Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ghost Holster vs. CR Speed vs. Safariland 0112 Hol

baron45

You may wish to try a search. This has been discussed at great length and in incredible detail here in the past.

I use CR Speed but have never tried a Ghost or an 012. IMHO the CR is only a good starting point. Get the Arredondo parts for it (muzzle spud, locking bar) and then you have a great holster.

do not buy an 012, i repeat do not buy an 012. no matter how hard i try to lock the gun down i can still pull it out of the holster.

i've seen people with the ghost holster, once locked down, grab the gun and yank, jerk and pull as hard as they humanly could and it still stayed in the holster.

i've not tried the cr speed yet.

just my 2 cents.

As usual here you'll get votes for all of them, so I'll throw mine in.

The Ghost is by far the best.

I've owned them all along with a few others. Based on speed, comfort, and security, the ghost wins in all categories.

IMO of course.

do not buy an 012, i repeat do not buy an 012. no matter how hard i try to lock the gun down i can still pull it out of the holster.

i've seen people with the ghost holster, once locked down, grab the gun and yank, jerk and pull as hard as they humanly could and it still stayed in the holster.

i've not tried the cr speed yet.

just my 2 cents.

Something must be wrong because I can lock mine and shake it upside down and it won't come out. I can draw it but with great force.

As usual here you'll get votes for all of them, so I'll throw mine in.

The Ghost is by far the best.

I've owned them all along with a few others. Based on speed, comfort, and security, the ghost wins in all categories.

IMO of course.

Unless you hit the end of the barrel on a prop or chair :)

I've seen a couple hit the ground because of that, it isn't a holster unless it covers the end of the barrel in my book, and I think the CR speed has a good design and it fits all my guns from SS to Open.

"Unless you hit the end of the barrel on a prop or chair"

I'm not sure what you mean. You could hit the end of the barrel with a sledge hammer and all it is going to do is break my fiber optic and knock my ass on the ground. With gun safely in holster.

I've had the CR speed, it's a good holster, but doesn't compete with the ghost imo.

A few other things about the ghost;

If you have to squat, there is nothing to get in your way. One of my issues with the CR and 012

I think the biggest advantage is you can draw from the fully locked position without changing your draw stroke. Althought I don't lock it unless there is pre-draw movement, it's nice to know I could do cartwheels before the draw and not have to think about it. That can't be done with any of the other holsters. (not counting the "ghost type", extreme, limcat, etc.)

I have the CR Speed, which I bought on sale for about $130 (at either Dawson or Shooters Connection), which was substantially cheaper than any of the others.

It is very simple in design, very adjustable, and I like the fact that it has a muzzle cup. I'm very happy with it.

DogmaDog

That can't be done with any of the other holsters.

I take it you didn't notice that the CR Speed locking lever also serves as a tension adjustment. Continue turning the locking lever clockwise past the lock position and you'll find that you can draw, but the tension is increased. This makes running, jumping starts quite safe. :ph34r:

I use 012's and love them. Seems like it would be very difficult to drop a gun unless you adjusted the draw tension super light. (I hope I didn't just jinx myself at the Area 8 Championship this weekend :lol: )

I owned a CR Speed WSM and hated it because the gun didn't dislodge from the holster in a natural fashion, tough to explain but it felt too mechanical too me. The 012 just feels smooth. I did like how you can adjust the CR such that the gun doesn't wobble at all in the holster, very cool, and the lock is nice, but I'd prefer my old Bianchi Hemisphere over the CR. The Hemisphere was smooth.

I have never tried the Ghost so I cannot comment.

Get a decent holster and use it for a year, develop your style, determine what you like in a holster, then experiment with another holster and develop your own opinions based on your shooting style.

I've never tried the 012 but I've used most of the other "race" holsters available.

The Ghost is my choice by a significant margin. As with most of these kind of questions, there's a large element of "what matters to you" in the "best" choice.

Try to find a way to, at least, try all of them. Some will be instant rejects for you.

All in all, it won't matter too much in the end unless you are really really picky and want the "best" :P

Kevin

Ok, My turn,

I have a C-R Speed for Limited and Open, two seperate holsters. I trimmed the length of my Limited model so taht it doesn't stick me. I added teh Arredondo "Spud", but I have seen people have trouble withthe locking device. I kept my original lock. The LimCat is a fine holster, if you shoot a STI/SV tpe of gun, the square trigger guard makes the difference. I won one and even after putting in all the parts, it just did not feel safe with my Para. The gun rocks too much for my liking so I sold it. No regrets. If you have a squared trigger guard LimCat, otherwise C-R Speed.

My Opinion

Jim Norman

"Unless you hit the end of the barrel on a prop or chair"

I'm not sure what you mean. You could hit the end of the barrel with a sledge hammer and all it is going to do is break my fiber optic and knock my ass on the ground. With gun safely in holster.

I think he means have the barrel pushed up/backwards from directly in front of the muzzle. For example when sitting down for a seated start, or some shenanigans that might have you perofm some movement that might lift the gun out of the holster by pushing up on the muzzle.

It might be something more common for tall people, I know I've had the muzzle end of my CR-speed bopped around on an obstical a couple times. No idea if that would negatively affect retention in the ghost as I haven't seen on in person, but I know some of the limcat guys at my club bag their guns between runs to avoid this type of problem. (then again some don't, and we haven't had a dropped gun in quite a while AFAIK).

Smitty,

Yep, what Raz said, I also don't like getting my pants dirty from the residue on the end of the gun :)

If you wear the gun in front of you the CR holster might stick you but if you wear it correctly (wink) you can squat all day and it will never stick you :) (If it is a big match I take my belt of all the time anyways because I like it tight and that isn't super comfortable, so that isn't an issue for me.)

Holsters are such a personal preference it is almost silly to say any is better than the other. I just like the simple and flexible design of the CR speed holster and pouches, being able to use the same rig for my raceguns and Caspian SS is nice.

ps. You can draw from it when it is locked if you have it set right.

For me, one of the most important features a holster must have is total, precise adjustability over all four aspects of the gun's final position: Height, cant or "rake" (muzzle angle, viewed from the side), (I'm making up terms now ;) ), "Twist" viewed from the top, the distance between the bottom of the grip and your belt or body, and "Tilt" - the muzzle angle, viewed from the top. Even before the 012 provided that, I would spend endless hours taping stuff to my 010 to get it in the "perfect position." Then I'd shoot that same holster for years, because I did want to put in the time required to "break in" a new holster.

But that's just me - I'm hyper-sensitive to subtle details. I've noticed a lot of folks who just strap on a holster and start shooting.

The benefit of that, for me, was after some time, I'd become so tuned it to "where the gun is," that it feel like the gun was already in my hand when I was in the ready position.

While the 012 does not have the absolute tension locking controls of some of the other holsters, it has always been completely satisfactory for me in that department. In an incredible number of matches over many years, I never "lost" a gun.

be