Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stupid FFL holders

KentG

Why is it a FFL dealer does not know that an individual can ship a firearm out of state to sell as long as it is delivered to a FFL in the state of the buyer. And does NOT have to be shipped FROM a FFL.

I never minded doing transfers. There's nothing complex about it and as long as you're doing it by the book there's no risk to the dealer doing the transfer. No money tied up in a potentially 'stolen' gun; that's the buyer's risk.

I hated that mine stopped accepting transfers from non-FFLs........

.....until he mentioned that it was largely because the folks sending in the guns couldn't include either a copy of their driver's license or a note with their demographics and the buyer's contact info, so he could accurately log the gun in his book, and notify the new owner of its arrival.....

I still hate that I'm inconvenienced -- but I also understand his desire to retain his license.....

Said FFL should know something that basic. IF he had a issue with a gun being possibly stolen and wanting it from a FFL is one thing but he just flat didnt know. He has my name, email and phone plus the buyer has all my contact info. IF he had asked me to send him a copy of my DL I would have.

My father has one and has no problem taking them from individuals but only FFL dealers get a copy of his license. If it is an individual, they get the numbers to verify the license online. I think the problem alot of people have had is more and more people demanding copies of licenses which they are not entitled to or failure to include any information with the gun being recieved ie DL. He is the only one in the area that currently takes them from individuals.

My father has one and has no problem taking them from individuals but only FFL dealers get a copy of his license.

Why the secrecy? The FFL I use posts their FFL online. I keep a copy in my range bag in case I bump into something out of state. When I order something, I just email a link.

My father has one and has no problem taking them from individuals but only FFL dealers get a copy of his license. If it is an individual, they get the numbers to verify the license online. I think the problem alot of people have had is more and more people demanding copies of licenses which they are not entitled to or failure to include any information with the gun being recieved ie DL. He is the only one in the area that currently takes them from individuals.

In the past I have had shippers as in UPS and FedEx require proof I was shipping to an actual FFL. It's why always ask for one or as you mentioned the number to check on the ATF. Never heard back from the one I was dealing with so I guess he figured it out.

The main reason he quit giving it out was he discovered an individual using a copy of it to mail stuff via USPS. The individual I guess never considered the headaches that could cause if something came up on the gun and it looks like it came from a licensee who had never seen the gun before.

Having bought and sold way too many guns across state lines, I find it fascinating that a good 10 percent of ffls believe that it is illegal to receive a gun from a non ffl holder. I didn't understand how such a large percentage of the population could be wrong about the same thing, and then I thought about our elected officials. Now I'm amazed that 90 percent of ffls have it right.

Edited by nontactical