Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 Gen4 or XdM 5.25 for IDPA

This is my first season shooting IDPA, I'm fortunate to have a local club where I belong that has a great program and I have every intention of sticking with it. Currently I already have a Glock 19 Gen4 and shoot it quite well, I also have a XdM 4.5 that I put a Powder River trigger in which is very nice too. The trouble is I seem to shoot the Glock consistently better even with the slightly shorter barrel. I also have a smaller paw so I have never been a fan of the feel of Glocks prior to the Gen4 reduction in grip size. I am looking to step up to something more competition specific in either the XdM 5.25 flavor or a Glack 34 Gen4 and would like suggestions. I already have 5 mags for the XdM and would likely stick with the sights on a 5.25 but definitely do the trigger to match my current 4.5. The Glock would get a sight upgrade and $0.25 trigger job with a Ghost Rocket connector but I would need more mags as the 19's I have obviously wont work, all in all it will probably be a wash financially I'd think so any suggestions people have would be helpful, plus any differences I may see moving to the longer slide versions.

Thanks

The only difference you will see between the Glock 34 and the Glock 19 is that it will be easier to shoot stuff, much longer sight radius, and longer frame, if you can shoot the G19 well you should be able to start shooting the G34 out of the box.

Some mods to consider for the G34; 1. Factory sights have to go, they suck, recommend Dawson Precision or Warren Sevigny Competition. 2. Grip tape. 3. Replace the extended slide stop release with a standard slide stop release, most people hit the extended while shooting and the slide does not lock back. 4. Shoot the gun for awhile before messing with the trigger, the lighter the Glock trigger gets the mushier it gets, some people don't like it, the G34 trigger will be a lighter allready than the G19 because it has a 3.5# connector. 5. Buy lots of ammo and practice.

I assume you know that the XDM will put you in the ESP Division, while the Glock will put you in the SSP division.

I don't see that it makes much difference, though. My club's ESP and SSP shooters seem to run pretty close, in terms of scores.

Pick the gun you feel most comfortable shooting. Both are great guns.

Thanks for the suggestions, safe to say the just a polish job on the 34 would put me pretty close to where my 19 is now then. I had heard that the XdM would be ESP vs SSP for the 34 but wasn't exactly clear as to why. I'm sure this is an old topic but if anyone could enlighten me I'd appreciate it. My XdM as it stands now would put me in ESP so I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to have something more competition oriented for SSP.

XDm is ESP because IDPA considers it a single action gun. Personally, I like the lower bore axis of the Glock and feel more comfortable with it, plus extra mags and parts are cheaper. With a little work, the triggers can both be pretty similar.

I have both a G34 and the 5.25 in 9mm. They are pretty close and it boils down to personal preference. One area I give the 5.25 the edge in is the adjustable rear sight, its a great sight. If you reload and like to play around with different bullet types with the 5.25 rear sight you just dial it in for POA - POI. The bore axis thing is a non-issue. A 1911 has a similar bore axis to the 5.25 and folks seem to do OK with 1911's:) I give the edge to the 5.25 on the trigger also, but this is my personal taste. The Glock has been around longer so its gets an edge there.

You can't make a bad choice here, so enjoy whichever one you choose.

Keith

I'm pretty sure the mags for the XDm will not translate across unless they're .45s -- not 100% on that, just saying you shouldn't base anything on the assumption the spare XDm mags will work in your 5.25. Maybe ask over on the XDTalk forum -- they're pretty knowledgeable over there on that issue, as you would expect.

I chose the 5.25 over the 34. As far as the gun goes, the 5.25 seemed to have it all over the 34 (esp sights), but the Glock aftermarket is head-and-shoulders superior.

ESP or SSP makes no difference. You should shoot the gun you like. Out of the box the 5.25 already has good sights. The talk on the street is that 5.25s are very accurate. If I had no skin in the game it would be the XDm. If you're already a Glock loyalist buy new sights for it and enjoy.

Truth be told I'm a Glock person and wouldn't be caught with a Springfield or an M&P.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to hijack this thread, but have a similar question. I want to shoot IDPA and Steel and have been trying to decide between a G34 and XDM 5.25. Which, if either maybe neither gun, would be a better choice for a guy who wants a gun that is competition ready "out of the box" as opposed to changing triggers, sights, etc.? My preference is to buy bullets to practice rather than buying gun parts. Thanks in advance for your comments.

• 1 month later...

The G34 can run in SSP or ESP, the XD is ESP only. As you have smaller versions of each gun you know both platforms. Pick which ever you wish.

If yo haven't considered the M&P Pro 9mm you should. The grip is different from both Glock and XD, some find it more comfortable.

Also consider going to 40S&W if you reload. You can down load for IDPA to a very mild ~130PF and still shoot major PF (165+) in USPSA.

Well, I went with the 34 and am quite pleased. DP front and adjustable rear, a little spring tweaking, polish here, connector there and it's good to go. Rob made a good point however, I'm now considering something in the .40 variety so I can expand my efforts into USPSA. Hindsight is always 20/20

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for your comments, I also purchased a G34 and ComTac holster. Chris at CPWSA is installing a Dawson adjustable rear and FO front sight. Then all I have to do is practice, practice, practice.

Dr.J

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure the mags for the XDm will not translate across unless they're .45s -- not 100% on that, just saying you shouldn't base anything on the assumption the spare XDm mags will work in your 5.25. Maybe ask over on the XDTalk forum -- they're pretty knowledgeable over there on that issue, as you would expect.

I chose the 5.25 over the 34. As far as the gun goes, the 5.25 seemed to have it all over the 34 (esp sights), but the Glock aftermarket is head-and-shoulders superior.

The XDm mags for a 4.5" will also work on an XDm 5.25" assuming they are the same caliber. To take is a step further, you can also buy a 9mm conversion barrel (I bought a Storm Lake) for an XDm40 4.5" and also buy 9mm XDm mags, and they will also work in the XDm40 frame. So, you can convert your XDm40 to an XDm9 with a 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags. So, not only are XDm mags of a 4.5" compatible with the 5.25", but in addition 9mm mags will work in the .40s&w XDm frame WITH a 9mm CONVERSION barrel.