Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 4: Episode 10 (17Apr12)

Why not just holster the gun before running to the other side of the wall? That's what it's there for. Dang lawyers.

I thought last years challenges were more exciting but I don't miss the lack of silly drama.

I'd like to see a short segment on each show where a competitor or expert demos their area of expertise. Ex. JJ explains USPSA, Burkett shows off 3 Gun.

Did they actually put people up on a tower and have them rappel down without any kind of training? There seemed to be a safety line and the rappelling device they were using looked fairly simple to use, but having taught rappelling in the past, there are things that can go wrong just the same. I'd really like to know what the heck they were going to do if someone got a piece of glove caught in the device. Or what if someone went past a landing?

Draw, load from the tray, shoot, unload, holster, move repeat... If they are going for realism by rappelling, then I would have preferred they started with a loaded gun in the holster and reloaded as needed as they went.

The shotgun and rifle challenge was pretty good. I'd love to have all those props for a match!

Did they actually put people up on a tower and have them rappel down without any kind of training?

Rappelling isn't brain surgery, and if I recall correctly, they all said they'd rappelled before. It also seems safe to assume they at least covered the basics of whatever rappeling device they were using (figure 8? breaker bar? I don't recall).

What I thought was off about that was that they all wore gloves. Assuming they were using a modern nylon rope and a decent friction device, gloves are simply one more thing that can go wrong. I ran a climbing school and guide service for several years and never found any need for me or my students to wear gloves when rappelling unless we were using an older rope (something we avoided for obvious reasons).

Draw, load from the tray, shoot, unload, holster, move repeat... If they are going for realism by rappelling, then I would have preferred they started with a loaded gun in the holster and reloaded as needed as they went.

I wondered about that as well. In particular the unload and clear before walking over to the other window seemed to invite a lot of unnecessary gun handling. A simple retention holster would have been just as safe (if not safer) and would have made for a faster stage.

BB

That's Hollywood liking to see the slide being racked before the first shot...

On the other hand, I thought I saw a bunch of sweeping the left arm or the head while drawing or moving on the platform so maybe an empty gun was to satisfy the lawyers...

I was under the impression that one or two of this season's competitors were lefties. Were they eliminated already? I can only recall right side draws.

I'm more than a little annoyed at this episode, and not just for my favorite Chee getting knocked out. Both challenges were boring timed events rather than head-to-head matchups. Chee is a great shooter but doesn't seem as fluid or practiced at moving around and transitioning. When watching the SWAT challenge I commented that Gary looked like he had run a field course in his time, and later did find that Gary is a USPSA shooter in addition to his "renactor" title that History uses for him.

Then the speed-unloading parts of the tower challenge. Very silly. It's just a misplaced emphasis, asking the wrong question of what skills are useful and used in the real world. Rapid-firing a sniper rifle to walk rounds into a target is another bad example lately.

I'll add "movement with a loaded gun" to my complaint since Season 1 that the TS directors are deathly afraid of showing USPSA-style shooting multiple rounds at multiple targets at speed. I think they believe it would be "too scary" for the public. Other than the carnival zip lines, vehicles, or wheel-thingy from last year, there's only been one occasion where competitors actually shot while moving (the Red eminination challenge where they shot through the port in the moving wall), and it was so controlled as to be laughable.

Edited by SJ

Then the speed-unloading parts of the tower challenge. Very silly.

I wonder if the producers would have had a cow if the one of the shooters decided to "speed unload" by dumping the mag and just firing the round in the chamber...

Edited by Skydiver

Then the speed-unloading parts of the tower challenge. Very silly.

I wonder if the producers would have had a cow if the one of the shooters decided to "speed unload" by dumping the mag and just firing the round in the chamber...

kalifornia, HELLO, be glad there is a show at all. I thought it was a better episode, than some others.

I think that there must have been a lot of detailed instructions regarding the CoF that we did not get.

Can you imagine if Colby had to issue a FTDR ? :roflol:

Don't make him pull your name out of an ammo can...

(For those who don't remember, I'm referring to the episode when the contestants tried to game the system by forcing a tie during elimination. Colby sort of had a surprised and angry look on his face. I think surprised because all the footage the night before indicated there would be a unanimous vote.)

I think that there must have been a lot of detailed instructions regarding the CoF that we did not get.

Can you imagine if Colby had to issue a FTDR ? :roflol:

HAHA

And yeah there is a lot of instruction/tutorial given off camera, restrictions imposed, things like that. A lot of things that makes you go, "well why didn't they just...", and the answer is usually because they were told not to.

Then the speed-unloading parts of the tower challenge. Very silly. It's just a misplaced emphasis, asking the wrong question of what skills are useful and used in the real world. Rapid-firing a sniper rifle to walk rounds into a target is another bad example lately

Walking in rounds or using the splash to make an adjustment is a widely accepted practice.

Furlong "walked" his rounds to make his 1.5 mile hit.

Why not just holster the gun before running to the other side of the wall? That's what it's there for. Dang lawyers.

I'm one of those "dang lawyers" who would have advised the producers that allowing the competitors to repeatedly holster live guns while on the clock is not a great idea. I am aware of several accidental gun shot injuries that have occurred while shooters are carelessly or hurriedly holstering loaded guns.

Maybe it's my "dang lawyer" mentality, but as soon as I saw the rapelling wall, I turned to my wife and said, "I sure hope they make these monkeys unload before they reholster."

Amazing how everyone asks "why don't they just re-holster the loaded gun"?

But remember that all competitions I know-of (IDPA/USPSA/Steel Challenge) none allows re-holstering a loaded gun on the clock

One thing that really caught my eye, though:

During the Elimination challenge, looks like one competitor got the rifle tangled-up on the barrels, was that a 180-violation? Can't see where's the crowd/workers were, so can't tell but it sure looked like a bad unintended muzzle-sweep.

Edited by SlowShooter

But remember that all competitions I know-of (IDPA/USPSA/Steel Challenge) none allows re-holstering a loaded gun on the clock

USPSA: It's allowed, just can't be required in a COF

I agree with the unload and holster during the repell down.. but window to window - why even holster it?.. seemed funny

Edited by D.Hayden

USPSA: It's allowed, just can't be required in a COF

I agree with the unload and holster during the repell down.. but window to window - why even holster it?.. seemed funny

Yes, for USPSA, a competitor is allowed te re-holster, but a CoF may not require that the competitor re-holster within a string. (See 8.2.5).

As for IDPA, I did a quick scan through the rulebook using the word "holster", and I don't see where it prohibits re-holstering on the clock.

I'm guessing that the clearing and holstering between the windows is to cover the case of a dropped gun, or a gun getting yanked out of the holster if the shooter or he gun gets tangled up in the ropes. Although such a modern gun like a FN should not go off if dropped, there is always the myth among that uninformed public that all guns go off by themselves when dropped.

Edited by Skydiver

One thing that really caught my eye, though:

During the Elimination challenge, looks like one competitor got the rifle tangled-up on the barrels, was that a 180-violation? Can't see where's the crowd/workers were, so can't tell but it sure looked like a bad unintended muzzle-sweep.

From what I could see from the video, the top rail of the FS got hung on the barrel bouncing the gun out of the left arm cradle that Chee had the gun in. The angle for the muzzle still looked good.

On the other hand, the muzzle of the shotgun was definitely way past the 180 whenever they dropped it on it's sling. Maybe within a 3 ft circle of the shooters' feet, though. :lol:

Look on the bright side, it looks like they actually let the contestants run around with the loaded FS with a round in the chamber... or at least they editted out any loading/reloading.

On the other hand, the muzzle of the shotgun was definitely way past the 180 whenever they dropped it on it's sling. Maybe within a 3 ft circle of the shooters' feet, though.

But it was unloaded. They were loading one round at a time.

On the other hand, the muzzle of the shotgun was definitely way past the 180 whenever they dropped it on it's sling. Maybe within a 3 ft circle of the shooters' feet, though.

roflol.gif I bet that made the lawyers happy!

After seeing a close up of the serrations on the end of the shotgun, I'd be frightened to have one swinging around and sticking me in the calf while I'm running. I'd rather have that muzzle pointed away from my body if possible.

I'm one of those "dang lawyers" who would have advised the producers that allowing the competitors to repeatedly holster live guns while on the clock is not a great idea. I am aware of several accidental gun shot injuries that have occurred while shooters are carelessly or hurriedly holstering loaded guns.

Maybe it's my "dang lawyer" mentality, but as soon as I saw the rapelling wall, I turned to my wife and said, "I sure hope they make these monkeys unload before they reholster."

2985790724_30c397a42e.jpg

I'm just glad you don't have a problem with nice trigger jobs. :cheers:

It looked like the rifle was loaded, but the shotgun wasn't.