Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pre-ban S_I mags

Jfkayne

Hi everyone,

I posted this in another section but I wasn't sure what forum was the best place to ask it...

I can't even begin to tell you how much time I have spent looking for pre-ban mags for my STI Edge in .40. I can't seem to find them anywhere. I see them in the classified section in .40 from time to time but it seems that they come up very infrequently. Is there any better way to find them that I am missing.... And yes, I know I should move but that is not an option for my family. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Would love to just buy a factory STI mag but in order to meet my states pre-ban requirements, the mags must have been manufactured prior to 1994. I have a 10rd STI mag now..... Just looking for one a bit longer for limited shooting.

Would love to just buy a factory STI mag but in order to meet my states pre-ban requirements, the mags must have been manufactured prior to 1994. I have a 10rd STI mag now..... Just looking for one a bit longer for limited shooting.

Last I knew, there were no date stamps on the mags. That makes them all pre-ban :devil:

Last I knew, there were no date stamps on the mags. That makes them all pre-ban :devil:

I was considering that but people I have spoken to said to make sure I can prove they are pre-ban. I think this is one of those scenarios where you would be guilty until proven innocent.

Is the burden of proof on the prosecutor to show that you knowingly possess a post-ban mag? If so, I'd think it'd be very difficult to prove a case against you unless you ordered some new mags and there was a paper trail of receipts or credit card statements.

Or, is every hicap mag presumed to be a post-ban unless you can prove it is a pre-ban?

It's an important distinction that you should consult a good lawyer licensed in your state about. I'm guessing the law is the former rather than the latter, otherwise very few people (if any) in your location would be shooting STIs.

I was considering that but people I have spoken to said to make sure I can prove they are pre-ban. I think this is one of those scenarios where you would be guilty until proven innocent.

How are these "people" proving their mags are pre-ban?

Kind of hard to prove they are not preban.... sure, they styles have changed, somewhat, but unless they were stamped with dates or LE Only, kind a hard to tell. I guess someone out there could be called as expert witness to tell them apart by finish, or length, whatever.

To confuse matters more, most states allow for the bodies of the mags to be replaced if they are damaged, or worn out, just like a part. So if you replace your body, and later the springs and followers as they wear out, what do you really have at that point?

If you are that worried about it, skip the hassle and shoot Limited-10 , unless someone supplies you a notarized receipt declaring them pre-ban for you.

I thought I had read somewhere that certain states where prosecuting if you had standard capacity magazines and the burden fell to the owner to prove they were exempt by being pre-ban. But I also thought that this was mainly being used as an add-on and not typically as the primary charge.

I think I am going to take the advice of some and just try to find a place to order tubes. I just placed an order from a site and it seems to have gone through. I will let you know if it works.

This is a public forum.

I think what you meant to say is you bought tubes to repair your preban mags, right? :ph34r:

I think I am going to take the advice of some and just try to find a place to order tubes. I just placed an order from a site and it seems to have gone through. I will let you know if it works.

This is a public forum.

I think what you meant to say is you bought tubes to repair your preban mags, right? :ph34r:

Yep. And they're good about tracking this kind of thing down (and spinning it). Well, BATFE is. And they do love to spin. Some might even call it lying. And when they sign a sworn statement comprised of such spin to get a warrant, some would call that perjury. It's interesting to note that AUSA's rarely go after perjurious federal LEOs.

The burden of proof is on on the prosecution. And the prosecution basically has unlimited funds with which to do so.

That aside, you may beat the wrap but you can't beat the ride. They will ruin your life in the process.

As for "move", people with that genius answer need to keep it to themselves.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Going to return the tubes now and just wait for some true pre ban mags to become available. It's just not worth it. I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I actually had proof that they were real. Looks like I am just going to have to keep searching the classifieds.p :(

Why don't you contact a CA company like bar-sto and see what they say? I am sure that someone has dealt with this before and possibly have a line on the bodies you are looking for.

No date stamp but with the STI tubes, the pre ban tubes have four holes on each side *at least the tubes I have seen* and the post ban have two holes on each side. Anyone else noticed this?

Joe W.

• 2 weeks later...