reset than any other props I have ever seen, so figure that in your match/stage planning.

-Randy

Pretty much sums it up. We have two that are rarely used because they are heavy, and because of the reset headache (there is a sliding weight that has to be finessed to get the rack to balance in the horizontal orientation). When I use them, I actually design the stage with the PPR starting out diagonal (i.e. sliding weight all the way to one side) rather than horizontal, as this makes reset much faster.

-Randy

Pretty much sums it up. We have two that are rarely used because they are heavy, and because of the reset headache (there is a sliding weight that has to be finessed to get the rack to balance in the horizontal orientation). When I use them, I actually design the stage with the PPR starting out diagonal (i.e. sliding weight all the way to one side) rather than horizontal, as this makes reset much faster.

So would my money be better spent on a texas star and some other steel for the same price?

Pat

Our club has had two for a few years and they get used all the time. If you're not using them you're short changing the club members because they will be seen at bigger matches. The more you shoot them the less intimidating they are.

I'd like to see a 6 plate version.

When I use them, I actually design the stage with the PPR starting out diagonal (i.e. sliding weight all the way to one side) rather than horizontal, as this makes reset much faster.

So how does this work or make reset faster?

Edited by TMC

I shot one of these for the first time this past weekend at the MS Classic. While my initial introduction was a 2 seconds of pure bliss followed by 10 seconds of agonizing misses and windmilling, I can see that it is a manageable, if unforgiving target. I'm putting one on the wish list for our club.

BB

Our club has had two for a few years and they get used all the time. If you're not using them you're short changing the club members because they will be seen at bigger matches. The more you shoot them the less intimidating they are.

They get used occasionally, so folks can get experience with them, but we have so many other target options they are just too easy to leave in the target shed. They are also not that challenging either - sure, the first time everyone is "WOW", but after that the reaction is more "MEH, whatever".

When I use them, I actually design the stage with the PPR starting out diagonal (i.e. sliding weight all the way to one side) rather than horizontal, as this makes reset much faster.

So how does this work or make reset faster?

The resetter does not have to dick about carefully balancing the thing - just tip it all the way to one side, let the weight slide fully, then walk away. When the plates start falling, the target still swings just fine. Try it and you will see what I mean.

-Randy

So would my money be better spent on a texas star and some other steel for the same price?

Pat

It is probably a good idea to have one in the club so that you get experience with it. It's just that the novelty will soon wear off.

As for limitations, they can be a problem for cylinder choked shotguns, so don't place them too far out on a shotgun stage. Also, I would not use one for a USPSA match as we often see one falling plate knocking others off (= lots of reshoots for range equipment failure). For IMA 3-gun matches, the risk is less, particularly if you stipulate in the WSB that plates need not fall from gunfire.

FULL DISCLOSURE: Our PPRs are not from MGM, so the particular model you reference may not have all the issues we have experienced (but it probably will - the basic concept is the same).

I shot one of these for the first time this past weekend at the MS Classic. While my initial introduction was a 2 seconds of pure bliss followed by 10 seconds of agonizing misses and windmilling, I can see that it is a manageable, if unforgiving target. I'm putting one on the wish list for our club.

BB

That target actually belongs to the club I am a member of in the north end of the state. We shoot it in matches three times per month on average. The novelty hasn't seemed to have worn off yet. :)

It needs a new bearing in the front, for this past weekend it was a bit slow.

Edited by retarmyaviator

The first time I shot one I was nervous, afterwards, it did not seem like a big deal. We spent over $30K on steel this year (All but the clay swingers and Windmill from MGM) and I did not even consider the propeller. The Whirlygig (Star) is a much more useful target IMHO for club level matches. For about half, you could get a Whirlygig and a GT Windmill for shotgun clays and have more options.

That is genius!

However, it takes away one of my favorite activities -- Watching shooters try to get that sliding weight juuuuuust right and then creep away in the hopes that it doesn't start tipping... then run back so the COF can hurry up and start!

If I had to choose between a PPR and TX Star, I would definitely get the TX Star. Both are great targets.

I am going back and forth on this. If I get the Polish plate rack I will have something unique that no one in the state has and I could loan it to other shoots to make them more interesting. I only host 1 or 2 shoots a year myself. But it would only be good for shoots its too heavy in reality for me to want to practice on myself. If I get the Star everyone has one but I could practice on it to improve my own skill and I could afford some more steel for the match. Just not sure yet and was hoping to get some insite here. Will have to sleep on it. These bulk steel orders with free shipping is something that normally never happens to Alaska. Shipping a Star up here costs almost as much as the Star.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

The resetter does not have to dick about carefully balancing the thing - just tip it all the way to one side, let the weight slide fully, then walk away. When the plates start falling, the target still swings just fine. Try it and you will see what I mean.

I would have though that would make one of the end weights fall off, I'll have to try it. Thanks!

I would have though that would make one of the end weights fall off, I'll have to try it. Thanks!

It's gone through a couple different generations. The first ones are different than the current ones. The MGM ones are also different than Farley's design.

I don't know how feasible this idea would be because I have never seen one of these, but you would think someone would create some sort of pin stop to make setup easier between shooters.

CM

I don't know how feasible this idea would be because I have never seen one of these, but you would think someone would create some sort of pin stop to make setup easier between shooters.

CM

The ones I have seen already have a pin to keep the whole thing from turning until you finish resting it, but after you pull the pin out you have to balance it with a small weight on a rail. Not difficult but takes a few tries. I personally like any prop like this that moves, flips, flies, swings etc. Too much static stuff already.

Doug

The ones I have seen already have a pin to keep the whole thing from turning until you finish resting it, but after you pull the pin out you have to balance it with a small weight on a rail. Not difficult but takes a few tries. I personally like any prop like this that moves, flips, flies, swings etc. Too much static stuff already.

Doug

Silly Open shooters :cheers:

It's gone through a couple different generations. The first ones are different than the current ones. The MGM ones are also different than Farley's design.

Both of ours have the small slider weight in the middle. It easier to balance than the other design where you have to slide the end weight out little by little.

Both of ours have the small slider weight in the middle. It easier to balance than the other design where you have to slide the end weight out little by little.

Yes, so do ours. I was referring to the slidert weight, not the "barbell" weights on each end - Sorry for the confusion. Typically, we use the barbell weights more with a rod pulled by a Pepper Popper... when hit that thing really starts spinning :devil: .

I built one, but instead of a sliding weight, I used drop off weights on each end. Reset the plates, slide the weights in, it's set. No need to balance, it balances itself. Knock off a plate, it becomes unbalanced, tips to one side, drops the weight, then the other side is heavier, causing it to tip the other way, and then spin..... Do a search on here for home made polish plate rack.....you'll see the one I built. :cheers:

BTW, it cost me a grand total of around $150 to build...... :cheers: